There are 302 users in the forums

OFFICIAL "GOTTA WATCH THE TAPE" thread: coaches film on 49ers sacks (RAVENS GAME

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is GOOD stuff!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
The Ravens were bringing a lot of pressure up the middle on Thanksgiving too. That's not good because Alex seems to have a lot of trouble when there's pressure up the middle and that's something I bet the Steelers have noticed.

This is the goal of every great 3-4 defense; to have a big boy like a Jamal Williams or Vince Wilfork or a Ngata and a host of others who can two-gap and STILL get pressure up the gut so the QB can't step up (esp. with outside pressure). We can bring pressure off the edges all day but if the QB still has a clean pocket to step up into (meaning, Sopoaga doesn't get a push and we don't bring any pressure with Willis/Bowman or on an inside stunt) ANY QB will kill your secondary (see Skelton).

Exactly, and the Packers run a 3-4 with a big man in the middle and pressure from the outside. If we want to get to the Super Bowl this year we've got to find a way to sure up the middle or move the pocket so that Alex can step up. The play-action hasn't been getting it done anymore so we need to figure something out. On that last sack I think we were blocking with 6-7 against a 4-man rush, if there's a DT consistently getting through there's not a whole lot Gore or Hunter are going to be able to do about it. I wouldn't mind seeing Rachal/Kilgore/Peele/(even Sopoaga) in the backfield with Alex on third and longs just to have a big-man back there in good position to block anybody who gets through.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Let me show you what i mean. I think after that initial read when he sees the pressure, he takes a step left for no reason directly into the rusher in what i belive is an attempt at a juke move, then breaks right to a pocket but can't make it. His help was there could of had a better shot. The slot was wide open over the middle if he makes it there.

Great job. Smith did this 3 times in the game -- he stabbed one way in the pocket and then went another. I think he also did it on the final play of the game. It was almost like this was something they had coached or he worked on during the week to improve his "escapability." Hmm...didn't work so much. :)
By the way, I've been e-mailing everybody I can find to get the coaches film available also. The only downside would be that I would become obsessed with breaking down the film all week and never work or sleep. :)

Even Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio has commented several times that the NFL should make it available. Some teams used to give it to reporters that covered them, but that stopped a few years ago too.

Hopefully, this limited availability is a test that encourages them to make it available for every play.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Guys, I was just checking and it seems like the NFL did not put up the footage of the other sacks. However I have film on several sacks of both the Ravens and the Rams game. I'll try to post those later. Maybe in a separate thread so it won't be confusing.

Nah, just post them all here and change the title to "Gotta watch the tape!" Also, for other sacks, you can pull from the pinned videos created by our own, whomeam! All the games are posted there for all to review...

Ok, I'll post them all here. As for the other sacks I have them too, just not coaches tape of them.
Smith getting blame for ineffective double teamed blocking, with beyond a reasonable expectation of pocket movements while looking down field. Holy sh*t, the Zone!

I love it!
Ok, I'll post them all here. As for the other sacks I have them too, just not coaches tape of them.

Awesome work! This is the kind of analysis I was hoping to see more of once whomeam started posting all the offense/defense snaps of every game. It improves the NT IQ twofold!

Awesome work! This is the kind of analysis I was hoping to see more of once whomeam started posting all the offense/defense snaps of every game. It improves the NT IQ twofold!

No it won't. It's not about IQ. It's about posting. Post often, post with vigor. No matter how outlandish, it will become true in the Zone.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Sack 2, the WR on the far side was as open as he'll ever be.

Foreal though.. QB's are supposed to be looking Up, down down.. Not Down and work your way up.. go for most yards.. hes automatically checking out VD and when thats covered its already a F'ed play because they blitzed.. Even then with VD.. he should know the route and be throwing that right before VD turns, why do we need to see a Blatant wide open Receiver.. thats not football and alex should know this coming from Utah and being a #1 pick

Honestly IMO ive always cheered out for alex but this does not make me happy with these films.. but im only a fan what can i do lol.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

No it won't. It's not about IQ. It's about posting. Post often, post with vigor. No matter how outlandish, it will become true in the Zone.

So true...! Haha

It seems to me that based on the pressure we should employ 2 back, split sets and 3 wr sets. it would force the other team to bring in another corner, eliminate a LB and we would have 2 backs to pick up blitzers. If no blitzer we have a RB to dump off to.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
It seems to me that based on the pressure we should employ 2 back, split sets and 3 wr sets. it would force the other team to bring in another corner, eliminate a LB and we would have 2 backs to pick up blitzers. If no blitzer we have a RB to dump off to.

Smart!

Smart!

So you dont want Vernon Davis on the field then??
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Smith getting blame for ineffective double teamed blocking, with beyond a reasonable expectation of pocket movements while looking down field. Holy sh*t, the Zone!

I love it!

Is there any other QB held to these standards or scrutinized THIS closely by their own fans?

At least, despite Tebow's "faults," his fans get behind him.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:

Smart!

So you dont want Vernon Davis on the field then??

Well, he could line up as one of the WRs
Share 49ersWebzone