LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Williams vs. Edwards: debate settled

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Williams is obviously the best guy for the #2 WR job the rest of the year.

But I would still like to see Williams as our slot guy with someone bigger and stronger as the #2 in the future. You know, someone like Blackmon...

Agree. We will need Braylon to make some plays for us, but Kyle Williams should start opposite Crabtree the rest of the season!
Williams is gonna overtake Crabs by next year.

He has better quickness and speed and his hands are equal to Crabs.

He runs good routes and demands more respect from the db's.

Another year with Alex and he will be our #1 wr unless we draft a true #1 or pick one up in FA.

In my perfect world, we draft a #1 or pick one up in FA, have Williams in the slot and also have Crabs. That would be a killer top 3 wr set with Morgan and Ginn off the bench!
Love me some kyle Williams.
  • dj43
There may be something with Edwards we do not know about. It should not take this long to come back from his knee problem. The result is that he has not been able to practice enough to be effective. Until he can do that, and convince the coaches that he can, I don't expect to see much of him the rest of the way.

Williams, OTOH, has proven why he was a legit pick. He is sort of the ideal slot receiver - quick, excellent though not great speed, and good hands. He could be the Wes Welker of the 49ers, although I never see the Harbaugh offense as focused on a single guy as NE uses WW.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rk1642:

Another year with Alex and he will be our #1 wr unless we draft a true #1 or pick one up in FA.

In my perfect world, we draft a #1 or pick one up in FA, have Williams in the slot and also have Crabs. That would be a killer top 3 wr set with Morgan and Ginn off the bench!

You shot yourself in the foot with that statement. Plus Crab's is definitely a #1 in this offense, KW is becoming Alex's new safety valve and his effectiveness is allowing VD to take advantage of single coverage against LBs or safeties.

Our lineup should be

WR1: Crabtree, Rookie(hopefully Fuller), Ginn

WR2: Morgan, KW(also used in the slot on 3 wide sets)
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
Is there any possible argument for Braylon to see the field again? I don't see it.

Williams looked damn good. Little miscommunication there in the red zone. But overall, he was consistently beating his man. Something that Braylon had done precisely never this year. Pitt's CBs were playing 10-12 yards off KW towards the end of the game. Again, that's a cushion Braylon could only dream of getting.

And it's not a coincidence that all of a sudden we're seeing Vernon singled up when we don't have a liability gimping through routes at wideout.

I think we saw our playoff starting lineup on O out there tonight

he is hurt !

Interesting thought. Dont agree, but there you are. I think Crabtree is coming along just fine, but I do want that No 1, and Williams is too short for what I want. Either Braylon pulls it together and breaks through or we (hopefully) draft one. Entirely agree though that Williams has a great future.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
Is there any possible argument for Braylon to see the field again? I don't see it.

Williams looked damn good. Little miscommunication there in the red zone. But overall, he was consistently beating his man. Something that Braylon had done precisely never this year. Pitt's CBs were playing 10-12 yards off KW towards the end of the game. Again, that's a cushion Braylon could only dream of getting.

And it's not a coincidence that all of a sudden we're seeing Vernon singled up when we don't have a liability gimping through routes at wideout.

I think we saw our playoff starting lineup on O out there tonight

he is hurt !

he was a healthy scratch
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:

Interesting thought. Dont agree, but there you are. I think Crabtree is coming along just fine, but I do want that No 1, and Williams is too short for what I want. Either Braylon pulls it together and breaks through or we (hopefully) draft one. Entirely agree though that Williams has a great future.

A big receiver is a MUST for next season. Edwards being gone next year is almost a foregone conclusion in my mind. The only thing that would change that is if he has some big games in the remainder of the season and the playoffs...but I'm not holding my breath.

I expect the 49ers to use one of their first two picks on a WR next spring depending on value. I don't expect them to reach for one but would not put it beyond them to trade up in the first round to grab one of the top guys.

This season has clearly shown how limited the passing offense will be without a healthy WR corp. The fact we were forced to use a Green Bay castoff last night shows how far behind we are compared to the top passing teams. I don't expect Baalke to miss that fact.
Edwards was a healthy scratch, to me that says a lot.

• dj43
Originally posted by valrod33:

It does but it may have been that he was healthy but had still not had enough reps to convince JH that he was on the same page with Alex.

Just saying...
It's not a zero sum situation where it has to be Williams at the expense of Edwards. Ginn will probably miss some time. We need Edwards healthy with his head in the game and contributing. Come the playoffs, I think we need the whole stable of options. Crabtree is having a solid year. Williams' emergence is an excellent and timely surprise. Ginn has found his niche and contributes as a receiver and as a returner. Now, if Edwards could start clicking here at the end of the year -- only if he's playing to save his career -- that would be a great added dimension that opponents won't see on tape. He could be the regular season disappointment that turns into the post season "surprise". Our offense could use a shot in the arm.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by valrod33:

It does but it may have been that he was healthy but had still not had enough reps to convince JH that he was on the same page with Alex.

Just saying...
then why did he play last time?
Williams gets better with every passing week, Edwards is accumulating a lot of miles on him, no chance they bring him back next year. Sopoaga takes his spot on the depth chart.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The thing is SingleBrainCell would still be playing Edwards and pounding his head against a wall wondering why it's not working. All the while leaving more productive players on the bench in favor of worse ones on the field. He did it with Chilo and Snyder for years.... It's nice to have a REAL HC.

Stop it dude i am having a panic attack just thinking about that guy.
Share 49ersWebzone