There are 217 users in the forums

Are we "a very soft 9 - 2?" The WE DIDN'T PLAY ANYBODY argument.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Yup. Saints are better than us. They destroyed the Giants while we barely got past them.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
BTW I think New Orleans is capable of overtaking us for the #2 seed depending what happens with us vs. Pittsburgh.

We would have to lose twice and they would have to win out. we own the tiebreaker on them so identical records and we are the 2 seed
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by Eskendale:
Is the Baltimore game a warning from a top tier team or was it a "scheduled loss?" Short week, travel several time zones and play at Baltimore where losing is not an unexpected result. When we lost 1 game to Dallas in overtime I thought we were for real. But this game gives me pause. And here is why looking at the schedule and circumstances.

It's been argued by WZers and media types that we did play somebody. But did we? Wins vs. the Bengals, Eagles, Lions, Bucs and Giants were often pointed to as "good teams" we beat. Are they?

~ Eagles 4 - 7.
~ Bucs 4 - 7.
~ Lions - started 5 - 0 and have been dropping games ever since. Really imploded around the time we played them and after. Ok we can claim this one if we want. They were good when we played them. But they haven't been good lately. So how good are they?
~ Giants - Yup we beat them. But we resorted to onside kick trickery at home and could barely get them off the field after several 4th downs. IMO they are perfectly capable of beating us in a rematch.
~ Bengals - good record but a ROOKIE QB. Albeit a good one.

The Seahawks and Cardinals are a joke. And the Seahawks gave us a good game remember if not for 2 Ted Ginn returns that bailed us out. The Browns and Redskins are simply not good teams.

So look at who beat us.

~ Cowboys - a good team. Beat us passing all over the field. Looked like an unstoppable offense vs. us.
~ Ravens - a great TOP TIER team IMO. Completely abused us. Manhandled us all over the field. If we spent any more time on offense they would have had 15 - 20 sacks. Utter domination at the line of scrimmage. Far worse than the score IMO. A game that gives even the most rabid homer some pause and concern.

If I had to do a power ranking right now I would put it like this.

1) Packers - Would abuse us badly.
2) Saints - If we get behind no way to catch up. And we would get behind vs. them.
3) Patriots - Far superior IMO.
4) Ravens - Any worse abuse than this and you file assault charges...
5) Steelers - Vastly underrated by the WZ and media. This team is for real.

6) 49ers. Just my opinion.

I think the Texans and Bears have too many injury concerns at QB to be considered serious contenders. I'd put the Cowboys and Giants about even with us. Almost right on par. The Cowboys beat us. And we barely beat the Giants with onside kicks and all. IMO they are capable of beating us. I think Atlanta is about on par with us. They are definitely capable of beating us on a given sunday.

So maybe:

7) Dallas
8) New York Giants
9) Atlanta

I don't think those teams are far behind us. Capable of beating us too. One of them did.

I think we played one super elite top tier team and they abused us all over the field. It was far worse than the score in the physical matchup. I'm glad we are better. But I don't think we are as top tier as we think. Our offense is not capable of coming from behind. And if we get down in the playoffs I don't see much come from behind capability to keep the season alive. I'm glad we are better than we used to be. But we may not be ready yet for the big time. I agree with the argument that the Ravens and Steelers are the true test. Even if we split those, win out and go 14 - 2 I would start to believe again. If we lose that, get abused, win in NFC West matchups and go 13 - 3 I'm not sure how good we are?...
San Diego, you mention two teams that beat us.

The first, the Cowboys, won on plays like our DBs slipping and falling on TD bombs and Madieu Williams pathetically jumping routes and getting burned (we didn't have Goldson at this time). Really, we beat the Cowboys and gave the game away; better put, there is no reason why we couldn't beat them if played them again.

The Ravens game has been analyzed to the minutest detail, already. A football game is 60 minutes, and it came down to the 4th quarter. Flacco barely finished the game with more yards than Alex, and for all the sacks that the Ravens had they were prone to the big play. This is also a Ravens team that lost to the likes of the Seahawks and gave up 20+ points to teams like the Bengals.

The point is this: any team can be beaten any Sunday, but in 11 games we know two things: our defense is great and leads the league in points allowed (we allowed only 16 to the Ravens AT HOME), and our offense is mediocre and usually thrives off of winning the turnover ratio. The Ravens game taught us nothing new about this season.

Are you scared about playing the Saints? Unless start losing games we shouldn't, we'll play them at home. The Saints seem unstoppable when they are playing at the Superdome, but they come back down to earth on someone else's turf.

Cowboys? With our full arsenal at our disposal on defense and 16 games worth of time with Harbaugh's playbook, I don't see how we lose at home.

The Bears? Will Cutler even be ready?

The Giants? They might play themselves out of playoff contention.

The Falcons? Same team we lost to only because of Nate Clements, and that was WITHOUT Harbaugh.

The Packers? We have the same problem that the other 31 teams in the league have; it doesn't matter how or who it is, someone has to beat them.

The real question you should ask yourself is, are the 49ers bad enough to lose a 1st-round bye through a loss to one of the NFC West teams? Or, are the 49ers bad enough to lose at home to any NFC team not named Green Bay?

If you remember that Giants game, it was the same one that Tedd Ginn tipped a pass that was intercepted during the 2 minute drill, could've been points. We had been up two scores in that game heading into the 4th, and silly crap like blitzing Goldson on a late blitz eroded that lead. Our MO is bend but don't break, and we shouldn't F around with it. The game would've been a lot more lopsided if Fangio didn't try to get cute there.

we sucked cuz Alex can't play , Harbaugh and Co. are protecting his ass all season . We will never be contenders to go to SB untill Alex go somewhere and leave us alone . Never heard of a good QB with less the 250 yards a game unless we have the Ravens D. which we have but the OL is not good ! Alex must go !

Time warp.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
we sucked cuz Alex can't play , Harbaugh and Co. are protecting his ass all season . We will never be contenders to go to SB untill Alex go somewhere and leave us alone . Never heard of a good QB with less the 250 yards a game unless we have the Ravens D. which we have but the OL is not good ! Alex must go !

Montana in '81, '83, '84, and '85

Alex's fault. totally!
Meh! you cant make your schedule, so I dont care about anybody saying we didnt play anybody. The same could be said for Green Bay. Honestly after missing the playoffs for 9 years I could care less what the schedule is. I just want to go. I do believe we need to expand this offense to make a real push in the playoffs.
Originally posted by English:
Is the Baltimore game a warning from a top tier team or was it a "scheduled loss?" Short week, travel several time zones and play at Baltimore where losing is not an unexpected result. When we lost 1 game to Dallas in overtime I thought we were for real. But this game gives me pause. And here is why looking at the schedule and circumstances.

It's been argued by WZers and media types that we did play somebody. But did we? Wins vs. the Bengals, Eagles, Lions, Bucs and Giants were often pointed to as "good teams" we beat. Are they?

~ Eagles 4 - 7.
~ Bucs 4 - 7.
~ Lions - started 5 - 0 and have been dropping games ever since. Really imploded around the time we played them and after. Ok we can claim this one if we want. They were good when we played them. But they haven't been good lately. So how good are they?
~ Giants - Yup we beat them. But we resorted to onside kick trickery at home and could barely get them off the field after several 4th downs. IMO they are perfectly capable of beating us in a rematch.

The Seahawks and Cardinals are a joke. And the Seahawks gave us a good game remember if not for 2 Ted Ginn returns that bailed us out. The Browns and Redskins are simply not good teams.

So look at who beat us.

~ Cowboys - a good team. Beat us passing all over the field. Looked like an unstoppable offense vs. us.
~ Ravens - a great TOP TIER team IMO. Completely abused us. Manhandled us all over the field. If we spent any more time on offense they would have had 15 - 20 sacks. Utter domination at the line of scrimmage. Far worse than the score IMO. A game that gives even the most rabid homer some pause and concern.

2) Saints - If we get behind no way to catch up. And we would get behind vs. them.

I think the Texans and Bears have too many injury concerns at QB to be considered serious contenders. I'd put the Cowboys and Giants about even with us. Almost right on par. The Cowboys beat us. And we barely beat the Giants with onside kicks and all. IMO they are capable of beating us. I think Atlanta is about on par with us. They are definitely capable of beating us on a given sunday.

So maybe:

7) Dallas
8) New York Giants
9) Atlanta

I don't think those teams are far behind us. Capable of beating us too. One of them did.

I think we played one super elite top tier team and they abused us all over the field. It was far worse than the score in the physical matchup. I'm glad we are better. But I don't think we are as top tier as we think. Our offense is not capable of coming from behind. And if we get down in the playoffs I don't see much come from behind capability to keep the season alive. I'm glad we are better than we used to be. But we may not be ready yet for the big time. I agree with the argument that the Ravens and Steelers are the true test. Even if we split those, win out and go 14 - 2 I would start to believe again. If we lose that, get abused, win in NFC West matchups and go 13 - 3 I'm not sure how good we are?...

The first, the Cowboys, won on plays like our DBs slipping and falling on TD bombs and Madieu Williams pathetically jumping routes and getting burned (we didn't have Goldson at this time). Really, we beat the Cowboys and gave the game away; better put, there is no reason why we couldn't beat them if played them again.

The Ravens game has been analyzed to the minutest detail, already. A football game is 60 minutes, and it came down to the 4th quarter. Flacco barely finished the game with more yards than Alex, and for all the sacks that the Ravens had they were prone to the big play. This is also a Ravens team that lost to the likes of the Seahawks and gave up 20+ points to teams like the Bengals.

The point is this: any team can be beaten any Sunday, but in 11 games we know two things: our defense is great and leads the league in points allowed (we allowed only 16 to the Ravens AT HOME), and our offense is mediocre and usually thrives off of winning the turnover ratio. The Ravens game taught us nothing new about this season.

Are you scared about playing the Saints? Unless start losing games we shouldn't, we'll play them at home. The Saints seem unstoppable when they are playing at the Superdome, but they come back down to earth on someone else's turf.

Cowboys? With our full arsenal at our disposal on defense and 16 games worth of time with Harbaugh's playbook, I don't see how we lose at home.

The Falcons? Same team we lost to only because of Nate Clements, and that was WITHOUT Harbaugh.

The Packers? We have the same problem that the other 31 teams in the league have; it doesn't matter how or who it is, someone has to beat them.

The real question you should ask yourself is, are the 49ers bad enough to lose a 1st-round bye through a loss to one of the NFC West teams? Or, are the 49ers bad enough to lose at home to any NFC team not named Green Bay?

If you remember that Giants game, it was the same one that Tedd Ginn tipped a pass that was intercepted during the 2 minute drill, could've been points. We had been up two scores in that game heading into the 4th, and silly crap like blitzing Goldson on a late blitz eroded that lead. Our MO is bend but don't break, and we shouldn't F around with it. The game would've been a lot more lopsided if Fangio didn't try to get cute there.

Time warp.

Someone done gone full retard on us English...
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by English:

~ Eagles 4 - 7.
~ Bucs 4 - 7.

So look at who beat us.

So maybe:

7) Dallas
8) New York Giants
9) Atlanta

Time warp.

Someone done gone full retard on us English...

Bound to happen, mate. The shock of remembering, after all this time, what it is like to lose. It affects people.
We are what our record is and we have played the top teams extremely tough win or lose. One could say we exploited their weakness and that is why they became inconsistent after playing us.

BAL wasn't the only team that complimented us. NYG players did also.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:07 AM ]
I don't get the concern at this point and time. It is rare for a team to go undefeated and uncommon for a team to go through the season with only 1 or 2 losses. If we are able to accomplish that, regardless of our schedule and how "soft" some teams may be, that is a great accomplishment. The reality is that sometimes in a season, losses come at the hands of weaker teams (I am not saying that Baltimore is weak just that sometimes the weaker team will win). Case and point, how many losses did the Niners have in the years that they won the Superbowls. How many of the losses were from significantly inferior teams. Also, look at the Cowboys of the mid 90s regularly losing to lowly, at the time, Redskins but going on to win a Superbowl.
We can only play the games that we are scheduled to play and we have won most of them. Most of the teams we have beat are teams we were not supposed to. That to me says a lot about this team and how far we have come in just one year. We lost to the Cowboys a team that in reality we outplayed until a rookie coaching error and a collapse in the 4th quarter. At Baltimore, we played poorly. That said, even playing poorly we hung with them the whole game. Now, if that type of play continues I will be worried but I am curious how our team responds to this loss. My hope is that they will do what great teams do when they lose a game and that is take out their frustrations on their next few opponents.
It is interesting, perhaps it is due to the fact that we have been so inept for so long that many fans have a hard time seeing anything positive but things are looking up for the Niners. We already have a winning season, will be going to the playoffs, and have a good team that we can be excited about again. It has been a long time but we are back. We are no longer a scheduled win for other teams. My opinion is that we are a good team. I don't know if we are a Superbowl caliber team just yet, how we respond to this loss will give better insight to that IMO. I think that we just had a hiccup which fortunately came at a good time for us to recover, improve, and move on.
Panic cat won't panic even if we're a soft 9-2 and may end up being a s**tty 13-3.

"Yeah!"

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
And the Ravens have lost to the Seahags and the Saints dropping games to the Rams.

There's so much parity in the league today.

Maybe. But aren't the Saints much better right now than they were then? We almost lost to the Seahawks if not for Ted Ginn.

You're looking at this a little one sided. "Shoulda, Coulda" doesn't really matter. We Should have finished off the Cowboys too but, it didn't happen. I think you may be reading into a single loss a little too much.
[ Edited by Lott49ersFan on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM ]
Originally posted by boast:

Montana in '81, '83, '84, and '85

Alex's fault. totally!

2010 4-7

2011 9-2

Am I happy? Oh yes.

FYI, Joe Montana averaged 211 yards per game for his career. The best season of his career was 1989 at 270 yards per game. Alex is at 192 yards per game this year. If Roman can squeeze another 40-50 yards per game average out of the passing game I think we can do some damage this year.
Originally posted by Amir:
Yup. Saints are better than us. They destroyed the Giants while we barely got past them.

Your logic sucks. The Saints lost to Tampa in week 6, and didn't beat them by a whole lot again in week 9. We on the other hand beat the crap out of Tampa... So, based on your logic... Who's better now??

Edit.... The Rams also beat the Saints...
[ Edited by Lott49ersFan on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone