There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Calling Out Players That Need to be Called Out

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Nice try! GB passes more and Rodgers makes riskier throws than SF and Smith. GB receivers drop as many passes as SF, they just have a third again as many chances to make the drops. They also defend against interceptions, which the SF receivers do not do effectively (Smith just doesn't throw into tight coverage). You seem intent on taking over the thread to speak against Smith at any opportunity, it would be interesting to know if you think the rest of the team are all probowlers or do they deserve some criticism?

Edit: Your comment regarding Smith calling time out every time teams blitz demonstrates you bias and leaves one to wonder how serious you are about reasonable discussion. Not very would be my guess.

Rodgers throws it 3 times as much as Smith? No. More, yes. 3 times as much? False, and hyperbole.

The Broncos seem to drop a lot of passes too. Wonder why? Has nothing to do with all the floaters Tebows throws, does it? Of course not! Denver has the worst receiving corps in the league!

As for the rest of the offense. We have a guy like braylon who had 1600 yards with Derek Anderson of all people. 900 with mark Sanchez in a run first offense. yet he comes here and sucks? Don't buy it. He's good. Inconsisent at times but good.

The TE duo we have in terms of a talent standpoint is the best in the league. 2 TE's that run 4.4's? Who else has that?

Crabtree is not fast but has shown this year when healthy he can create separation deep with double moves. I like him. Maybe not worth the top 10 selection, but he isn't bad.

Kyle Williams is a killer in the slot. Amazing quickness and good deep speed. Also plays bigger than his size.

The O-line is far from great. But good QB's make a line look better with a fast release and sound footwork in the pocket. Alex Smith does not have good footwork. Nor does he have a quick release.

I think a good QB would do wonders for the offense.
[ Edited by Quarterbacking101 on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Quarterbacking101:
this is a hitch.

That's not at all what braylon ran. You talked out of your ass. No big deal. Just try better next time to sound smart.

I can concede that it probably wasn't a hitch route, but I can't concede that this was a fade route as you claim.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I can concede that it probably wasn't a hitch route, but I can't concede that this was a fade route as you claim.

Then why did Harbaugh call the same route in week 1 a "fade" on Sound FX?

And it's nice to see that you at least ADMITTED you were talking out of your ass about the hitch thing. You're better than most here, i'll give you that.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Because the second route was not a fade? Are you dense?

This is a comeback. He doesn't adjust his body in mid air. Receiver breaks and then stops turning around to catch the pass breaking to his left. If a receiver adjusts his body mid air, it's a backshoulder fade. You are an idiot.
Actually in the video it is more of an out route than a comebacker. Announcer even calls it an out route, besides a comeback is running a 7 or 10 yard straight pattern, then turning around and running straight back to catch a ball. Anyways what B. Edwards ran seems to me is more of an out route than a fade. Alex threw it to the sidelines and B. Edwards ran his out route to and didn't get his head around quick enough. Just like the play in the Cardnals game where the ball hit him in the back. I like B. Edwards, its just that the timing isn't there because all the time he missed due to injuries.
[ Edited by TT49ers on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for 12b6demurrer.
Then why did Harbaugh call the same route in week 1 a "fade" on Sound FX?

And it's nice to see that you at least ADMITTED you were talking out of your ass about the hitch thing. You're better than most here, i'll give you that.

I'm not in the locker room so I can't speculate as to what they call what.

But a back shoulder fade (which Harbaugh is probably referring to) is a way different throw from a standard fade, which Braylon ran in the NYJ clip you posted and what Kyle Williams ran in the clip I posted. Those were standard fades have more of a loft action toward the back corner of the endzone and they both require the receiver to get behind the defender.

The back shoulder fade can't be lofted as much and is more of a calculated strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HnafuHkAL-Y

I can get onboard with the fact that Alex didn't make the back shoulder fade and he threw it poorly. But they are definitely different throws and comparing a standard fade and a back shoulder fade is pretty futile.
Originally posted by TT49ers:
Actually in the video it is more of an out route than a comebacker. Announcer even calls it an out route, besides a comeback is running a 7 or 10 yard straight pattern, then turning around and running straight back to catch a ball. Anyways what B. Edwards ran seems to me is more of an out route than a fade. Alex threw it to the sidelines and B. Edwards ran his out route to deep. He pushes his defender almost to the back of the endzone, before Edwards got his head around and ran towards the sidelines. If he just pivot 2 yards after he passes the goal line and pivot and then headed for the sidelines he probably would of made that catch.

If it was an out route he would have planted and broke to his left. he wouldn't have tried to adjust mid air. It's the same damn route we ran against Seattle in Week 1 when we got the PI call. And harbaugh called that one a "fade" on Sound FX. So cut the BS.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think the problem right now is that the drops compared to the great catches is a horrifically one sided ratio. We see maybe one good catch a game, while witnessing a minimum of three to six dropped passes every game. The thing is, I just don't know how we fix such a consistent issue (the drops), aside from forcing them to practice more.. or upgrading pass-catching talent. Crabs has a drop every now and then, BUT they're pretty few and far between these days. Walker, VD and Ginn on the other hand are almost locks to drop one each game. Crabs has made more plays lately than any of these guys and it's no wonder he's become Smith's favorite target. He's one of the only people Alex can trust at the moment.

I think the drop argument has been overblown. the league average for drops is 22. We have 26. Not great but it is right about average...

Plus there are multiple players making the drops so each should be singled out. Crabtree is the highest is drops at 6 which is tied for 14th in the league with about 8 other guys. Then you have guys like Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Jermichael Finley, Desean Jackson, Dallas Clark, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith all have more drops the Crabs. Yes, some of these guys are targeted more, but most not significantly higher then Crabs, who is our clear #1.

Yeah the drops are there, but its not like 26 drops is an astronomical amount.

I know I know, you ahve to consider that somes teams pass more. Well, the team that passes most, Green Bay, WR drop the ball about 5% of the time. This is also the team which everyone claims has elite WRs all around...

Our WR drop the ball 7% of the times. Not that much higher then GB. If we throw 100 passes we drop 7. If they throw 100 passes they drop 5.

Now what about the other 93-95 passes? GB moves the ball while we dump it down, throw short, overthrow, or whatever.

And our WRs get ripped for drops? Its not like we are anywhere near last in the league in this category.

We have other problems on this team bigger then the drops.

THANK YOU, someone needed to shed light on this subject, glad you did a little homework. I've said other teams get drops too. Alex is not an above average QB and that is a huge issue, and we do not have an above average WR. We do have a TE though, and VD's play has made me wonder this year. But i didnt have to think about it too much because we were winning.
Actually in the video it is more of an out route than a comebacker. Announcer even calls it an out route, besides a comeback is running a 7 or 10 yard straight pattern, then turning around and running straight back to catch a ball. Anyways what B. Edwards ran seems to me is more of an out route than a fade. Alex threw it to the sidelines and B. Edwards ran his out route to deep. He pushes his defender almost to the back of the endzone, before Edwards got his head around and ran towards the sidelines. If he just pivot 2 yards after he passes the goal line and pivot and then headed for the sidelines he probably would of made that catch.

If it was an out route he would have planted and broke to his left. he wouldn't have tried to adjust mid air. It's the same damn route we ran against Seattle in Week 1 when we got the PI call. And harbaugh called that one a "fade" on Sound FX. So cut the BS.

Your right it wasn't really a true out route, that why I edited my post. Anyways to me a fade is a ball that has loft to the back corner of the endzone. All I know is that there is miscommunication and between Smith and Edwards.
Nice try! GB passes more and Rodgers makes riskier throws than SF and Smith. GB receivers drop as many passes as SF, they just have a third again as many chances to make the drops. They also defend against interceptions, which the SF receivers do not do effectively (Smith just doesn't throw into tight coverage). You seem intent on taking over the thread to speak against Smith at any opportunity, it would be interesting to know if you think the rest of the team are all probowlers or do they deserve some criticism?

Edit: Your comment regarding Smith calling time out every time teams blitz demonstrates you bias and leaves one to wonder how serious you are about reasonable discussion. Not very would be my guess.

Rodgers throws it 3 times as much as Smith? No. More, yes. 3 times as much? False, and hyperbole.

The Broncos seem to drop a lot of passes too. Wonder why? Has nothing to do with all the floaters Tebows throws, does it? Of course not! Denver has the worst receiving corps in the league!

As for the rest of the offense. We have a guy like braylon who had 1600 yards with Derek Anderson of all people. 900 with mark Sanchez in a run first offense. yet he comes here and sucks? Don't buy it. He's good. Inconsisent at times but good.

The TE duo we have in terms of a talent standpoint is the best in the league. 2 TE's that run 4.4's? Who else has that?

Crabtree is not fast but has shown this year when healthy he can create separation deep with double moves. I like him. Maybe not worth the top 10 selection, but he isn't bad.

Kyle Williams is a killer in the slot. Amazing quickness and good deep speed. Also plays bigger than his size.

The O-line is far from great. But good QB's make a line look better with a fast release and sound footwork in the pocket. Alex Smith does not have good footwork. Nor does he have a quick release.

Please read carefullly next time! A third again is not three times. A third again is one/third more. Using Denver as a comparison? Why? Are they 10-3?

Wow, another guy who thinks that the combine warrior wins super bowls. I'd rather have a TE who can read defenses and catch the ball every time they get their hands on it. But I would definately tune into your track meet when you have all the TEs line up to see who can go to the superbowl.

Edwards? Have you watched any games this year? He was doing fine with Smith until he was injured, now he can't even look back for the ball. Smith hit him on the hip. Williams is injury prone but I like him and would like to see more of him.

The OLine? Really? Smith is responsible for the OLine looking like cr*p? New center who was allowed to walk by NO, RG replaced by perennial backup, two players with two years experience, and Staley out the first quarter. Yup, all Smith's fault!

Edit: oops! Forgot Crabtree! Just like last year Crabtree was injured early but has come on late. He is a player I really like but those double moves are a double edge sword as they also can throw the timing of the route off. He doesn't always get separation but when he does I like his moves after the catch. If you have noticed, Smith has been hitting him more in stride and lower over the past several games as they gain sync.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM ]

• Axl49
  • Veteran
VD run people over

HARBAUGH and COACHES BLITZ for the love of god BLITZ jesus

Delaine I never liked you. You always seem to fumble or drop balls when it matter the most like this last game trade him for some value picks while we still can.

Whole offenes get you heads out your asses and Smith call screens and slants more often we have the personnel audible if you have too just stop throwing at WR feet.

ahhh that felt good now LETS GO KICK PITT's ASS

You seem to be falling into the fallacy of Smith versus the rest of the team. Many of the anti-Smith posters have set up this false issue accusing Smith supporters of demeaning the OLine and WRs in order to defend Smith. This has never been the case but it makes an easier argument for those who do not want to be intellectually honest.

No one on this team is perfect and most are learning this new offense, if not a position, on the fly. The OLine has some incredible talent but they are young and inexperienced together. To expect them to play as well as a seasoned line is unreasonable. Davis, Iupati and Boone are talented guys who will be part of a very good SF line for years to come. I still have some hope for Rachal as well but am losing patience. I'm worried about Staley because of his injuries the past few years, but he has been a decent RT and LT for the 9ers...certainly one of their most consistent linemen. I still want to see Kilgore play some as I like his fire.

So before you go off accusing us of bias and blaming everyone but Smith, read the posts and try to address individuals instead of a mythical Smith-lover...please.
Originally posted by lifer49erfan:
My callout goes to Alex Smith. How do you get a delay of game call coming off a timeout???

Because any time teams show the blitz, Alex has to call a timeout because he's confused. I don't see this happen with any other QB. Of course, I'm sure it was the coaches fault for that one...Just like it was Raye's fault last year...yet there is a common denominator.....Too bad people can't accept the common denominator.

It was Raye's fault last year!

In this case, a receiver ran right in front of Smith prior to the snap while the clock was winding down. That receiver was confused.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
BLITZ!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by pigskin:
It was Raye's fault last year!

In this case, a receiver ran right in front of Smith prior to the snap while the clock was winding down. That receiver was confused.

That was funny! It was suppose to be a handoff but the receiver beat the ball and was past Smtih so a timeout had to be called. Was that Smith's fault? He should have tripped the receiver and then dropped the ball on top of him!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home