There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OFFICIAL "GOTTA WATCH THE TAPE" thread: coaches film on 49ers sacks (RAVENS GAME

Oh, I was really thinking WR as the #1 priority in the next draft. Now I am thinking bottom of round 1 might be a Center as priority! Unless it gets solved in FA somehow. Anyone know who might be a FA center available -- besides Goodwin!!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Sack 2, the WR on the far side was as open as he'll ever be.

Smith looked like he was trying to go to him (receiver at the top right side). He had to wait for the receiver to make the cut (15 yards down field) . By the time he made the cut and got his head around, the rusher was already on top of Smith. Smith had time to throw it just before the receiver made the cut. I think had he trusted his receiver to make the cut at exactly 15 yards, which the receiver did, it would have been a completion just before the rush got on him.

This was a delay safety blitz. Smith should have recognized it. Throw the ball to the blitzing side (left). The left inside receiver did a stutter step, put his hand up. He was open. Smith could have beaten that blitz by throwing it just a tad early because there's no cut to be made by the receiver. Throw to him. Touchdown!

It looks like the left inside receiver had the blitz read but Smith didn't.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sacks 1, 2 and 4 were not Smith's fault. Three he held it too long, did not see Crabtree and should've checked it down as soon as he felt the pressure and moved right.

Sack 1: He was hit instantaneously, even before the receiver was beginning to get open. Not hit WHEN the receiver was open. BEFORE he was even STARTING to get open.

Sack 2: The folks saying the receiver was wide open clearly do not understand the speed of the NFL game and the fact that Alex does not have the monster arm QB's like Newton, Stafford, or Cutler. Think about it. When Alex looks at Crabtree, the safety reads his eyes -- if Alex sets his feet an throws it, it's an easy interception because the safety has an easy peasy straight ahead FREEWAY to the ball. Crabtree needed to get maybe a couple yards further into the deep in so Alex can throw it and lead him to where he can either jump and shield the defender or catch it on the run. Protection didn't hold long enough. On a deep in, you need the line to protect longer obviously than a slant or other short route.

Sack 4: As already mentioned, this was a slant and go. Crabtree was not supposed to get the ball short, he was supposed to get it long. Wasn't enough time for the deep route again.

This is exactly what I saw after rewarding and doing a lot of skipping back. Even without coaches film, you can tell where the safeties drop and where the receivers are headed enough to predict if there is any type of throw possible. Alex did a good job in the first half. I think watching it live, I got more pissed in the second half.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Sacks 1, 2 and 4 were not Smith's fault. Three he held it too long, did not see Crabtree and should've checked it down as soon as he felt the pressure and moved right.

Sack 1: He was hit instantaneously, even before the receiver was beginning to get open. Not hit WHEN the receiver was open. BEFORE he was even STARTING to get open.

Sack 2: The folks saying the receiver was wide open clearly do not understand the speed of the NFL game and the fact that Alex does not have the monster arm QB's like Newton, Stafford, or Cutler. Think about it. When Alex looks at Crabtree, the safety reads his eyes -- if Alex sets his feet an throws it, it's an easy interception because the safety has an easy peasy straight ahead FREEWAY to the ball. Crabtree needed to get maybe a couple yards further into the deep in so Alex can throw it and lead him to where he can either jump and shield the defender or catch it on the run. Protection didn't hold long enough. On a deep in, you need the line to protect longer obviously than a slant or other short route.

Sack 4: As already mentioned, this was a slant and go. Crabtree was not supposed to get the ball short, he was supposed to get it long. Wasn't enough time for the deep route again.

This is exactly what I saw after rewarding and doing a lot of skipping back. Even without coaches film, you can tell where the safeties drop and where the receivers are headed enough to predict if there is any type of throw possible. Alex did a good job in the first half. I think watching it live, I got more pissed in the second half.

Joe, you're the resident John Kerry....
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Sack 2, the WR on the far side was as open as he'll ever be.

Smith looked like he was trying to go to him (receiver at the top right side). He had to wait for the receiver to make the cut (15 yards down field) . By the time he made the cut and got his head around, the rusher was already on top of Smith. Smith had time to throw it just before the receiver made the cut. I think had he trusted his receiver to make the cut at exactly 15 yards, which the receiver did, it would have been a completion just before the rush got on him.

This was a delay safety blitz. Smith should have recognized it. Throw the ball to the blitzing side (left). The left inside receiver did a stutter step, put his hand up. He was open. Smith could have beaten that blitz by throwing it just a tad early because there's no cut to be made by the receiver. Throw to him. Touchdown!

It looks like the left inside receiver had the blitz read but Smith didn't.

This is a main issue with Smith. You don't wait till WR makes the cut and gets the head around. You throw it anticipating the cut will be made.

EDIT: To the OP -
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
The second quarter sack:

This one was hard to understand. For one moment it seems like Crabtree is wide open to the left running an out route, but then he takes off another 15 yards only to break out again. I don't know when Alex was supposed to get the ball to him. If it was on the first break, then it's on Alex. If it was on the seond, it's on the protection.

He tried to juke the DT left and then breaks right but is grabbed. If he slides to the right off the bat he could deliver a stroke tto Ginn for a big gain as the slot and was wide open. Smith jumped right into the DT's line and away from his Centers blocking angle. Its clear on the replay of this highlight. He hops left for some reason (probably because he is thinking left he whole time) then tried to bail right and is caught.

This is not good QB play. You have to see that fat MFer coming in your face and get clear and fire the ball. He got grabbe by the arm after aht hop. If he hoped right he could have cleared. This is what the great ones excel at.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM ]
With more practice, I have no doubt Smith and his receivers will make defense pay for blitzing. Screw the play that 's called. Shouldn't be afraid of the blitz. Look for it next time. If there's a hint of it as he drops back, throw it to the blitzing side.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:44 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by susweel:
For being such a smart QB it sure does Alex a long to decide to throw the football.

Yeah and he's supposed to be really good vs the blitz. Idk what's happening

Dude panics when guys get free. This is the NFL, move around in the pocket. Some of those sacks could be avoided by stepping up into the pocket. This post is great. Compare this to the better QBs in the league and its a stark contrast.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
For being such a smart QB it sure does Alex a long to decide to throw the football.

Dude panics when guys get free. This is the NFL, move around in the pocket. Some of those sacks could be avoided by stepping up into the pocket. This post is great. Compare this to the better QBs in the league and its a stark contrast.

To be fair Smith did tried to side step and stepped up in the pocket but he underestimated the guy's reach.

To be fair Smith did tried to side step and stepped up in the pocket but he underestimated the guy's reach.

Yeah he did. But what i'm trying to say is his initial reaction into defenders face seals his fate.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:55 PM ]
on the first video--VD and walker ran to the same spot coming from the left and the right.
on the 2nd video--too many people going deep--needed a couple in the intermediate middle of the field--the OL wasn't allow the time for that play to be any good.
on the 3rd video---alex had the rb wide open as he rolled right--should have tossed it to him instead of taking the sack--alex tried but his release was too slow.

Yeah he did. But what i'm trying to say is his initial reaction into defenders face seals his fate.

i saw it differently. what i saw was AS drop back and try to set his feet for the throw that was clearly intended for MC from the get-go. when he saw he couldn't do that, due to the immediate pressure up the middle, he planted his left leg in order to push himself to the right and then try to step up in the pocket. i think we just disagree on what his intentions were. u see someone who panicked,i see someone who made the right instinctive reaction, but wasn't quick enough.
So this is what Singletary meant by film..........
Originally posted by fearthe9ers:

i saw it differently. what i saw was AS drop back and try to set his feet for the throw that was clearly intended for MC from the get-go. when he saw he couldn't do that, due to the immediate pressure up the middle, he planted his left leg in order to push himself to the right and then try to step up in the pocket. i think we just disagree on what his intentions were. u see someone who panicked,i see someone who made the right instinctive reaction, but wasn't quick enough.

I gotta agree here, and Y2R, I think you're in the minority on this one. Even Joecool is on board. Smith was keeping his eyes downfield like you're supposed to, but I mean frick man, free rushers are not supposed to happen, especially when the OL KNOWS it's a deep route that more protection time is necessary for.

We had plays called, but the protection almost always just wasn't there. Being as fair as possible, there was only one sack really on Smith. Anything else is either extreme nitpicking or a misconception. The guy can escape pressure generally, but he's not Mike Vick. Consistently having free rushers in your face is inexcusable.
Originally posted by fearthe9ers:

I gotta agree here, and Y2R, I think you're in the minority on this one. Even Joecool is on board. Smith was keeping his eyes downfield like you're supposed to, but I mean frick man, free rushers are not supposed to happen, especially when the OL KNOWS it's a deep route that more protection time is necessary for.

We had plays called, but the protection almost always just wasn't there. Being as fair as possible, there was only one sack really on Smith. Anything else is either extreme nitpicking or a misconception. The guy can escape pressure generally, but he's not Mike Vick. Consistently having free rushers in your face is inexcusable.

It's Alex Smith, he's supposed to block for himself, throw to himself and catch his own passes.