There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have the frontrunners for COY, DROY, and Comeback Player of the Year?

An amazing season just seems to get better and better; every time it looks like our run might be done, we come up huge.

With only two games left, I think we have the frontrunners for 3 of the major season long awards.

Harbaugh is a lock for COY.

Alex Smith, for all his faults (he certainly showed his lack of accuracy, but he's playing extremely smart, not making any mistakes and making throws when he needs to), is a great story after everyone gave up on him. Some could make the argument for Tebow, but he hasn't really come back from anything--he just started. Smith is going to finish with 3000 yards and around 20 TDs to only 6 INTs and I can't really think of anyone better suited for Comeback Player of the Year.

Lastly, Aldon Smith for DROY. Von Miller gets all the hype because he was the higher pick and plays for the darling of the national media Denver Tebows, but Aldon Smith now has more sacks and really only started to get playing time in the 4th game this year. He's coming on very strong at the end of the year, and his beast mode performance against PIT on national TV is going to help.
[ Edited by merm49 on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:53 AM ]
harbaugh has two more games to coach in order to be a lock. I hope and pray that this won't happen but he can lose two games while Green Bay win their remaining. McCarthy may get the nod over harbaugh. Again, I hope this won't happen.
HELL YES!!!
Alex has to be the front runner.

Aldon not starting may hurt him because he's a situational pass rusher while Miller in an every down player.
Miller at this point is a better OLB...but Aldon at this point is the better pass rusher.
Ultimately I think Aldon will have to out sack Miller my 3-4 to win in.
Yes. I think we have strong candidates for all of those.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
harbaugh has two more games to coach in order to be a lock. I hope and pray that this won't happen but he can lose two games while Green Bay win their remaining. McCarthy may get the nod over harbaugh. Again, I hope this won't happen.

There's no way any other coach will win. Harbaugh will win, without a doubt. He took a 6-10 team and made them 11-3 so far. Whether they go 13-3 or 11-5, we made the playoffs and have been one of the best teams in the NFL all year long.

There's no way any other coach will win. Harbaugh will win, without a doubt. He took a 6-10 team and made them 11-3 so far. Whether they go 13-3 or 11-5, we made the playoffs and have been one of the best teams in the NFL all year long.

Only slight chance McCarthy had was if they went 16-0, now that that isn't going to happen, Harbaugh is a lock for CoY.

Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Alex has to be the front runner.

Aldon not starting may hurt him because he's a situational pass rusher while Miller in an every down player.
Miller at this point is a better OLB...but Aldon at this point is the better pass rusher.
Ultimately I think Aldon will have to out sack Miller my 3-4 to win in.

If Aldon beats Miller by 3-4, he would own the rookie sack record, so I don't think he has to get that high. However, Aldon would probably need to have more sacks than Miller.

Also don't forget that Miller was benched for a while because he was so bad against the run. He may be an every-down player right now, but I don't think he's an amazing every-down players, and the voters see that. If you look at sacks per passing play, Aldon's statistics become even more impressive. Even more eye-opening is that most of Aldon's sacks came with just 4 rushing. I don't think that's the case with Miller.

Also, I think we also have the inside track on DPOY with Justin Smith. I think Willis was the frontrunner before he got injured.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:00 AM ]

• Shemp
  • Veteran
I think we deserve all three, but Von Miller will get the DROY because of he's more of a glamour pick. It should go to Aldon though. We *should* win all 3, but I think we'll get HCOY and CPOY.

If the Broncos beat the Pats AND we lost to the Steelers, I think HCOY would have gone to John Fox. Last night's game and the Bronco's loss sealed the deal in my mind.
Shouldn't Alex be getting the most improved award? I always thought of comeback award goes to a guy that was out for a long period of time from the game. Like when vick won.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Harbaugh = no brainer

Alex = almost no brainer

Aldon = wishful thinking. Miller is an every down player versus a situational player. Unless Miller stinks it up in the last two games while Aldon adds another 3 or 4 sacks, I see no way Aldon wins it.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
HELL YES!!!

This. Two of them shouldn't even be close. DROY will be close, but Aldon will win.
It comes down to this.

Harbaugh vs. McCarthy
Smith vs. Stafford
Aldon vs. Von Miller
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM ]