There are 154 users in the forums

Williams vs. Edwards: debate settled

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Edwards was a healthy scratch, to me that says a lot.

It does but it may have been that he was healthy but had still not had enough reps to convince JH that he was on the same page with Alex.

Just saying...
then why did he play last time?

IDK but perhaps JH thought he would be better than he was last time.
Williams has played lights out but we do need Braylon and his size at some point. Or somebody that can replace that. Williams is a small wes type reciever.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Williams has played lights out but we do need Braylon and his size at some point. Or somebody that can replace that. Williams is a small wes type reciever.

Last I checked, Wes leads his team in yards and receptions. I think Joshua Morgan would be a decent big body when he comes back.

What size? Williams' catching area on any given pass > Braylon's. Even on back shoulder throws and fades. This has been apparent all year. Braylon is a big guy who plays smaller than he's listed. Williams is the opposite.

The trend in the NFL is toward big TEs and smaller, quicker WRs. Guys like Fitz or Calvin Johnson are incredibly rare. The most successful passing attacks in this league don't depend on WR size much.
  • dj43
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:

What size? Williams' catching area on any given pass > Braylon's. Even on back shoulder throws and fades. This has been apparent all year. Braylon is a big guy who plays smaller than he's listed. Williams is the opposite.

The trend in the NFL is toward big TEs and smaller, quicker WRs. Guys like Fitz or Calvin Johnson are incredibly rare. The most successful passing attacks in this league don't depend on WR size much.

We haven't seen what a healthy Edwards can do here. He has a very limited amount of time at the beginning of the season to learn the offense, and then was injured at the beginning of the second game. In the first game, he made a nice play on a slant pass as well as a good sideline catch. Those two are the only pieces of evidence we have seen here.
if frank gore is the inconvenient truth then kyle williams nick name should be mr dependable
don't get ur hopes up we might see Braylon pretty soon.........as soon as Saturday highly unlikely Ginn plays come saturday so Braylon will prob dress

you guys are comparing a banged up injured Braylon Edwards to Kyle Williams?? Williams has done a great job with his oppotunites, and shows great ability.. When Braylon is healthy he is one of the leagues best!!! Braylon when healthy is a guy that will help you out escpecially in the post season.. Williams is a sure #3 and will see alot of time as a #2 bc of his ability, dont get me worng, I love Kyle Williams and what he has done, but Braylon is a sure threat when healthy especially in the red zone even though he hasnt showed it bc of injuries.. someone back me up...
Amen to that. But if he gets to the field again? Well Teddy Ginn might be hurt. WHo knows maybe he will play his tail off in the playoffs to earn a contract in the offseason?
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
you guys are comparing a banged up injured Braylon Edwards to Kyle Williams?? Williams has done a great job with his oppotunites, and shows great ability.. When Braylon is healthy he is one of the leagues best!!! Braylon when healthy is a guy that will help you out escpecially in the post season.. Williams is a sure #3 and will see alot of time as a #2 bc of his ability, dont get me worng, I love Kyle Williams and what he has done, but Braylon is a sure threat when healthy especially in the red zone even though he hasnt showed it bc of injuries.. someone back me up...

I have to side with the Williams suppoters. Braylon has always been an underpreformer. First, I'd rather see hungry young talent on the field. Second, Williams is better for Alex Smith's game. He gets open underneath on routes that Smith throws well. Smith doesn't throw the deep ball well, or isn't throwing it well now and I'd rather an agile speedy willams get the ball and run with it than Edwards post up and not do much.

Originally posted by VA49er:
I have to side with the Williams suppoters. Braylon has always been an underpreformer. First, I'd rather see hungry young talent on the field. Second, Williams is better for Alex Smith's game. He gets open underneath on routes that Smith throws well. Smith doesn't throw the deep ball well, or isn't throwing it well now and I'd rather an agile speedy willams get the ball and run with it than Edwards post up and not do much.

I agree, however even though he has underperformed, he has put together a few solid seasons (in the 800-900 yard range). I'm thinking in terms of next season as it relates to Braylon Edwards, who could be re-signed for even cheaper and be a training camp cut if we don't see much out of him.
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN
Why was 49ers WR Braylon Edwards inactive Monday? Jim Harbaugh says decision was based on practice and games. bit.ly/t8whi7
Crabtree, Morgan, Williams, VD.

Are we content with that as the future of our receiving corps?
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

I disagree with this...if our offense runs better and more efficiently, I give this squad- minus VD since he is a tight end a big thumbs up. A lot of people want to look at the stats of Edwards, but if your team has a system like us and its working, then we don't need Edwards...sorry. If its not broke, let's not try to fix it. And in regards of the whole Red Zone struggles, I figure that is us trying to do things we don't do well. Both losses accounted for the Game plan to be changed to passing more often and honestly we almost lost the Giants game that way. Our offense is based on this "Pound the Rock"...its what has got us here.
I think every Quote un Quote Elite team (i.e. Steelers and Giants) we've beaten has this to say after their loss in that we "don't do anything special."
So keep working the balanced offense rather than some crazed version of the run and shoot, greatest show on turf obsessions that many want here. Simply put, its not our style. Screw the whole "Open up the offense" talk, we were beating teams the 49er way before hand...plus it was also more exciting before that Giants game too. This team does not let down and I love it. That was a long explanation, but yes I love the receiving core...I'm content with what we have. Next year we get Morgan back and I think a Diamond in the rough whatever Baalke can find to help out what Edwards cannot then so be it.
Share 49ersWebzone