LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

did the niners get a break on williams muffed punt catch

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i really couldnt tell if it was the right call...if it wasnt i dont care....it looked like the steeler crowded williams, but did not touch the ball until after williams did.....it brought back for me memories of phillip admas dropping that punt vs saints last year on MNF...
Looked to me like the guy on the Steelers touched him too soon. But it was hard to tell.
do we need threads to breakdown each critical play?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I thought we got the benefit of the doubt on that play. And it was about time that a questionable call went our way. In previous games, it felt like the refs were making all the close calls to the benefit of the opposing team.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Wtf is this? All championship teams get breaks. f**k wit it
Need Ginn back.
11-3
nah look at it closely the steeler hit it first. maybe it can argued that we forced the steeler into the catch but he definitely touched it first.
The Steeler player bumped a 49ers player into Williams which is legal but for some inexplicable reason he reached out and touched Williams with his left hand before the ball had gotten there, that is clear on the replay and is what made the call a good one.
you can't touch the returner before the ball touches him. steelers guy reached out and hit williams arm before the ball got there. good penalty call, case closed

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
do we need threads to breakdown each critical play?

yes we do--you dont but we do
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Looked to me like the guy on the Steelers touched him too soon. But it was hard to tell.

yeah the gunner swiped at the ball for some reason.
  • 2w2k
  • Veteran
The rule says not to "interfere" with the fair catch. Touching the player for fair catch is obvious. Bumping another player into the catcher is also a penalty.
So there should be no challenge here. Case now closed.
To me it looked like the Steelers player stuck his hand in before Kyle was able to catch it, then he ran into him so either way its interference.
We take what we given and just play on
Share 49ersWebzone