LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Start Kyle Williams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Start Kyle Williams?

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of this guy.

For the first time in years, the coaching staff knows more than we do. It was frustrating in years past to watch Ray McDonald sit on the bench when we all knew he should be starting.

That being said, it's obvious Williams is a serious threat and deserves more PT.

Harbaugh knows this, Roman knows this.

I expect to see much more of him in the closing weeks.
He definitely needs more playing time
I think Braylon feels the heat and he now wants to start so he doesn't lose his starting job to Kyle. Makes you think is he being selfish? If he is NOT 100% healthy he should sit and not risk further injury to himself or possible poor play to hurt the team. Let a healthy producing Kyle Williams line up and play. Something to watch.
Originally posted by gtowns:
I like him. The coaches know what to do tho

Yeah, I am sure Harbaugh is feeling good about him too and has plans to give him more opportunity...but depth charts are not changed in NFL because of a few nice grabs in a game. We all know that the week to week behind the scenes work fans don't see is the biggest factor in deciding depth chart. Contract size is always denied publicly as a reason someone else starts, but no doubt those politics also play a role & always will in the business.
Maybe Williams will get to run a "Fly Sweep" like Ginn did
  • dj43
Though his body of work so far is very limited, he certainly looks like he can contribute. As to when he should play/start, I'll leave that up to Harbaugh.

I agree with others that getting Edwards back into the flow of the offense will be critical going into the playoffs. In fact, he may be the key to getting past the first game, certainly a key figure if it comes down to SF vs GB in the NFC Championship game. I just don't see the offense as having enough diversity to compete in such a game without having a big, strong receiver that is fully healthy.
I voted yes. He can catch any inaccurate pass from Smith. lol Seriously I think with the injuries and his play he deserves to start.
Williams has/is taking somebodies job soon. I like that he is forcing his way into more snaps. I like him as the 3rd WR. I still like the Edwards-Crabtree starting combo. Edwards has been hurt since the 49ers have opened up the playbook. I want to see what Edwards can do with more passes going down field.
Given that he is the Number 3 option on the field behind Crabs and VD and maybe even 4th behind walker you have to start him. He is not going to draw the best coverages and he has shown sure hands and some serious ability to run after the catch. Which means that whoever is on him will have to play tight which opens things up for VD and Crabs.
Edwards wants to play/needs to play because he's in a contract year. Kyle is showing that he could be starter material and clearly Edwards is seeing this and telling the Niners he's healthy. I'm mean we all heard Harbaugh glowing about how well Williams is playing. Clearly we can be a better team with a healthy Edwards and Williams on the field.

I have been massively impressed with this kid so far.

Curious… of the 14 balls thrown his way this year (11 catches) were any of the three drops?

- 10 of his 11 catches went for a first down.

- 78% catches per target (Only Morgan edges his out in this with 79%)

- 8.5 YAC average - better than any WR.

- 14.7 average per catch - better than any WR

I know these stats, with only 14 tossed his way, have to be taken with a grain of salt, but What I've been impressed with is the kid looks confident, natural and more like a vet than - "essentially" - a rookie.
If anyone here thinks Braylon Edwards will be a 49er next year, I have a feeling you guys will be in for a shock.

He's done NOTHING for this time, and I mean NOTHING at all.

Yes he's injured, that's not his fault, but he's on a 1 year contract and has been hurt all year, you think Ballke is going to re-sign him on the premise that he "might be good next year if he's healthy". It doesn't work that way.

Unless Edwards steps it up in these next 4 games and becomes a force in the playoffs, than his ass is as good as gone. Williams should be the starter, he's proven himself more than Edwards, it's not even close.

Start Kyle Williams, he's a playmaker, he needs to be on the field.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by King49er:
If anyone here thinks Braylon Edwards will be a 49er next year, I have a feeling you guys will be in for a shock.

He's done NOTHING for this time, and I mean NOTHING at all.

Yes he's injured, that's not his fault, but he's on a 1 year contract and has been hurt all year, you think Ballke is going to re-sign him on the premise that he "might be good next year if he's healthy". It doesn't work that way.

Unless Edwards steps it up in these next 4 games and becomes a force in the playoffs, than his ass is as good as gone. Williams should be the starter, he's proven himself more than Edwards, it's not even close.

Start Kyle Williams, he's a playmaker, he needs to be on the field.

no doubt in my mind that he gets let go.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he is the real deal. He can at least be a Wes Welker type for us. No use wasting him on the bench. He always makes plays when in. And I love the fact that he catches everything you throw at him.

That's really the key. A lot of people keep wanting huge numbers from Alex and big plays, but they forget the basis of the WCO is consistency. It's making that 3rd down catch and keeping the chains moving. It's driving on a defense and wearing them down. We just haven't had anyone that has stood up and said "I am GOING to make this catch, period!". That would help this offense more than anything. That 3rd down conversion rate HAS to improve, or it will bite us come playoff time. Plus when you have a receiver willing to make those clutch catches, it gives your QB a lot more confidence.
Also, in his short playing time, he's shown a variety of skills and abilities.

- Had a long catch and run for a TD.

- Had a goal-line end zone (Key play) catch for a TD (Something we need to have more of)

- Been good at getting getting the first down

- Showed great speed and running ability on that fly sweep play against the Rams.

- And… That stiff arm was naaaasssssttttyyyy!

Crap pic I know! Please somebody out there post a better pic of this epic stiff arm.... or even better a .gif

As for more playing time, I think it's going to happen naturally, but he's been a nice surprise and filled the Morgan/Edwards-hole pretty well. Since the Rams game, I've been looking into this kid and found a lot of interesting things. Just a hunch... this kid feels like a playoff "hidden" impact player
[ Edited by stillpans4gold on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone