There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OFFICIAL "GOTTA WATCH THE TAPE" thread: coaches film on 49ers sacks (RAVENS GAME

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
On saw two sacks on Smith above. Harbaugh I think noted there were 3 he would've put on Smith. So of the other three, one more. The 2nd sack I believe, I don't know what Alex is looking at. It seems inexplicable that he wouldn't throw it to the receiver in the middle unless he just never saw him. He could've dropped it over the two linebackers, he's good at making those throws. He just has to throw it.

I love Alex as a QB, but if that's his first read (in the middle) he has to make that throw on sack two. Granted, unless he saw him within 1.5 seconds (ball snapped at 11.5, Smith sacked at 13.5), he wouldn't be able to make the throw on time, but this is frustrating.

I do think we all need to consider that just because a WR is open, it does not mean he is the first read. I got really upset at this sack at first and then I considered this and calmed down a little. Maybe we need to change the route progression order or Alex needs to be told to pay better attention to the holes exposed by the blitz, because in these plays it looks like he is only running the play as designed. Though I suppose, considering this was only the second sack, that would make sense because we wouldn't have been making major adjustments yet.

HE makes the throw if we are down by a lot and we need points.

His extra caution play has led to less interceptions, but also less big plays.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Rogers was sacked 50 times in 2009 and put up 30 TDs and 7 ints with a 103.2 rating and 4400 yards. That is what happens when you are getting pressure, but you are still able to make plays regardless of that. That year his O-line was injured and depleted but he was still able to have success. Smith is approaching 50 this year with 39 sacks, which is a career high but not even close to the stats Rogers put up in 2009...

Of course not all instant pressure is the same. But many of us have seen Smith fold under the pressure and bail out too soon. A clear example was that last Offensive play in the cards game. He inexplicably left the pocket and made a foolish play thereafter. Smith does this more often then not which explains why his numbers are so low.

Again, Rogers, in 2009 getting sacked 50 times with a crap Oline had success because of his pocket awareness and thereafter playmaking ability. And his ultra-accurate rocket arm doesn't hurt either.

When Smith is pressured, things go horribly wrong. This year he has cut the mistakes while under pressure, but still is unable to make plays under pressure.

The KC Chiefs figured out a way to beat Rogers.

1) Create an electric, super loud, road atmosphere.
2) Get his O-line injured, give him zero time to throw.
3) Cross your fingers that his WR's will drop a bunch of perfect throws.

Then maybe, just maybe, you have a chance to eke out a victory. That's it. That's the "strategy".
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
49ERS at RAVENS:

Sack 1:

My take: this one is on the protection. The routes were not yet developed when Alex got hit. Staley gave up the first pressure, which Alex evaded by stepping up. But A. Snyder also got beat in the middle, so Alex had no chance.

SACK 2:

This one seemed to be all scheme. The Ravens overloaded the 49ers left side only to to send pressure through the opposite one. You can see that immediately after the ball is snapped Rachal looks for someone to be coming from his left and never sees the rusher running by him on the right side. Interesting playcalling though, sending all receivers on streak routes.

SACK 3:

This one is on Alex. He had enough time to let the ball go. He was looking at Delanie, but a Raven sit underneath his route, and Alex missed Davis running open down the seam. That ball has to come out.

SACK 4:

I'll put the blame here on both Alex and the O-line. Alex seems to have made a bad pre-snap read wanting to go to VD, but there was a LB underneath with help over the top. He should have went to Ginn on the right side. However, because the protection was very poor, he didn't have a chance to move to his second read.

SACK 5

This one is on the playcalling. Two WRs running streak routes and NO OUTLET????? Gimme a break!

SACK 6:

Anthony Davis gets manhandled. Pure and simple.

lmao
Some of these sacks are just embarrassing.
NFL Gamepass email me and other Gamepass subscribers a survey and they are thinking about addind Coaches Film app next season

A subscription product dedicated to allowing users to view an entire game through "coaches cameras." So, you can view each play from a high-endzone angle along with a full field view via the all-22 camera angle. In addition, use a telestrator to draw your own X's and O's like the coaches, and share specific plays w/ friends.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
NFL Gamepass email me and other Gamepass subscribers a survey and they are thinking about addind Coaches Film app next season

A subscription product dedicated to allowing users to view an entire game through "coaches cameras." So, you can view each play from a high-endzone angle along with a full field view via the all-22 camera angle. In addition, use a telestrator to draw your own X's and O's like the coaches, and share specific plays w/ friends.

Would be great if they added it but I dont think they would, theres reasons why they havent made the 'all 22' available to the public.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I got the questionnaire.

Next year, game pass will most likely offer a special coach's film package.

With the coach's film you see all twenty-two players on the field on every play.

Not sure what it will cost, but I intend to buy it.

Just think, I will be able to say after watching the film.....
[ Edited by buck on Jan 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
HE makes the throw if we are down by a lot and we need points.

His extra caution play has led to less interceptions, but also less big plays.

Agree with this as many of the sacks blamed on Smith are options where he would need to trust his receivers to make the correct cuts...I don't think that level of trust has developed except sporadically. Really don't want to use film to judge regarding sacks. Even when timed you can't know what play was called...unless the team is as predictable as Raye's.

VD is the only receiver (active) who has really good chemistry with Smith. Crabtree and Williams have been improving rapport, and Ginn to a certain extent, but it has been growing slowly each game. Hope it peaks during the playoffs. Will the injuries to Ginn and Williams have an impact?

Is it Smith's fault that he doesn't develop chemistry quickly? I would say it is partly his issue but is mostly due to injuries, different receivers each game. It is not a coincidence that VD and Crabtree are his most consistent targets and they have played the most with him over the past three years.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:

Would be great if they added it but I dont think they would, theres reasons why they havent made the 'all 22' available to the public.

The email I got from game pass sure makes me think that they are going to make all 22 available. But, if you live in the US, and some other areas, game pass is not available