LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

if we win tomorrow and Green Bay loses, do we jump ahead of them in the standings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Stop smoking that wacky weed and look at the facts. GB is a better team with more weapons. We have the 5th easiest schedule in the NFL. We need to beat the Ravens AND the Steelers to have a shot at sling shotting ahead of GB.

Yes well GB has had the easiest schedule in the NFL just by opponents' winning percentage. You have to remember that when you're 10-0 or 9-1 you are giving your opponents all of those losses. If you look at strength of victory, however, the 49ers have the 3rd best of any winning team (best of any winning NFC team) while the packers are 9th among winning teams (6th of any winning NFC team). That stat is also skewed by having so many wins (Baltimore has the highest SOV because they lose to a lot of the bad teams that would normally lower your SOV), but the 49ers are STILL 3rd overall among winning teams even with the 2nd best record. I guess if you eyeball the schedule the Packers have beaten 3 good teams in the Saints, Bears, and Falcons, and the 49ers have beaten 3 good teams in the Lions, Giants, and Bengals. Still, the packers caught the Bears at a favorable time if you look at how they've been playing recently while the 49ers beat the Lions (albeit on a short week) and Giants at their peak.

Still, the Ravens are the best team we will have played this season, and even better than their record indicates when you consider that they are a far better team against good competition, so we'll see. I do agree that we will probably need to have a better record than the packers to be ahead of them in the power rankings (not just some tie-breaker), but that does not apply to playoff seeding.
[ Edited by Ninersfan4926 on Nov 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM ]
detroit isnt as good as their record, they will get destroyed tomarrow , they are playing over their heads right now.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
yes we do

we will officially be the #1 seed

it goes:
1. head to head
2. confrence record
3. record vs similar teams

similar teams we play are rams, giants, lions and Bucs

we won against giants lions and Bucs we still have to face the rams twice

the packers still have to play the lions twice and the giants

Won't some of the so-called experts still put them ahead of us in the power rankings?

Probably. But then some people fear a return of the Golden Age....
nope green bay will be #1 till 49ERS beats em, and we will beat them, in the NFC Championship Game to be the best you got to beat the best
I don't have faith in Gym Shorts to get the job done. He's a b***h imo.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
I think the Giants will beat GB, but if that doesn't happen and GB also wins tomorrow, I don't think we'll have a chance to tie them, because they'll either go undefeated or only lose a game because they rest their starters after clinching the first seed. And that may not be so bad, because with their passing attack and weak running game, GB may be more beatable on the frozen tundra. Of course, I still want us to have home-field.
[ Edited by vaden on Nov 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
detroit isnt as good as their record, they will get destroyed tomarrow , they are playing over their heads right now.

Most likely. But those inter-division games are always close, they'll be fired up for sure. Last year they lost by only 2 points in the first game, and that was with shaun hill throwing the ball. Then in the second game rodgers went down with a concussion and the lions won. Obviously both teams are way different but I'm just saying it should be close.

The thing about the lions is they play best against teams that don't have much of a run game(GB 21st) because they can just pass rush all day with that huge front 4. They won't really have to worry about starks like they did against hunter/gore.
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
I need Megatron to do big things for my fantasy team. We still won't get respect as being the best team even if the Lions beat them and we win, that's the sad part about it.
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
yes we do

we will officially be the #1 seed

it goes:
1. head to head
2. confrence record
3. record vs similar teams

similar teams we play are rams, giants, lions and Bucs

we won against giants lions and Bucs we still have to face the rams twice

the packers still have to play the lions twice and the giants

Won't some of the so-called experts still put them ahead of us in the power rankings?

Probably. But then some people fear a return of the Golden Age....

True. If there were power rankings in the 80's, the prognosticators would probably never have given those 49ers teams a #1 ranking, except maybe 1989. Dan Marino, Jim McMahon, John Elway, Phil Sims and others were all supposed to be better than Montana according to them. They called the 49ers finesse even though the defense was one of the hardest hitting, led by Ronnie Lott. The 49ers couldn't win in December because they were a warm weather team. They went on and on and were constantly proven to be wrong. Now, after 5 championships, these experts have changed their tune and give credit where credit is due. That is probably why they say that opinions and stats are irrelevant and that the record and winning are all that matters.

Having the #1 seed and playing at Candlestick during the playoffs would likely be a confidence boost for this 49er team, especially for the younger and less experienced players.
@ people worried about the power rankings.

Quick lesson for you:

I will assume the reason people care about the rankings is for validation to themselves and the doubters -- but you're wasting your time. The Packers have had haters all season long and that's with the best QB and a SB. I'm a Boston Bruins fan and after they won the Stanley Cup, NO ONE I knew was giving me props..."they got lucky", "the league wanted them to win", "they're dirty and I would never want to win like that", blah blah blah

Anyone that's a "hater" is simply insecure about their opinion. There are more Niner bashers now than there have been in the last 10 years or so. Hmmmm...I wonder why? The great teams/players will never be shown complete love until they're reflected on in the future.

Enjoy the ride and don't let people rile you up. They hate because they're intimidated.

For the record...

I took the Lions in all my pools. I think they get it done today. There's no statistical calculations that will tell you that but stats go out the window during a very early afternoon Thanksgiving game in Detroit
Oh well. So much for that.
didn't happen, lol
Not gonna happen......... Lions fell apart today..............
Suh ejected and then it was game over. We have two more chances. If we win the rest of our games.
Share 49ersWebzone