There are 150 users in the forums

Williams vs. Edwards: debate settled

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is there any possible argument for Braylon to see the field again? I don't see it.

Williams looked damn good. Little miscommunication there in the red zone. But overall, he was consistently beating his man. Something that Braylon had done precisely never this year. Pitt's CBs were playing 10-12 yards off KW towards the end of the game. Again, that's a cushion Braylon could only dream of getting.

And it's not a coincidence that all of a sudden we're seeing Vernon singled up when we don't have a liability gimping through routes at wideout.

I think we saw our playoff starting lineup on O out there tonight
Kyle is a long term answer that got a shot and made the best of it.

Edwards can ride Chilo out of town
Williams has a future with this team, as does Josh Morgan. As much as the coaches like Braylon, I don't see how we bring him back next year.
Edwards is better because he has a higher rating in Madden.

We should give him a 7 year extension
We should have kept Zeigler!
[ Edited by Squidp on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:37 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
If Ginn is out for a while like I suspect. Braylon will see the field again. Williams will still get plenty of PT.
Williams is obviously the best guy for the #2 WR job the rest of the year.

But I would still like to see Williams as our slot guy with someone bigger and stronger as the #2 in the future. You know, someone like Blackmon...
With Edwards its something else that bothering him. What ever it is, Im thinking something off field, needs to be sorted out because we all know what the dude can do. Did someone on the team or staff talk to him wrong? I dont know what it is but the dudes too good to be in this slump this long.
this s**t was settled weeks ago. kyle williams should be our #2. he is a perfect compliment to crabcakes:

1. he's extremely fast
2. he has the best hands on the team
3. he gets open
4. he does stuff with the ball after he makes the catch

i hope ginn is ok because we should be working KW into the offense more and he shouldn't be worrying about KR/PR
Edwards is just useless. And his hands are bad too. Williams catches everything you throw in his area. And he's quick and fast too.

Williams is a very solid player with great hands. Above all he is dependable, something Edwards has never been here--or elsewhere.

I have a feeling that the part of why the O was smoother this week than in the past few games was due to his absence. Everything just seemed to go better, and there were less miscommunications between WR and QB. Lending credence to this theory is the fact that Edwards return to the lineup coincided with our downturn on O the past few weeks, and his play/Smiths bad throws/whatever you call it has cost us numerous scoring opportunities, and, at times, even turnovers (think the backbreaking pick vs. BAL).

Crabtree is turning in to the player we all thought he would; Williams is a very pleasant surprise; Morgan, who really impressed me earlier this year, sounds like he wants to be back next year. That's 3 solid, young WRs each with a different skill set and strength. A far cry from the days of starting Curtis Conway, Johnnie Morton, Cedrick Wilson, and Darnell Jackson huh?
Originally posted by merm49:
Williams is a very solid player with great hands. Above all he is dependable, something Edwards has never been here--or elsewhere.

I have a feeling that the part of why the O was smoother this week than in the past few games was due to his absence. Everything just seemed to go better, and there were less miscommunications between WR and QB. Lending credence to this theory is the fact that Edwards return to the lineup coincided with our downturn on O the past few weeks, and his play/Smiths bad throws/whatever you call it has cost us numerous scoring opportunities, and, at times, even turnovers (think the backbreaking pick vs. BAL).

Crabtree is turning in to the player we all thought he would; Williams is a very pleasant surprise; Morgan, who really impressed me earlier this year, sounds like he wants to be back next year. That's 3 solid, young WRs each with a different skill set and strength. A far cry from the days of starting Curtis Conway, Johnnie Morton, Cedrick Wilson, and Darnell Jackson huh?

Darrell Jackson?
SAN FRANCISCO -- Coach Jim Harbaugh said he wanted the four receivers active who gave the 49ers their best chance to win Monday night.And Braylon Edwards was not one of those receivers.

Edwards, who saw limited practice time last week with knee and shoulder ailments, was inactive for the 49ers' 20-3 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. But he might soon be needed again.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Ginn-sustains-ankle-injury-Edwards-sits-?blockID=615628&feedID=5936

For those who said Jim didn't trust Alex, this is what not trusting a player actually looks like.
Whatever we throught Braylon coulda shoulda been at the beginning of the season, I think between Williams and Ginn they are picking up the slack and might even be better for the team.
The thing is SingleBrainCell would still be playing Edwards and pounding his head against a wall wondering why it's not working. All the while leaving more productive players on the bench in favor of worse ones on the field. He did it with Chilo and Snyder for years.... It's nice to have a REAL HC.
Share 49ersWebzone