There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive Stats that may interest only me....

Before the season, I said on multiple occasions that I thought the 49ers would struggle on O early and that they would be progressing each and every week.

I think its safe to say that is correct. Moreover, the first 3 weeks of the season were BRUTAL. 209 yards, 206 yards, and 226 yards.

After that tho, they seemed to come alive in Philly. All season we have seen stats that ranked us low in all total yards and Passing yards catagories.

So........

I decided to take out the first 3 game sof the season to find out exactly where the Niners stood over the past 8 compared to the averages per game of the rest of the league.

Where the Niners stand right now:
Total O: 308.6 Yards Per Game (26th)
Rushing O: 128.7 Yards Per Game (7th)
Passing O: 179.9 Yards per game (29th)

Adjusted stats taking the first three games out:
Total O: 344.25 Yards Per Game (15th)
Rushing O: 150.87 Yards Per Game (4th)
Passing O: 193.37 Yards Per Game (26th)

The jump from 26th in total yards to 15th is the one that really struck me. I think thats a bit more accurate barometer of where this offense stands right now.

The best part tho is that they are STILL getting a bit better every single week. The hope is that they are alot better in January than they are right now and I think thats why we've seen the Niners put the ball in the air much more lately.

Even with the Niners being 9-2, the lockout still hurt them badly. They can get SOOOOOOOO much better. They haven't been beaten physically. They have been beaten schematically and with players making mistakes.

I still have high hopes for the remainder of the season, but NEXT year....woah. A full offseason? The second year in the O?

Wow.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM ]
Now just imagine if we had a gun slinger at QB
Our ppg in the last 4 games has dropped. We started passing more and gained more yards but the points dropped. I think the offense has gotten a little worse in the past 4 games.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Now just imagine if we had a gun slinger at QB

We would be -10 in turnover ratio and have a 5-6 record.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Now just imagine if we had a gun slinger at QB

We would be -10 in turnover ratio and have a 5-6 record.

lol, possible
Originally posted by Joecool:
Our ppg in the last 4 games has dropped. We started passing more and gained more yards but the points dropped. I think the offense has gotten a little worse in the past 4 games.

Yes, but its because they have gotten themselves into a position to try things they weren't trying before. They are passing more than they are running to prepare themselves for a playoff run.

Thats not to say that they will Pass more than run in the playoffs. I'm just saying they are preparing themselves for a January run.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Our ppg in the last 4 games has dropped. We started passing more and gained more yards but the points dropped. I think the offense has gotten a little worse in the past 4 games.

Yes, but its because they have gotten themselves into a position to try things they weren't trying before. They are passing more than they are running to prepare themselves for a playoff run.

Thats not to say that they will Pass more than run in the playoffs. I'm just saying they are preparing themselves for a January run.

They are just struggling to get the passing game going. Remember when they were trying to get the running game going earlier in the season. Yeah, it was pretty ugly. I just hope they can get the passing game going in time for the playoff.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Before the season, I said on multiple occasions that I thought the 49ers would struggle on O early and that they would be progressing each and every week.

I think its safe to say that is correct. Moreover, the first 3 weeks of the season were BRUTAL. 209 yards, 206 yards, and 226 yards.

After that tho, they seemed to come alive in Philly. All season we have seen stats that ranked us low in all total yards and Passing yards catagories.

So........

I decided to take out the first 3 game sof the season to find out exactly where the Niners stood over the past 8 compared to the averages per game of the rest of the league.

Where the Niners stand right now:
Total O: 308.6 Yards Per Game (26th)
Rushing O: 128.7 Yards Per Game (7th)
Passing O: 179.9 Yards per game (29th)

Adjusted stats taking the first three games out:
Total O: 344.25 Yards Per Game (15th)
Rushing O: 150.87 Yards Per Game (4th)
Passing O: 193.37 Yards Per Game (26th)

The jump from 26th in total yards to 15th is the one that really struck me. I think thats a bit more accurate barometer of where this offense stands right now.

The best part tho is that they are STILL getting a bit better every single week. The hope is that they are alot better in January than they are right now and I think thats why we've seen the Niners put the ball in the air much more lately.

Even with the Niners being 9-2, the lockout still hurt them badly. They can get SOOOOOOOO much better. They haven't been beaten physically. They have been beaten schematically and with players making mistakes.

I still have high hopes for the remainder of the season, but NEXT year....woah. A full offseason? The second year in the O?

Wow.

You can't take out the first three games, it is what makes the niners, niners. Otherwise anyone can say take out this portion of the season cause of x reason and we are this. This is a part of life. In the end it is how you finsih, not begin or middle.

As for missed off season, the same can be said of other teams too, maybe it was a blessing (injuries).
Yea i applaud your effort but you just can't take out the 1st 3 games.
Since you like stats the following is from our SB years passing TDs and rushing TDs. Then compare it with what the niners have done so far.

1981 (XVI), 1984 (XIX), 1988 (XXIII), 1989 (XXIV), 1995 (XXIX)

20/17 32/21 21/18 35/14 29/19

2011
13/9
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Before the season, I said on multiple occasions that I thought the 49ers would struggle on O early and that they would be progressing each and every week.

I think its safe to say that is correct. Moreover, the first 3 weeks of the season were BRUTAL. 209 yards, 206 yards, and 226 yards.

After that tho, they seemed to come alive in Philly. All season we have seen stats that ranked us low in all total yards and Passing yards catagories.

So........

I decided to take out the first 3 game sof the season to find out exactly where the Niners stood over the past 8 compared to the averages per game of the rest of the league.

Where the Niners stand right now:
Total O: 308.6 Yards Per Game (26th)
Rushing O: 128.7 Yards Per Game (7th)
Passing O: 179.9 Yards per game (29th)

Adjusted stats taking the first three games out:
Total O: 344.25 Yards Per Game (15th)
Rushing O: 150.87 Yards Per Game (4th)
Passing O: 193.37 Yards Per Game (26th)

The jump from 26th in total yards to 15th is the one that really struck me. I think thats a bit more accurate barometer of where this offense stands right now.

The best part tho is that they are STILL getting a bit better every single week. The hope is that they are alot better in January than they are right now and I think thats why we've seen the Niners put the ball in the air much more lately.

Even with the Niners being 9-2, the lockout still hurt them badly. They can get SOOOOOOOO much better. They haven't been beaten physically. They have been beaten schematically and with players making mistakes.

I still have high hopes for the remainder of the season, but NEXT year....woah. A full offseason? The second year in the O?

Wow.

You can't take out the first three games, it is what makes the niners, niners. Otherwise anyone can say take out this portion of the season cause of x reason and we are this. This is a part of life. In the end it is how you finsih, not begin or middle.

As for missed off season, the same can be said of other teams too, maybe it was a blessing (injuries).

Well obviously...LOL!!

I'm not petitioning the league to have the stats changed...LOL.

My only point to this excercise was to show that they have improved and continue to improve as the season was worn on.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Before the season, I said on multiple occasions that I thought the 49ers would struggle on O early and that they would be progressing each and every week.

I think its safe to say that is correct. Moreover, the first 3 weeks of the season were BRUTAL. 209 yards, 206 yards, and 226 yards.

After that tho, they seemed to come alive in Philly. All season we have seen stats that ranked us low in all total yards and Passing yards catagories.

So........

I decided to take out the first 3 game sof the season to find out exactly where the Niners stood over the past 8 compared to the averages per game of the rest of the league.

Where the Niners stand right now:
Total O: 308.6 Yards Per Game (26th)
Rushing O: 128.7 Yards Per Game (7th)
Passing O: 179.9 Yards per game (29th)

Adjusted stats taking the first three games out:
Total O: 344.25 Yards Per Game (15th)
Rushing O: 150.87 Yards Per Game (4th)
Passing O: 193.37 Yards Per Game (26th)

The jump from 26th in total yards to 15th is the one that really struck me. I think thats a bit more accurate barometer of where this offense stands right now.

The best part tho is that they are STILL getting a bit better every single week. The hope is that they are alot better in January than they are right now and I think thats why we've seen the Niners put the ball in the air much more lately.

Even with the Niners being 9-2, the lockout still hurt them badly. They can get SOOOOOOOO much better. They haven't been beaten physically. They have been beaten schematically and with players making mistakes.

I still have high hopes for the remainder of the season, but NEXT year....woah. A full offseason? The second year in the O?

Wow.

You can't take out the first three games, it is what makes the niners, niners. Otherwise anyone can say take out this portion of the season cause of x reason and we are this. This is a part of life. In the end it is how you finsih, not begin or middle.

As for missed off season, the same can be said of other teams too, maybe it was a blessing (injuries).
You can't just ignore the first 3 games of the season but I think what he is saying shows a clearer picture. The Niners are not the 29th ranked offense in the league. that's 3 away from being the worst. taking out the stats of the slow start and the first 3 games shows a better picture of how well the offense does. About middle of the pack is what I thought and 15th is dead on. If people want to say we are 29th for the stats sake go ahead but it sounds like they don't know what their talking about beyond reading off a stat. The Chargers last year were "ranked"1st in offense and in defense" but yet they finished 8-8, and didn't make the playoffs and play in a weak division. Stats aren't always an accurate indicator...
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well obviously...LOL!!

I'm not petitioning the league to have the stats changed...LOL.

My only point to this excercise was to show that they have improved and continue to improve as the season was worn on.

My point is the game is like life, there is an ebb and tide to it. When it comes you got ride the wave, not be fixated on what was. We faced a low tide last week. After riding a great wave. We digressed a little. Will the team be grounded on the reef? We busted up teams and left them in a tailspin. Hope this isn't the case with us.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Our ppg in the last 4 games has dropped. We started passing more and gained more yards but the points dropped. I think the offense has gotten a little worse in the past 4 games.

Yes, but since yards are all that matters here in NT, we're looking great! Points and wins mean nothing.
to our credit, we have been consistent on our 3rd down conversion percentages.......consistently terrible!

from my thread that was merged a week back..

2/12 16% on 3rd down conversions against the Ravens
8/21 38% on 3rd down conversions against the Cards
3/11 27% against the Giants
3/12 25% against the Redskins
6/15 40% against the Browns
2/14 14% against the Lions
etc...

the point is we have been bad at converting 3rd down conversions all year. It just helped us that most of the teams we played made mistakes to get us good field position or just get the ball back for our offense to get another chance to score something. Sure we caused those mistakes as well, but we have also had the luxury of offenses making bonehead plays to help us out.


we need to see a dramatic improvement against the Rams.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM ]