LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 410 users in the forums

Niners need to defend the screen AND implement it into their offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have a feeling we are going to see a s**t LOAD (not sure how big that is) of things we have never seen. The way Harbaugh and players have talked about installs, it seems that they basically plan, practice, and apply practically a new "playbook" every week or should I say new plays off of already used formations.

Harbaugh is really working our players' minds and they have shown to be able to handle it.

s**t, I wouldn't be surprised if we see this formation: Playaction sprint right throw left to LT#2

--------------LT#2--C--LG--RG--RT--RT#2--TE
----------------------QB
-----------------32--------43
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
We defended the screen pretty damn well this season. I have no idea why we didn't use it more often in the O. Both Gore and Hunter run it very well.
Thought they defend the screen pretty well, but you are right. I think Kendell Hunter will be a killer on screen passes.
Our ability and commitment to run the ball, made it harder to sell the screen. The defense may be rushing Smith but due to our running game, the defense will always lookout for the RB and the run. So when Smith goes back and try to throw a screen to Gore, the linebackers are already discipline enough to pay attention to Gore due to that run threat. Gore end up getting covered in most cases. Smith purposely blow it up by throwing it at Gore's feet.
BIzump

Seems we got the defensive part down but we could use it on offense big time.

We can't go out there and play Harlem Globetrotter football just because we're more talented than 80% of the league and expect to win with low intensity half ass effort.

We had the lead but if we need to kill clock and gain yardage,screens > 30 yard bombs every down.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
BIzump

Seems we got the defensive part down but we could use it on offense big time.

We can't go out there and play Harlem Globetrotter football just because we're more talented than 80% of the league and expect to win with low intensity half ass effort.

We had the lead but if we need to kill clock and gain yardage,screens > 30 yard bombs every down.

Good Call Tony!

I don't feel confident our game planning practices it enough to be good at it.

All of us in the Zone love to play Armchair Coach.

Having watched the GREAT Walsh teams mix up their plays with mastery and then seeing a basically one dimensional offense is SOOOO frustrating. Seeing Walsh' offense mix up the plays so effectively the opposition wasn't attacking us as much waiting to see what we were doing - they had to play our game.

All this JH-Talk about "going to the archives" and find gems of the past has added to the exasperation.

We now have the players; solid runners and a mix of WR that can make a dynamic offense.

Man, I hope we see it soon
Screens rb and te
Slants
Trips
Stacks
Rb primary option
Find out if this O can truly run an system that dangerous from 3, 5 and 7 steps

Harbaugh needs to learn how to adjust
OC Greg Roman = never gonna happen

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
OC Greg Roman = never gonna happen

Yup. If it hasn't happened in 4 years, it will never happen. It's just not part of his philosophy.

Same goes for Harbaugh, btw. It's his offense.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM ]
Greg Roman would have a panic attack at the complicated scary though of him having to come up with a creative play.
Jiberish, everyone knows FGs win championships.....
lol, this was resurrected from 2011....

... which means the problem has not been addressed in three years!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Raul98:
Greg Roman would have a panic attack at the complicated scary though of him having to come up with a creative play.

pretty harsh if you ask me. i remember a creative play he did, that was the toss pitch to kyle williams on a wet field with a wet ball in our own territory vs the giants in the nfc title game. it was a disaster and led to a giants touchdown but thats beside the point. that was the first sign to me that he was a moron esp in big games,, of course it was more popular to rip williams than to blame roman . i take no pleasure in being right all these years
Share 49ersWebzone