There are 204 users in the forums

Couple of thoughts...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am, to an extent. This is not easy preparing for a scaryyy defensive team on a super short week. We won't be seeing a defense like that until the Super Bowl, if they make it. And we pretty much put the clamps on an above average offense.
Originally posted by NinerDieHard:
anyone else notice our front 7 hasn't put near as much pressure on the qb since the what redskins game?

Yes and they rely too heavily on collapsing the LOS to avoid any run plays but you're giving plenty of time for the QB to throw. I'm not sure why they limit Aldon's playtime, I thought he did really good against the Ravens and should be used more often.
You should be. That was complete domination of line play by the ravens. Niners not ready to step up in class. Still, many kudos to Jim H for
resurrecting this team, but they are not ready for prime time as evidenced last evening. A. Smith also not the QB to lead this team. Harbaugh just amazing getting Smith to do anything close to what he had done prior to last evening.
Originally posted by JMC52:
Yes

What he said. I feel depressed and hungover, and I didn't even drink last night.
awful game........agree that this loss was a good wake-up call for the team........what a relentless pass rush the Raven's came with........
We're 9-2. We're going to finish no worse than 12-4 and probably go into the Playoffs as the #2 seed. I just don't understand all the doom and gloom, and I don't even know what to say to the Smith haters.
We're 9-2 and were tied in the 4th versus a REALLY good Ravens team, yes I'm definitely encouraged. Our defense shut down one of the best backs in the league running behind a very good o-line - our defense is no joke. Unfortunately our offensive line looked about as bad as I can remember them ever looking, but Smith played well considering what he had to work with (NO time to read the d and WR's didn't seem to be getting open) and our offensive line was hobbled on a short week versus a very scary Baltimore front. If we played them again under normal circumstances, with or without Ray Lewis, I think we have a great shot at winning.
Originally posted by thedude:
We're 9-2 and were tied in the 4th versus a REALLY good Ravens team, yes I'm definitely encouraged. Our defense shut down one of the best backs in the league running behind a very good o-line - our defense is no joke. Unfortunately our offensive line looked about as bad as I can remember them ever looking, but Smith played well considering what he had to work with (NO time to read the d and WR's didn't seem to be getting open) and our offensive line was hobbled on a short week versus a very scary Baltimore front. If we played them again under normal circumstances, with or without Ray Lewis, I think we have a great shot at winning.

Yes. We still very much had a chance to win that game deep into the 4th quarter. Hell, we could have been leading. That's against a good opponent, on the road, in a playoff atmosphere, on the east coast, on three days rest.

Tired of seeing all of the overreactions. "Team isn't ready for primetime." "Team sucks, Alex sucks." We're going to finish 12-4 or better and get a first-round bye.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Jim Harbagh and his staff have not faced a real good defense like that in their coaching careers. It is a blessing in disguise because now they have faced a team that created tremendous pressure on the offensive line. Harbaugh and hist staff can now spend time and figure out how to create plays when the defense is putting so much pressure on the offensive line.

I agree to a point. They did face a talented front in Detroit and Washington but there are a lot if things that they can learn as far as technique, adjustments, and scheme from the o line getting whipped like they did and Whitner playing really subpar.
This game showed us a few things,
1, We lack depth on offense, players like Rachel, and Norris are awful.
2, We have no legitimate big game wide receivers.
3, Frank Gore can be stopped, by selling out the middle of the field and forcing him to run east west.
4, JH does not believe in the screen pass.
5, When we can't get pressure with our front 4 we don't have a safety or linebacker who can blitz effectily.
6, Lack of rotation at D-line wears players out.
7, Our OLB's can't and must not ever pass cover

Things we need in the off season
Full Back, Guard, Free Safety, OLB, Running back, and even though he played well, we should never stop looking to improve at QB!

Did I miss anything? or am I over reacting?

I think we are a solid young team, with a few weak spots, we are heading in the right derection, and will only get better from here on out, so watch the f**k out NFL the Niners are on the way back!!!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
This game showed us a few things,
1, We lack depth on offense, players like Rachel, and Norris are awful.
2, We have no legitimate big game wide receivers.
3, Frank Gore can be stopped, by selling out the middle of the field and forcing him to run east west.
4, JH does not believe in the screen pass.
5, When we can't get pressure with our front 4 we don't have a safety or linebacker who can blitz effectily.
6, Lack of rotation at D-line wears players out.
7, Our OLB's can't and must not ever pass cover

Things we need in the off season
Full Back, Guard, Free Safety, OLB, Running back, and even though he played well, we should never stop looking to improve at QB!

Did I miss anything? or am I over reacting?

I think we are a solid young team, with a few weak spots, we are heading in the right derection, and will only get better from here on out, so watch the f**k out NFL the Niners are on the way back!!!

This is the one that puzzles me because I think backs like Gore and Hunter would be great in the screen game.
Yes you are overreacting. This game is not a microcosim of the season. All year long we have been rushing 4 and have been solid rushing the passer. We gave up 16 points. JH threw a few screens and they were to WR. The QB needs time to see people get down field and we all know time is something he didn't have time last night. Gore has had success all year at getting to the edge on sweeps and off tackles and turning them up field for good games. What I learned is Whitner lacked technique and got abused on the td drive. And the recent success has masked the lack of depth along the o line.
If we are fortunate to get to the super bowl against them on a neutral field with equal rest and travel we will beat them.
We need to upgrade the WR position in the draft. Early.
Share 49ersWebzone