There are 289 users in the forums

Calling Out Players That Need to be Called Out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He's played awesome this year. He's one of our best players. In fact he is going to be damn expensive in FA.

Sure, he's the best safety we've had in years, but that doesn't mean he's a smart player. Wipe out his penchant for really stupid mistakes and you have yourself an elite, rather than very good, player.

Agree with both of you! Has been playing well but his mental lapses are hard to swallow, especially when you go for a pick against a guy who is known to be one of the strongest receivers in the NFL. When you do something like that you either succeed or are a dunce. His tendency to make errors at key moments will reduce his FA contract.

Goldson is limited, he can make play and hits when the action is infront of him. But he lacks the speed and recognition to cover the back end when the field gets stretched. He cant get to the sidelines in time on long streaks and always too eager to attack the play in front of him leaving him susceptible to getting beat on the back end. Now he is starting to go for the big play over the sure tackle... great when it works or when there is a substantial lead, but otherwise you get what we had in AZ. If this team is gonna spend big money on a safety I would prefer breaking the bank for one with range over a safety who can only make plays infront of him. Better suited to play strong safety.
Originally posted by Engleburger:
I heard some stat a couple weeks ago that said Vernon had the highest percentage of caught balls thrown to him for all TE's. I couldn't believe it. I miss Alex to Vernon in the redzone. It was all we had and it worked. I think his drops are magnified now because he doesn't get as many targets. Vernons looked pretty mad lately and I think it's about time he sits down Harbaugh and gives him "the business".

I saw this also!

It's kinda killin' me how everyone thinks Vernon sucks after his one drop versus the Rams.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
I saw this also!

It's kinda killin' me how everyone thinks Vernon sucks after his one drop versus the Rams.

A lot of prior success was when they made use of Vernon's speed size down field. Slants and crosses are not his bread and butter. If teams want to show blitz just send him down field and throw it up there to let him run under it if there is no safety over the top. also have crab or Williams cross underneath in the vacated area.
Vernon Davis is really being misused in this offense. His crossing routes are fine because they've led to long gains, but he never runs seams anymore.

As to his drops, it's always been a problem with him. He led the league in drops in his record setting year I believe. I don't think he sucks, but he needs to be able to catch with his arms.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Vernon Davis is really being misused in this offense. His crossing routes are fine because they've led to long gains, but he never runs seams anymore.

As to his drops, it's always been a problem with him. He led the league in drops in his record setting year I believe. I don't think he sucks, but he needs to be able to catch with his arms.

I agree.

This morning I heard Mike Johnson former niner OC after Raye got fired and they said with him as OC VD had 5 passes over 40 yards last year. And this year he has none.
  • dj43

Teams are keeping a safety over him most of the time in addition to a LB underneath. He is almost never single covered. That was not happening last year. This year, without any threat from the WRs, teams can afford to double him with a safety. Until we get a couple of WRs that threaten an opposing team enough to force a safety to respect them with double coverage, this situation will not change. Teams will always double the most dangerous receiver, and for now, that is Davis.
Originally posted by susweel:

I agree.

This morning I heard Mike Johnson former niner OC after Raye got fired and they said with him as OC VD had 5 passes over 40 yards last year. And this year he has none.

I actually agree as well. Part of the reason Vernon is getting double and triple teamed is that we're actually making it pretty easy to do so. We are not doing enough to create or set up mismatches with Vernon.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I agree.

I actually agree as well. Part of the reason Vernon is getting double and triple teamed is that we're actually making it pretty easy to do so. We are not doing enough to create or set up mismatches with Vernon.

Let's make it a foursome! VD use to come out of the backfield, go in motion, spread out wide, and I haven't seen that as much this year. I think a big part of his problems this year revolve around new routes and not running the seam as has been mentioned. He has to be comfortable in the route before he can be consistent.

Would like to see more motion and some switching of positions with VD but that might not be possible this year.
Roman needs to be called out. So far, Sealy is doing a better job than the man he replaced. Fangio is doing a better job than Manusky. I can't really say Roman has done a better job with this offense than Johnson.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Roman needs to be called out. So far, Sealy is doing a better job than the man he replaced. Fangio is doing a better job than Manusky. I can't really say Roman has done a better job with this offense than Johnson.

I'd say he's done a better job...but not by as much as the aforementioned coaches.

Dont understand all the upheavel. Most of you didnt think we would win six games and no one thought we would win 10. The problem lies that now we are playoff bound everyones expectation has risen. Drop passes are an issue, there are penalities then there are stupid penalities, we seem to have too much stupid ones. The o-line is not doing its job, Alex is still thinking and not reacting (I still like him tho), the red zone seems to be infected with red worms. The niners are moving the football up and down the field till they get into the red zone. Then it seems blocking, dropped balls, penalities, execution and play calling leaves the brain. Fix the red zone problems we can win the Super Bowl if they dont we will be out of the playoffs in the first game.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by boqi:
Andy Lee - You look white, you kick like a Mexican soccer player, but your last name is Chinese. WTF?!?!

Lmaooo
The problem with the drops are that they come at the WORST times possible. Crucial 3rd or 4th downs (the Hunter drop) and then when they could go for big gainers or TDs (the Vernon drop). It gets sickening to see a drop just destroy a drive or make you come away without the TD you'd have, and it has cost us in this last game.

I agree.

A lot of good points. And yes we need to use him more. And what happened to the deep post route with him? That's how he got 13 TD's and 965 yards. But we don't do it anymore... I realize there is a lot more double coverage but Vernon needs to be more involved.
Since this thread has returned to the top of the pile, there's something else I'd like to call out.

Receivers, tight ends, backs: when we run a play on 3rd down and manageable yardage, please be certain to cut your route beyond the "first down pylon." During the course of the season you may have noticed that cutting your route a yard or two shy of the first down pylon seldom results in your objective, that being a first down. Notice that there are big florescent orange markers handily placed on both sides of the field that denote where the first down marker is placed. If, during the course of your route, you become confused, don't hesitate to consult these handy way points. Do not be afraid of them. They're there to help you, not hurt you.

Last, if any of this confuses you, please consult the nose tackle or the left tackle with the smashed nose. Both of these players are familiar with the importance of the big orange pylon and will do their very best to help you understand this simple binary device.
Share 49ersWebzone