There are 217 users in the forums

Why does VD shy away from contact?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Fullshred, my initial post on page 1 was, "Jeez, you guys want blood" . Drops and ball concentration are a concern however. but no way do we trade Vernon
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Fullshred, my initial post on page 1 was, "Jeez, you guys want blood" . Drops and ball concentration are a concern however. but no way do we trade Vernon

I agree with your take. Not the greatest TE ever, but also not a guy that needs a new thread every other day to nitpick about what he doesn't do well.
Shy or not VD is still a beast!
Originally posted by sixbricks:
Shy or not VD is still a beast!

He is great at dragging guys that grab him from behind, but if you get in front of him it's an easy tackle!
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
pointless thread
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d822f92c0/Davis-digs-for-end-zone

He is great at dragging guys that grab him from behind, but if you get in front of him it's an easy tackle!
Look at this; perfect oppertunity to show that DB who's boss! Have you ever seen any player do that on the way into the endzone?
Not complaining because it was a TD, but why not be physical with these little DB's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRhKXp1t1o
He has the skills, but he even hits the dummy high!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ssVDE-5Vo
There is no secret here. Davis is about as elusive as a cement block. That doesn't mean he's not dangerous, means we should never pass him the ball on the line of scrimmage.
Perhaps he is doing a subconscious cost-benefit analysis. "I could run over the safety, but I risk screwing up my knee. However, I could try to run around him and make the required yardage while diminishing the probability that I will be injured for the rest of the game/season." Very rational. Very intelligent. In a way, very self-less. I remember Bo Jackson messing up his hip by being tough (see Raiders v. Bengals January 1991 playoff game), the Raiders won but were destroyed by the Bills the week after.
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Perhaps he is doing a subconscious cost-benefit analysis. "I could run over the safety, but I risk screwing up my knee. However, I could try to run around him and make the required yardage while diminishing the probability that I will be injured for the rest of the game/season." Very rational. Very intelligent. In a way, very self-less. I remember Bo Jackson messing up his hip by being tough (see Raiders v. Bengals January 1991 playoff game), the Raiders won but were destroyed by the Bills the week after.

You mean a "business decision."

Bo didn't mess up his hip by being tough. It was actually on a breakaway while being tackled from the side was it or behind.

Vernon put himself at a higher risk by trying to soften the contact. The last thing you want to do is try to stand straight up and fight for yardage while there is a defender draped around your ankles.

Just ask Napoleon McCallum. At 1:12. Not while a guy was draping his ankle, but it can easily happen with the way Vernon "fights" for yards.

Bo tried to run out of a strong ankle tacke, slightly pulled his hip out of socket and killed his careers (football and baseball) when he fell on the vulernable side. My problem with Vernon Davis is his inconsistent pass catching.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by JoeisGod:

You mean a "business decision."

Bo didn't mess up his hip by being tough. It was actually on a breakaway while being tackled from the side was it or behind.

Vernon put himself at a higher risk by trying to soften the contact. The last thing you want to do is try to stand straight up and fight for yardage while there is a defender draped around your ankles.

Just ask Napoleon McCallum. At 1:12. Not while a guy was draping his ankle, but it can easily happen with the way Vernon "fights" for yards.

He got stood up in the hole then taken down, How was he trying to fight for extra yards there?
Why is Davis being questioned liked this....I mean he has been a 49er for a while and no one has said anything until now? Oh thats right we are winning and we have to knit pick like a bunch of women....carry on!
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Hanging out with Dixon too much.

Vernon thought he was Barry Sanders long before Dixon came around.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I know I may catch a lot of flack for pointing this out but I have noticed that VD will try to; jump over, run around, juke, spin, leap, and sometimes jump on the ground like the WR's from "the greatest show on turf". Why is he such a P$$Y? On sound FX PWillis was even telling him "they say you won't get physical" "lower your shoulder and run somebody over"! His reply "I got you" and then he shyed away the entire game!

He will block (upclose contact), but when it comes to full speed contact he turns into a mouse.

I have noticed this for a long time now (since he was a rookie), he goes down on first contact unless you try to pull him down from behind.
We need a smash mouth TE that can catch the ball in the flat break a tackle and pick up first downs and short yardage TD's!

When he was getting the downfield yards, we were losing. So the answer isn't to send him on a streak route every play.

Thank's for letting me vent...

Your thoughts?

Everything you say is accurate. I've also made this observation, but many refuse to acknowledge what seems obvious. He's only hard to take down when tacklers are draped on him, but when they go for the jarring hit, down he goes, quite a bit easier than you'd think a guy of his stature and strength should. You forgot to mention the alligator arming or easing up on a route when it appears he's going to take a big hit. Sorry, but there are a number of TE's that are far more the complete package than Vernon. There's no arguing he's a great blocker, but with his size and strength, he should also be a dangerous runner (staright ahead, no juking, since he's not very agile or quick), and let's not forget the tendency for drops. I like Vernon, but have always felt he was vastly overrated, and with the exception of that one great receiving year, believed we did not get our money's worth for where he aws picked in the draft.

Yeah overrated.

965 yards and 13 TDs.

900 + yards and 7 TDs.

2 years in a row. 20 TDs in 2 years. More than any TE in the game. Tied for the lead of all WRs and TEs. Yup overrated. He's terrible.....

you defend VD way too much

just because someone is a good player and produces doesn't mean they have no flaws

he avoids contact when running after the catch, thats just how it is and we have all seen the drops

Yes he has flaws. But he was worth the draft pick. I dont understand how people in this forum can even try to make an arguement that he wasnt worth the draft pick. Its called nitpicking, you find something to hate on the guy for and you start to take your shots at him. Drops,looks stiff when trying to juke a defender, Ive seen it all too. All im saying is that we have bigger needs on this team then replacing our Pro Bowl TE.
Share 49ersWebzone