There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners need to defend the screen AND implement it into their offense

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Roman seems as stubborn as Singletary at times.

Yup, every bit as pigheaded. During the game I was thinking to myself that the playcalling was a some sort of reverse Singletary twilight zone.
We run a ton of WR screens. I assume you guys are talking about RB screens?

I agree we should run more slants, especially vs the blitz.

Zona did a great job discuising the blitz.
we ran a screen to hunter on the first play after skelton fumbled the ball, it was a gain of about 8 yards i think. definitely need to run it more. defenses are seeing this on film and are probably not game planning for it
That Kendall Hunter screen was MONEY

I want to see a buttload of these esp in the playoffs.

Aaron threw about 8 slants and 12 screen plays lol
espescially facing new orleans and green bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think our screen defense has actually gotten a ton better this year. But yes on offense it's hard to understand why we're not sprinkling in a few more of these to our RB's.
I agree that we could use a lot more RB screens, especially against defenses that bring a lot of heat.

However, developing a good screen game is one of the hardest parts of an offense to get right. It requires a TON of practice time to get the timing and technique down. Offensive linemen must make a strong initial contact with defenders so as not to tip off the play. After that hard contact, they need to move in unison to set up the blocking where they must identify the defenders they have to block. All the while the timing between the QB and the back must be in tune as well.

Now lack of pre-season time and given the changeover at RG along with the hamstring injury to Adam Snyder, a key person in setting up the blocking, it is not surprising we are not screening well. I hope the time during the bye week will allow work on this as it would be a big help against Detroit as well as the blitz packages Dom Capers and Greg Williams bring.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Packers, Saints , Patriots, and Steelers ALL screen wh*re all of the time.

I haven't seen us screen more than twice a game.

I bet you a screen game would help us out. Everyone else is doing it. Harbro needs to fix this asap.

Been thinking this all season!
Not even joking, but I definitely think we're saving our 'screen-option' plays for the playoffs (most likely against the Saints), specially in the REDZONE (where Alex Smith held much success last season, throwing many to Frank Gore).

The Steelers and Giants games were the last two times I really saw us use it (we honestly seem to be saving our 'best' plays for better teams it appears; onside kicks, 'Skywalkers', screens, and forward slants).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM ]
I agree with all of you. For a "WCO" where are all the slants and screens?

When we have used it, it has been pretty effective. Why on earth would Harb/Roman not use screens more?

My dad and I have had the conversation about "saving plays" until the playoffs, especially after the loss to Arizona. I don't know if I'm buying that. Then again, I'd LOVE to see Greg Williams face when he gets gashed for a 40 yard TD on a 3rd and 8.

Screens, counters and draws are basically constraint plays that must be sprinkled in, or timed to keep defenses honest. If the defense adjust to what your are doing (base plays) a countermeasure is necessary.

I have always been interested in the theory behind "calling plays." Bill Walsh used to liken it to boxing. I was reading an interview with an NFL OC asking about play calling theory and he said (I can't remember who) it was "more art then science."

I always thought when Norv Turner was an OC he had a good feel for it, even though he comes from the Coryell School of O. It seemed like he'd run strong side power down your throat, and just when the D adjusted he'd hit the counter and deep PA game.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/why-every-team-should-apply-the-constraint-theory-of-offense

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/01/constraint-theory-of-offense.html
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Dec 30, 2011 at 5:36 PM ]
Harbaugh will bust out in the playoffs, we will see the 49ers of old and defenses wont know what team they playing against, since we played pretty vanilla all season
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Not even joking, but I definitely think we're saving our 'screen-option' plays for the playoffs (most likely against the Saints), specially in the REDZONE (where Alex Smith held much success last season, throwing many to Frank Gore).

The Steelers and Giants games were the last two times I really saw us use it (we honestly seem to be saving our 'best' plays for better teams it appears; onside kicks, 'Skywalkers', screens, and forward slants).
this
I'm telling you , Harbros. reads this site lol

What was that Crabtree screen td?

Like a 20 yard T.D.?

I'd like to see more Hunter and Gore screens as well. Vernon and Staley have the speed.

Implement these in our versatile playbook and I can DEFINITLEY see us winning IT ALL .

Go Niners!!
nice middle screen to hunter in rams game (1st time i recall a back getting a middle screen this year)