There are 249 users in the forums

Do we have the frontrunners for COY, DROY, and Comeback Player of the Year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Shouldn't Alex be getting the most improved award? I always thought of comeback award goes to a guy that was out for a long period of time from the game. Like when vick won.

Tom Brady won Comeback player of the year the season after he tore his ACL

Steve Smith of the Panthers also a good choice for comeback player of the year this season, 1200+ yards so far after only 500 last year.
The stat they showed last night of sacks/snaps played was shocking, with Aldon having less than half of the other sack leaders in terms of snaps played. Amazing.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Shouldn't Alex be getting the most improved award? I always thought of comeback award goes to a guy that was out for a long period of time from the game. Like when vick won.

Tom Brady won Comeback player of the year the season after he tore his ACL

Steve Smith of the Panthers also a good choice for comeback player of the year this season, 1200+ yards so far after only 500 last year.

Yep, forgot about Steve Smith. He could be in the mix as well. However, I doubt he wins. Voters will clearly see his resurgence was the result of Cam, not an injury to Smith.

As of now, it is Alex versus Stafford. Comes down to these last two weeks.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes. I think we have strong candidates for all of those.

Baalke should get executive of the year, don't you agree?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. .
  • buck
  • Veteran
Smith now has 13 sacks on the season,

He need two sacks to break Javon Kearse's NFL rookie record of 14.5.

We play Seattle and St Louis in our last two games. I think, hope to hell, that he gets the record.

If Aldon ties or breaks the record, he gets DOY.
If we win the last 2 games and play in the NFC Championship [even if we lose] Harbaugh is a lock.

I don't know enough about Stafford but nobody was more maligned than Smith - it would be great to see it happen.

If Aldon breaks the rookie sack record and has more sacks than Von - Aldon will win.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Executive of the Year: Trent Baalke
Coach of the Year: Jim Harbaugh
Comeback Player of the Year: Alex Smith
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Aldon Smith
Defensive MVP: Justin Smith
I agree on Aldon. I don't think he has to out-pace Miller by 3-4 if he breaks the single season rookie record and miller stays where he is at.
What was nice to see about Aldon, was showing his ability standing up, as well as lining up on the defensive line. I even saw Aldon drop back into coverage a few times. Get his coverage up to speed next offseason, and he'll be a complete outside linebacker.
i sure hope harbaugh is a lock bc i think rodgers has more to do with the packers success than mccarthy and harbaugh did more things with less resources.

Alex's biggest competition i would say is Tebow bc everyone labeled him a bust and he started out as the 3rd string QB and he has really turned that offense around. but i think if we get to the NFC championship Alex should be a lock

As far as Aldon goes, even though hes a nickel package pass rusher he still out sacks von miller so i would think that would work to his advantage. im so friggin excited to see this kid's future!!!!!!!!!!!! watch out straham, aldon is going to break your season sack record sooner or later

Originally posted by jedi9er:
The stat they showed last night of sacks/snaps played was shocking, with Aldon having less than half of the other sack leaders in terms of snaps played. Amazing.

Well that number is really skewered, since an every down player will be on the field during run plays - so those add to his snap numbers, even though he has zero chance of a sack on the play.
Originally posted by dj43:
Harbaugh = no brainer

Alex = almost no brainer

Aldon = wishful thinking. Miller is an every down player versus a situational player. Unless Miller stinks it up in the last two games while Aldon adds another 3 or 4 sacks, I see no way Aldon wins it.

Aldon made a huge splash on national TV just like RGIII did before the heisman. It ain't over yet
Share 49ersWebzone