LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

Was Manning That Good, or Was Our Defense See-Through

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
manning was that good. Some of those balls were placed perfectly! No defense for a perfect pass.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Manning was on the money! but our CB were completely turned around.
a bit of both

manning made some great plays however our CB didnt ecactly do a great job
Manning's having a great season no doubt but context is important here. Teams rack up passing yards against us because they can't run. So while on paper our pass defense may not look great you have to remember that we're still allowing the fewest points per game in the league. And looking at our remaining schedule, our pass defense should take a big statistical leap.
Manning is good. People have doubted him for years but he is a good QB. He used to be streaky but he seems to have moved past that. I think also we did at times give away our coverage. I think the problem with playing Eli is that it is hard to ruch him from the outside. He's very good at stepping up in the pocket and getting it downfield. THe key is to get hte pressure up the middle and make him roll out. He can't throw on the run to save his life. Problem for us is we have great edge rushers. Also our best coverage LBS are the iddel guys. If you rush them it makes a quick read for Eli. The lesson for me was don't blitz this guy. We haven't blitzed much all year really and I thought we did more of it against NYG than any other team and Eli can take advantage. You might as well play coverage and try to get the ball out of the air.
Any QB who led his team to a SB gets me respect(except Jeff Hostetler). Manning is a solid QB and made some great throws...
Originally posted by VA49er:
Manning is good. People have doubted him for years but he is a good QB. He used to be streaky but he seems to have moved past that. I think also we did at times give away our coverage. I think the problem with playing Eli is that it is hard to ruch him from the outside. He's very good at stepping up in the pocket and getting it downfield. THe key is to get hte pressure up the middle and make him roll out. He can't throw on the run to save his life. Problem for us is we have great edge rushers. Also our best coverage LBS are the iddel guys. If you rush them it makes a quick read for Eli. The lesson for me was don't blitz this guy. We haven't blitzed much all year really and I thought we did more of it against NYG than any other team and Eli can take advantage. You might as well play coverage and try to get the ball out of the air.

Good post and very true. We were not generating consistant pressure with our front four. I noticed the extra blitzing. Hell their last TD was on a blitz by Goldson who was late on the blitz. Whenever we forced Eli to throw on the run he pretty much threw it in to the turf.
Eli Manning is very good. Eli has improved to where he is an elite quarterback as far as accuracy goes but his decision-making is still suspect at times but please remember our defense only gave up 20 points. I disagree with people saying that we have problems in our secondary because the guys communicate very well but sometimes the defensive call is inappropiate. I mean having Goldson come on a deep safety blitz in that situation was a bad call because Eli had enough time to make a perfect throw. Unless you're Revis or Deion Sanders playing cornerback you're going to get beat. We only give up 15 points per game. The Bengals scored 17 on the Steelers but only 8 against us and our offense was attrocious that game so I don't think Brown is a weakness.
Manning had pin point passes to the opposite side of the defender. He read the field, pick the receiver to throw to, then threw away from the defender. I must have said 3 times while watching the game, "you can't defend that."
300 yards isn't what it used to be to hold a an like Eli to just over 300 is an accomplishment. Not torching 2td to 2int that is a great day for our secondary. There is a reason people are saying Eli is an elite qb and someone as good as he is will not be so easily shutdown. These numbers ashowed no we did not shut down their passin game but we did stop the run and keep the pass in check. I think this is a win for our defense as much as it was for Alex. Our secondary may not be great but they are more than just food enough. They are making plays. Also I thought culliver standing in the endzone watching a ball that was within his reach just drop into the receivers hands was the biggest bone head play. Brown got beat bt at least he was putting in the effort. Did anyone else see that play?

Originally posted by ktate14:
Any QB who led his team to a SB gets me respect(except Jeff Hostetler). Manning is a solid QB and made some great throws...

Kerry Collins? Dilfer too? How about Stan Humphries (I know this is an out of the blue name drop, but there are ppl in their mid-20's who remember )?
Yes Eli is that good, (He does have talent) and our defense is what it is. It makes big plays but will give plays.... But on the coin side, when a team gets in the red zone we are one of the top teams in the red zone. I do believe that Our Defense will get better and better as time goes on and players get stronger, wiser and additions are made. We are on the right track and the muster of Glory is in the air. Red and Gold baby.

P.S. Im not saying that Eli is the best QB in the NFl, but the guy does have talent and can win games, so I do expect to see him make plays especially the division he plays in year in year out. Plus he's a Manning, he does have good up bringing in football. Lucky b*****d... I mean... Good for you Eli.
Allot of those throws were impossible to defend from the secondary, which is why the D started sending more pressure to try and limit the time he had to throw, or get him off balance to deter the accuracy. Manning is showing the touch and accuracy that he played with at Ole Miss, the game has finally slowed down for him and he is taking advantage of it.

As for the secondary... it just solidifies what we already know. Tarell Brown will give up one or two big plays a game but is solid but undersized outside of those errors (which arent always his fault since our safeties arent fast enough to get over the top). And Culliver is a rookie who is still learning the pro game. This draft seems to be stocked with good talent at the CB position which is nice for the future.
[ Edited by 5280High on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Allot of those throws were impossible to defend from the secondary, which is why the D started sending more pressure to try and limit the time he had to throw, or get him off balance to deter the accuracy. Manning is showing the touch and accuracy that he played with at Ole Miss, the game has finally slowed down for him and he is taking advantage of it.

As for the secondary... it just solidifies what we already know. Tarell Brown will give up one or two big plays a game but is solid but undersized outside of those errors (which arent always his fault since our safeties arent fast enough to get over the top). And Culliver is a rookie who is still learning the pro game. This draft seems to be stocked with good talent at the CB position which is nice for the future.
Actually the TD pass really isn't brown's fault late in the game. Goldson blitzes and Brown has no help over the top. His help is supposed to be Smith. But Manning picks it up, the blitz is late, the throw is "early" and Smith can't rollover in time. It's a VERY VERY GOOD read and throw. A lesser QB probably reads it late and probably Smith get's there. Or if we execute better, Goldson is supposed to be bait. Maybe he is supposed to come quicker or even later if Eli doesn't read him early. The other possibility, I think the most likely is that Smith was supposed to get over the top on that play. His distance was wrong, he probably was supposed to shift late and hustle his tail off and maybe get a pick because you are creating the illusion of single coverage. Eli was just better than the scheme on that one in my opnion.
I noticed on the two TD passes there was good coverage from our CB's ....and those two TD tosses were probably the best two throws Eli has made all season, which shows our defense wont give up easy TD's,
Share 49ersWebzone