LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

I have never seen

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I blame the refs and the NFL for the loss and agree whole heartedly with hue jackson that the NFL is doing it's best to become a rigged game show. I have been excited up to this point because we have won in spite of the obvious shenanigans.
Here is the thing though, I agree probably should not have been thrown, but as I was watching, I saw the block, the throw and the flag going upwards before the camera turned towards or switched to to Ginn, I instantly put my hands to my face and said fu/k. I know the ref is closer and has a different view, but my fiancé was like that is good right? Not a good football fan :). My first words were, it's coming back there was a chop block. Now, when I watch the replay I think it was a borderline or tricky tacky call, but live as it went down I was sh&t and that's how the refs see it as well. I can't see all penalties being challengable but maybe some of the big ones especially pass interference as they can be huge.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
yea, that chop block call was unnecessary.

Just another example of why penalties need to be included under the challenge flag umbrella. Because anyone who watched the play would already see that the RB had already upended the DE before our OL even touched him.[/quo
Ok, maybe but here is the thing though... I was in Detroit with my fiancé for turkey day.... As that play went down isaw the block, the flag,
Just another example of why penalties need to be included under the challenge flag umbrella. Because anyone who watched the play would already see that the RB had already upended the DE before our OL even touched him.

Here is the thing though, I agree probably should not have been thrown, but as I was watching, I saw the block, the throw and the flag going upwards before the camera turned towards or switched to to Ginn, I instantly put my hands to my face and said fu/k. I know the ref is closer and has a different view, but my fiancé was like that is good right? Not a good football fan :). My first words were, it's coming back there was a chop block. Now, when I watch the replay I think it was a borderline or tricky tacky call, but live as it went down I was sh&t and that's how the refs see it as well. I can't see all penalties being challengable but maybe some of the big ones especially pass interference as they can be huge.
Just another example of why penalties need to be included under the challenge flag umbrella. Because anyone who watched the play would already see that the RB had already upended the DE before our OL even touched him.
how about the face mask to Alex by webb and the Suggs sack where he tried to pull Alex's helmet off!
Both times it was right the refs vield of view. Heck the first one you can see the refs back to the camera looking straight at alex from the same point of view as the camera how could he not see it.
People might not want to make excuses, but the refs were a huge determining factor in last night's game. The 2 calls they made on Ginn's TD and Brown's INT was a 10-point swing. In a low scoring game like this, it was the determining factor. They were both very iffy calls IMO. The entire complexion of that game changed with those 2 calls. Not to mention there were at least 2 facemask penalties that went uncalled. Couple that with playing on the road on a short week, and this game has left a sour taste in my mouth. I honestly believe our o-line struggles were mostly due to the short week and brutal travel schedule. I want a rematch against these guys so bad.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
People might not want to make excuses, but the refs were a huge determining factor in last night's game. The 2 calls they made on Ginn's TD and Brown's INT was a 10-point swing. In a low scoring game like this, it was the determining factor. They were both very iffy calls IMO. The entire complexion of that game changed with those 2 calls. Not to mention there were at least 2 facemask penalties that went uncalled. Couple that with playing on the road on a short week, and this game has left a sour taste in my mouth. I honestly believe our o-line struggles were mostly due to the short week and brutal travel schedule. I want a rematch against these guys so bad.

The INT was no question pass interference. The receiver was clearly being held. Now the chop block call was absolute BS, though I suspect the NFL won't be acknowledging it and Mike Pereira will write an article trying to rationalize away how the call was correct.
Originally posted by baltien:
The INT was no question pass interference. The receiver was clearly being held. Now the chop block call was absolute BS, though I suspect the NFL won't be acknowledging it and Mike Pereira will write an article trying to rationalize away how the call was correct.

I agree the INT was pass interference, but I still think it was a touchy call because I've seen a lot worse go uncalled. It's a toss up. One officiating crew calls it an INT, another calls it PI. That's the frustrating thing, there is no consistency. They usually let things slide if the DB plays the ball, and I thought Tarell played the ball. The receiver can use his arm to jocky for position, but who cares, flag on the defender. The chop block was obviously b******t.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I knew the "blame the referees" threads will emerge.

Let's examine the calls:
1) The chop block: Was just a bad combination of factors that happened together. Harbaugh and Gore have already admitted it was the right call.
2) The pass interference was pass interference. Brown clamped down on Smith's arm, and as unfortunate as it was for the team, the ref has to make that call.

As for the facemask calls, these were missed, which happens every game on both sides. As for Suggs, I believed he was offsides on one play for sure. The ball was run away from him, and he was not involved in the play, but it should have been called.

The team lost on both sides of the line of scrimmage, and on the sidelines from the coaches. Bellyaching over the refs is pointless.

If you would bother to read this is not a "blame the refs thread" as started in the original post. Its simply a thread pointing out the fact that the game was very poorly officiated.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I knew the "blame the referees" threads will emerge.

Let's examine the calls:
1) The chop block: Was just a bad combination of factors that happened together. Harbaugh and Gore have already admitted it was the right call.
2) The pass interference was pass interference. Brown clamped down on Smith's arm, and as unfortunate as it was for the team, the ref has to make that call.

As for the facemask calls, these were missed, which happens every game on both sides. As for Suggs, I believed he was offsides on one play for sure. The ball was run away from him, and he was not involved in the play, but it should have been called.

The team lost on both sides of the line of scrimmage, and on the sidelines from the coaches. Bellyaching over the refs is pointless.

If you would bother to read this is not a "blame the refs thread" as started in the original post. Its simply a thread pointing out the fact that the game was very poorly officiated.

I don't remember seeing so many poorly officiated games in one season. Not just the Niners games, but a lot of games around the league.
Originally posted by WINiner:

You can spin this anyway you want to, but when you make these statements, you are stating the calls from the refs were one-sided and a part of the final outcome

The chop block, while technically a correct call, was BS and doesn't get called 1 time in 20. The PI on the interception could have gone either way. I counted at least 3 instances where Suggs was CLEARLY offside (two resulting in sacks) with no call. And a few false starts on the Ravens that weren't called either. (two in a row on their 1st TD drive).Like I said I am not going to blame the refs for the loss (our Oline gets that credit), but they were clearly assisting the Ravens imo

If it is technically correct, it is not BS. It is correct.

The pass interference could have gone either way? That is ridiculous. As a corner, you cant lock a guys arm. The replay, and the announcers clearly showed the infraction.

If the refs are not to blame, then how does, "they were clearly assisting the Ravens" work. This is blame.

You are being intellectually dishonest.

Originally posted by Thrash88:
The chop block was not the right call it was actually horrible.
It reads:
"An offensive player tries to cut block a defensive player that is already being blocked by another offensive player. The second block may need to be below the thigh or knee, depending on the code"
Frank engaged the player before Chilo was ever there, he chopped the defensive player to then AFTER THE FACT have Chilo push the player over him aka perfectly legal. If Chilo was blocking the Raven defender and then Frank came in and chopped him sure thats a penalty, but to call that and cost us a touchdown was seriously HORRIBLE!

Excellent research, Thrash... Thanks for posting this. Hear that, NFL??? Why not start fining some of these officials?

If that Ginn TD stands, it is a completely different game.

Another point....how many fans nationwide like to see a legitimate TD called back because of a dubious penalty. Not many...because all teams have been screwed this way at one time or another and the fans are getting sick of it!!!

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone