There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are we "a very soft 9 - 2?" The WE DIDN'T PLAY ANYBODY argument.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
That game was far worse than a 10 point loss. If we didn't go 3 and out so much our offense would have spent more time on the field. And if they did would it be 15 sacks? The abuse at the line of scrimmage was unbelievable. We are not ready for the big time IMO based on this team. We are physically overmatched vs. top tier teams.
Do you think our TEAM is over matched against top tier teams? or do you think that our OL is over matched with top tier teams? Because to be completely honest I think the only weakness we really have is our OL. I don't believe we can survive the playoffs IMHO with the way our line plays at times and i think the Ravens exploited this. I made a poll that I know WZ fans didn't want to hear but the other problem we have is scoring TD's in the red zone that needs to be fixed if we expect to beat teams like GB and NO. Because when offenses like GB and NO get into goal line areas their putting up 6.

The O Line is terrible at pass blocking with Chilo for sure. We are poor at come from behind IMO. We have some weaknesses. We are an in control team when ahead due to our defense and running game. But behind we can be beat I would say.

so can anyone

The Packers can be down 40 points and win. We can't.....
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
That game was far worse than a 10 point loss. If we didn't go 3 and out so much our offense would have spent more time on the field. And if they did would it be 15 sacks? The abuse at the line of scrimmage was unbelievable. We are not ready for the big time IMO based on this team. We are physically overmatched vs. top tier teams.
Do you think our TEAM is over matched against top tier teams? or do you think that our OL is over matched with top tier teams? Because to be completely honest I think the only weakness we really have is our OL. I don't believe we can survive the playoffs IMHO with the way our line plays at times and i think the Ravens exploited this. I made a poll that I know WZ fans didn't want to hear but the other problem we have is scoring TD's in the red zone that needs to be fixed if we expect to beat teams like GB and NO. Because when offenses like GB and NO get into goal line areas their putting up 6.

The O Line is terrible at pass blocking with Chilo for sure. We are poor at come from behind IMO. We have some weaknesses. We are an in control team when ahead due to our defense and running game. But behind we can be beat I would say.

so can anyone

Explain the eagles game we shouldn't have won that. I think this team plays with a big heart, is well coached! Is hungry to win, and has enough first round picks we should be at the top of the worst divison in the nfl. Side note i'm not sure any team at this point can beat the packers. Their defense is solid, but they can score at will with rodgers, even in snowy weather.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Explain the eagles game we shouldn't have won that. I think this team plays with a big heart, is well coached! Is hungry to win, and has enough first round picks we should be at the top of the worst divison in the nfl. Side note i'm not sure any team at this point can beat the packers. Their defense is solid, but they can score at will with rodgers, even in snowy weather.
Bad example the Iggles are garbage they lost to the Cards and side from that they are notorious for giving games away in the 4th quarter. I would have used the Bengles as an example, I know they have a rookie Qb but that D is pretty stout, another example would be the Lions I know they haven't played very well since they lost to us but the Lions can put up points and we made a comeback in their house when they were on a hot streak.

That is very close to impossible. The biggest comeback ever was when the Bills overcame a 32-point deficit to win the game against the Oilers. Had the Oilers simply ran the ball after they got the 32 point edge, they would have won, but strangely enough they were still sticking to passing the ball, leaving too much time for the Bills to stage a comeback in overtime. No team will make that mistake again.
Is the Baltimore game a warning from a top tier team or was it a "scheduled loss?" Short week, travel several time zones and play at Baltimore where losing is not an unexpected result. When we lost 1 game to Dallas in overtime I thought we were for real. But this game gives me pause. And here is why looking at the schedule and circumstances.

It's been argued by WZers and media types that we did play somebody. But did we? Wins vs. the Bengals, Eagles, Lions, Bucs and Giants were often pointed to as "good teams" we beat. Are they?

~ Eagles 4 - 7.
~ Bucs 4 - 7.
~ Lions - started 5 - 0 and have been dropping games ever since. Really imploded around the time we played them and after. Ok we can claim this one if we want. They were good when we played them. But they haven't been good lately. So how good are they?
~ Giants - Yup we beat them. But we resorted to onside kick trickery at home and could barely get them off the field after several 4th downs. IMO they are perfectly capable of beating us in a rematch.
~ Bengals - good record but a ROOKIE QB. Albeit a good one.

The Seahawks and Cardinals are a joke. And the Seahawks gave us a good game remember if not for 2 Ted Ginn returns that bailed us out. The Browns and Redskins are simply not good teams.

So look at who beat us.

~ Cowboys - a good team. Beat us passing all over the field. Looked like an unstoppable offense vs. us.
~ Ravens - a great TOP TIER team IMO. Completely abused us. Manhandled us all over the field. If we spent any more time on offense they would have had 15 - 20 sacks. Utter domination at the line of scrimmage. Far worse than the score IMO. A game that gives even the most rabid homer some pause and concern.

If I had to do a power ranking right now I would put it like this.

1) Packers - Would abuse us badly.
2) Saints - If we get behind no way to catch up. And we would get behind vs. them.
3) Patriots - Far superior IMO.
4) Ravens - Any worse abuse than this and you file assault charges...
5) Steelers - Vastly underrated by the WZ and media. This team is for real.

6) 49ers. Just my opinion.

I think the Texans and Bears have too many injury concerns at QB to be considered serious contenders. I'd put the Cowboys and Giants about even with us. Almost right on par. The Cowboys beat us. And we barely beat the Giants with onside kicks and all. IMO they are capable of beating us. I think Atlanta is about on par with us. They are definitely capable of beating us on a given sunday.

So maybe:

7) Dallas
8) New York Giants
9) Atlanta

I don't think those teams are far behind us. Capable of beating us too. One of them did.

I think we played one super elite top tier team and they abused us all over the field. It was far worse than the score in the physical matchup. I'm glad we are better. But I don't think we are as top tier as we think. Our offense is not capable of coming from behind. And if we get down in the playoffs I don't see much come from behind capability to keep the season alive. I'm glad we are better than we used to be. But we may not be ready yet for the big time. I agree with the argument that the Ravens and Steelers are the true test. Even if we split those, win out and go 14 - 2 I would start to believe again. If we lose that, get abused, win in NFC West matchups and go 13 - 3 I'm not sure how good we are?...

Are we talking about the same saints team that was abused by the rams?

We might not be able to comeback from a defecate of that magnitude but most teams cant, i don't believe even GB could but i get your point, on the brighter side of things I don't really believe our defense would allow that to happen, so even when we are down it its not by much which gives our offense a realistic chance to come back. I do agree with you for the most part so i will end it this way if we are behind in games to GB, NO, BAL there is no way we comeback and win, not with the way our OL plays against great defenses.
[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM ]
Bad example the Iggles are garbage they lost to the Cards and side from that they are notorious for giving games away in the 4th quarter. I would have used the Bengles as an example, I know they have a rookie Qb but that D is pretty stout, another example would be the Lion ths I know they haven't played very well since they lost to us but the Lions can put up points and we made a comeback in their house when they were on a hot streak.

This the eagles, and lions are garbage.. and the bengals are mediocre. So we haven't beat anyone who is destined to be a great playoff team YET.

Philly has blown 5 4th quarter leads this year with 4 of them being at home.

Strength of schedule really doesn't matter though when if we end up 14-2 or 13-3 and have a bye followed by a home game. When you look at our losses we lost to Dallas in overtime when we were leading the entire game. Then we lost to Baltimore on the road on a short week. Baltimore matches up well against us. Not very many teams can out punch us. They did.

Are their going to be question marks about us come playoff time of course but that's the case with everyone. Hopefully we get a more favorable matchup that way we don't have go thru Brees and Rodgers in back to back weeks.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
This the eagles, and lions are garbage.. and the bengals are mediocre. So we haven't beat anyone who is destined to be a great playoff team YET.
The Bengles are 8th in points allowed, 5th in total yds allowed, 11th in passing yds allowed and 5th in rushing yds allowed.

The Lions are 4th in points, 9th in total yds, 6th in passing yds and 22nd in rushing.

The Bengals are stout on defense which would make it hard for a team to comeback and the Lions can score a lot of points. Wouldn't call the Bengles mediocre they are well above avg and the Lions I wouldn't say are garbage maybe you can make an argument with their defense but even then would sound a lil crazy, 18th in points allowed, 10th in total yds allowed, 6th in passing yds allowed and 23rd in rushing yds allowed but like i said before the Lions were on a streak of 5 games in a row going into their home with their deadly offense coming back and winning the game.

Please tell me you were being facetious. A 20 pointer isn't good enough for you? I'm not a statistician but when has a team come back from 40 down to win?!?!? For all you people gargling on the Packers nutts and those who worship at the altar of "strenght of schedule" here is a stat for you: The combined W-L record of the teams the Packers have played is currently 52-69. The combined record of the teams the 49ers have played is 59-62. At this point the 49er have not played a team with less than 4 wins; the Packers have played a whopping 4. NE have played 2. NO have played 3 and lost to one of them. The Cowgirls have played two. Where are the strength-of-schedule pontificators for these teams? Using this BCS metric a strong case can be made that the 49ers have played tougher teams to this point than at least the Packers.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Please tell me you were being facetious. A 20 pointer isn't good enough for you? I'm not a statistician but when has a team come back from 40 down to win?!?!? For all you people gargling on the Packers nutts and those who worship at the altar of "strenght of schedule" here is a stat for you: The combined W-L record of the teams the Packers have played is currently 52-69. The combined record of the teams the 49ers have played is 59-62. At this point the 49er have not played a team with less than 4 wins; the Packers have played a whopping 4. NE have played 2. NO have played 3 and lost to on of them. The Cowgirls have played two. Where are the strength-of-schedule pontificators for these teams? Using this BCS metric a strong case can be made that the 49ers have played tougher teams to this point than at least the Packers.
Good point but one could make the argument that the Packers are also blowing those teams out which is what your supposed to do against teams that your supposed to win. Not hanging from their nuts (hate the fudge Packers!) but im also not going to down play them just because they've had it easy this season, they won the super bowl last year for a reason, so they are the team to beat.
[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM ]
Good point but one could make the argument that the Packers are also blowing those teams out which is what your supposed to do against teams that your supposed to win. Not hanging from their nuts (hate the fudge Packers!) but im also not going to down play them just because they've had it easy this season, they won the super bowl last year for a reason, so they are the team to beat.

I'm sorry, but this is why we don't let children into adult conversations. It's OK to downplay the 49erts but not others for the same reasons GB HASN'T WON ANYTHING THIS SEASON!! The point I was making was that GB and many other "top" teams have had it easier than us but we are getting most of the flack.
Maybe. But aren't the Saints much better right now than they were then? We almost lost to the Seahawks if not for Ted Ginn.

One very important thing about the Saints is home advantage. Just the fact you mention the Seahawks should be enough to remind you why - or do you not remember how the Saints season ended last year?

The Ravens game stood out as our most unlikely win of the year from day 1 - we had to travel on a short week - they were playing a second consecutive home game. It was the opposite of how NFL scheduling is meant to work. Playing the Steelers at home is a far fairer test (they'll be coming off 10 days rest) but at least we're at home.

But with the way our division has went, the only real judge of the team will be our home play-off game. Whether it is as 2nd seed or 3rd seed - but I still suspect it will be as 2nd seed - in which case we are likely to be playing the 3rd seed.

You can talk down any game if you want to, but there is no denying we have significant strengths, along with areas of weakness. And we failed big time on offense last week - but despite allowing 9 sacks it was 2 huge penalties that cost us the game. The TD to Ginn, and the interception/pass interference call decided it really - in what was a tight game. (We only managed 170 net yards, but even then our defense only allowed 250.)

There is no convincing some people though, so I'll happily wait to see how things play out.

After all, I didn't expect a winning season.

The same argument about the 49ers can be said about the Packers. The Packers haven't played from behind all season. What proof is there about the Packers that they can come from behind, especially against a playoff caliber team?

The 49ers, however, have a comeback win of 20 points against the Eagles. We've shown we can do it. Just not when our offensive line is in shambles. Get the Packers down two scores, feed Gore the rock, play bend but don't break defense, and the Packers can be beat. Hell, the Packers are a big play team. I doubt they could do much against our red zone defense. They'll need to score from outside the 30 yard line, which is where the 49ers' secondary is susceptible.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
How many teams have come back from a 40 point deficit and won?