LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 182 users in the forums

OFFICIAL "GOTTA WATCH THE TAPE" thread: coaches film on 49ers sacks (RAVENS GAME

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
The second quarter sack:

This one was hard to understand. For one moment it seems like Crabtree is wide open to the left running an out route, but then he takes off another 15 yards only to break out again. I don't know when Alex was supposed to get the ball to him. If it was on the first break, then it's on Alex. If it was on the seond, it's on the protection.

It was a poor job of sliding in the pocket. Alex has very poor pocket awareness, its improved a little bit but at times he does revert back. I thought the other QB Skelton did a great job of creating more time by sliding the pocket.
Originally posted by verb1der:
The second quarter sack:

This one was hard to understand. For one moment it seems like Crabtree is wide open to the left running an out route, but then he takes off another 15 yards only to break out again. I don't know when Alex was supposed to get the ball to him. If it was on the first break, then it's on Alex. If it was on the seond, it's on the protection.

This one was on Goodwin, he was too late on his man.

Yeah, I think you're right. The scrimmage angle makes that clear. It was on goodwin.

I think this is what Jaworski means when it comes to Alex's mechanics, he seems like he stutters his drop at the very end, he's supposed to take long strides to give him more depth once he sets his feet.

Joe Montana had the most beautiful seven step drops!
Good work: Only analysis you need though...

1st sack...two guys sacking him in under 3 seconds
2nd sack...(shotgun) two guys sacking him @ 3 seconds
3rd sack...(shotgun) scrambling @ 3, sacked at 4 seconds
4th sack...one guy sacks him @ 3 seconds

6 sacks, 10 hits and numerous other hurries = a loss every time.

"Luck has something to do with every successful season, and one reason the 49ers stand at a remarkable 10-3 is due to the health of starting quarterback Alex Smith. However, the fact Smith is still standing and walking with all his appendages unbroken could boil down to luck.

No quarterback has been sacked more than Smith and lately Smith has been under immense pressure. In the last three games, Smith has been sacked 18 times, including nine times against the Ravens on Thanksgiving night. In their last game in Arizona, Smith was sacked five times and hit on 10 other occasions."
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:13 AM ]
The second quarter sack:

This is a slant and go. Crabtree is supposed to get the ball deep, not at his first cut. Alex never had time to complete the throw, just as he did in sack #1 where he was sacked in exactly 1.8 seconds by my stopwatch. On sack one, he was hit before Crabtree was even beginning to become open.
Nice post bro!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Two things are clear on most of these. The line needs to hold a bit longer, and A.Smith needs to take more chances and throw to a spot. I see receivers open or coming open. It isnt a lost cause.
Originally posted by MarkD:
Two things are clear on most of these. The line needs to hold a bit longer, and A.Smith needs to take more chances and throw to a spot. I see receivers open or coming open. It isnt a lost cause.

Yep. It's a combination of both. I think the blame shouldn't be entirely put on either... I'd like to see this same view in the red zone, to see if any receivers are getting open.

I agree, 1 more second and a clean pocket to step up into (nothing coming up the gut or not having to side-step), we're golden...timing is everything in a WCO!
Originally posted by NCommand:

I agree, 1 more second and a clean pocket to step up into (nothing coming up the gut or not having to side-step), we're golden...timing is everything in a WCO!
If the pressure was given up on the sides from the tackles, it'd be a lot easier for Alex to step into the pocket. It looks like all this pressure has been entirely from the middle of the line, and that's a huge issue.
Sacks 1, 2 and 4 were not Smith's fault. Three he held it too long, did not see Crabtree and should've checked it down as soon as he felt the pressure and moved right.

Sack 1: He was hit instantaneously, even before the receiver was beginning to get open. Not hit WHEN the receiver was open. BEFORE he was even STARTING to get open.

Sack 2: The folks saying the receiver was wide open clearly do not understand the speed of the NFL game and the fact that Alex does not have the monster arm QB's like Newton, Stafford, or Cutler. Think about it. When Alex looks at Crabtree, the safety reads his eyes -- if Alex sets his feet an throws it, it's an easy interception because the safety has an easy peasy straight ahead FREEWAY to the ball. Crabtree needed to get maybe a couple yards further into the deep in so Alex can throw it and lead him to where he can either jump and shield the defender or catch it on the run. Protection didn't hold long enough. On a deep in, you need the line to protect longer obviously than a slant or other short route.

Sack 4: As already mentioned, this was a slant and go. Crabtree was not supposed to get the ball short, he was supposed to get it long. Wasn't enough time for the deep route again.

This is a great post. The main reason why I love the webzone forums. Kudoes Brazilian and thanks for sharing
  • mod
  • Veteran
Goodwin and Iupati got schooled on that sack
Great stuff. I watched the Rewind before the coaches film was posted -- should have checked back -- this is awesome.

Sack 1 - 5 rushers, 6 blockers (5OL and 1RB)
RT - held his block
RG - blocked nobody
C - blocked the blitzing LB to his right - and let the left blitzing LB go.
LG - blocked DT with LT
LT blocked DT with LG
RB picked up DE
(LB sack up middle)

This blocking scheme has 2 mistakes in it.
#1 - the Center, seeing the RG free, should have blocked the left LB blitz and let RG pick up the right LB blitz.
#2 - Why the LG and LT double team on one DT, while the RB is left to take on the tall DE?? That DE appears to have blocked the throwing lane. If the LG took the DT and LT took the DE, the RB would have been free to take on the blitz up the middle.
The mistake is mainly on the CENTER in my opinion.

Sack #2 - 4 rushers, 6 blockers (5 OL and 1 RB)
RT, RG and C all block 1 DT on the right side!!!
LG, LT, RB left to handle 4 rushers -- LB, DT, S, and CB.
(CB sack off left side)

This is tough to block, but the Center should be aware of the overload and slide to the left, either picking up the DT and letting the LG pick up a blitzer, OR the Center can slide behind the LG to help fill the blitz lane on the left side with the RB.
The mistake is again on the CENTER in my opinion, although this was an exotic blitz, a good OL and RB should beat this.

Sack #3 5 rushers, 6 blockers (5 OL and 1 RB)
RT holds block
RG and Center frozen by LB threat of rush
LG blocks DT
LT blocks S to inside
RB starts left, but then releases out to right side
(CB sack off left side)

It looks like ASmith should have thrown to RB in front of him. You could also argue that the RB should have picked up the CB blitz but he never looks that direction, even though the CB had blitzed from there just before! You could also argue that when the LB in front of the RG and Center didn't rush, the Center should have had his head on a swivel to see the CB coming. But that is probably asking too much for the Center to get back to pick that guy up.
Mistake is on RB and QB on this one.

So it seems our protection scheme is pretty easy to confuse them, leaving OL with nobody to block and overloading the LEFT side.
[ Edited by HearstFan on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:05 PM ]
We struggled almost the entire game to get a snap off before wasting 3-4 time-outs to avoid 'delay of game' penalties. -It was something I hadn't seen in full capacity since Jimmy Raye was in the booth. -We even got a delay of game after burning a f**king TO!!! -That's just ridiculous, and when this s**t happens, the entire o-line is almost clue-less, nobody can hear any of their f**king assignments in the huddle.

-We were definitely struggling under the domed crowd noise, and from what Bee-rows said previously that week, the team didn't even practice with any crowd noise on the speakers, but that f**king 49ers rap that's been going around!
Sack #4 (second quarter sack) - 4 rushers, 6 blockers (5 OL, RB, TE)

This was excellent Play Action motion, the RT pulls and flows right, TE and FB block to cover backside, RB flows right and then stays behind line to block.
Everybody executes EXCEPT the left DT crosses the CENTER's face and comes free right up the middle, nearly going untouched by the Center or LG. This is HORRIBLE BLOCKING.

I agree with other posters, it looks like the play was designed as a PA pass with a deep drop to target Crabtree's double move. For god's sake, how much more could the offense scheme. play design have done to get this pass time to throw! and yet the sack occurs within a split second of the QB hitting his back foot. You can't blame him for not throwing, the receiver hadn't even turned up his route yet.

This mistake is on the CENTER in my opinion. It could have been a blocking scheme that called for the LG to pick this middle pressure up, but the Center's reaction chasing the block tells me he missed his assignment.

I don't know if i can watch Sack #5 - LOL - this is depressing. I hope they can pull off a miracle and get this solved. I trust if anyone can it will be JH and staff.
Share 49ersWebzone