LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Was Manning That Good, or Was Our Defense See-Through

Shop Find 49ers gear online
there were mistakes that were made, as all teams do, but some of the throws eli put out there were basically indefensible. so we can play better but we are talking about a matter of inches on some of these plays. we aren't talking about guys wide open with no one around them. nearly every big play the giants had was contested by a nearby corner/safety/LB.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oct9085:

hey f**k off
Interesting observation Tony -- this is exactly what coaches try to uncover by assigning some self-scounting duties to some of the staff. With JH I would expect them to catch this and coach up a correction. With Sing and Nolan -- there would be no change! LOL.

But to your point, it has always puzzled me why NFL teams limit their coaching staffs. I know, I know, you can't have too many people giving input. But with millions of dollars being spent and on the line, you would think that NFL teams would employ a dedicated "red team" offensive and defensive coach. Their sole job would be to scout your tendencies and strategize how the next opponent would try to exploit them.

No matter how competent you are as a coaching staff, it is very difficult to consistently and objectively self-scout and put yourself in another team's perspective to exploit you. I believe an independent staff, not responsible for coaching players and "blue team" game planning, could help tremendously. I would task the red team staff to submit no more than a 1 hour report each week to the HC - OC - and DC.
he had some nice really clutch passes and perfectly thrown
Rewatch the first half, we couldn't get pressure and he passed hi way down the field on us and controlled the clock. As soon as we starting getting close to him he started making mistakes, but he made some amazing throws, and does have a very good O-Line
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by oct9085:

hey f**k off
this
Eli was very very frustrated in this game, watch it a few times. So was their sidelines and HEAD COACH. The 49ers DeFense is that good. Just need to make a few adjusts on the D-Backs.
Can someone post a pic of him on the sideline when the sun is glaring on him and he looks like a bonehead with his mullet, I know you guys know what I'm talking about, they kept showing the shot
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
It never jumped out at me before, so I would say if they did this it was not as much. Alot of QBs have trouble even getting the play off before the clock expires so it is not an issue. But if we dont get this fixed before we play Rodgers, Brees or Romo again we will have alot of trouble.

Thanks for the good eye and the informative response. I'll certainly keep an eye out for what you mentioned. It's stuff like this that makes a much better team play down: I'll be watching the Card's O-line, in earnest.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Nov 16, 2011 at 12:57 AM ]
Wow...I'm shocked to see the hate for Tarell Brown...I thought he was fantastic in man coverage against the Giants. Nicks just made a great catch on a great throw. Other than that Brown forced Manning to look Rogers way a lot more than usual. He had a very good game in man coverage.

Remember...the measure isnt the INT's, its the % of balls completed that are thrown your way...Brown has been good all season at that. And truth be told...after the epically bad corners we have had here...a guy like T Brown, who has developed, is refreshing

Originally posted by reasonable1:
Wow...I'm shocked to see the hate for Tarell Brown...I thought he was fantastic in man coverage against the Giants. Nicks just made a great catch on a great throw. Other than that Brown forced Manning to look Rogers way a lot more than usual. He had a very good game in man coverage.

Remember...the measure isnt the INT's, its the % of balls completed that are thrown your way...Brown has been good all season at that. And truth be told...after the epically bad corners we have had here...a guy like T Brown, who has developed, is refreshing

Ummm...are you sure? from what I watched he got torched all game long, and that's not the only game either.

That being said, I've always been a fan of Brown's since we drafted him, I just think we need someone more physical than him on the outside. Teams pick on him and everyone can see it, and he does get burned pretty bad.
Actually if you want to comb through it...Rogers and Culliver were picked on the most. Brown gave up a few catches but besides Nicks, nothing was of significance. His illegal contact call was great...because he got caught being physical downfield...not just resorting to being pushed around by bigger receivers. No team is going to have a stable of lockdown corners...and trust me you can do a WHOLE LOT worse than Tarell Brown. Who does his best in cover 2 and man coverage responsibilities.

Like I said before, after some of the worst CB's in the history of football that have come through here...a guy like Brown is refreshing. Not a star...but a solid player who sticks his nose in the play every chance he gets.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
This isn't new.

The Niners have given up passing yardage to good QBs all year (Romo, Vick, Manning, Stafford).

The thing they do really well tho is bend but don't break. They allow teams to move between the 20's but then lock down in the red zone.

The reason we don't don't break is that there is less field to cover and the secondary can tighten up, thus making the QB think twice about treading the needle. This in turn helps the line pressure the QB into making a bad decision or two. This is where a good run game would help the opponents, but niners are built to stop the run.
Quote:
WildBill
Veteran

Originally posted by Marvin49:
This isn't new.

The Niners have given up passing yardage to good QBs all year (Romo, Vick, Manning, Stafford).

The thing they do really well tho is bend but don't break. They allow teams to move between the 20's but then lock down in the red zone.

The reason we don't don't break is that there is less field to cover and the secondary can tighten up, thus making the QB think twice about treading the needle. This in turn helps the line pressure the QB into making a bad decision or two. This is where a good run game would help the opponents, but niners are built to stop the run.

And that is why this team is built for playoff football...among others...but that is possibly the most important.
The 49ers got pressure on Manning but lost containment many times, he would then scramble and gain yards on foot or by passing. In the previous games the niners managed to be discipline and keep containment. Still, Manning took advantage that shows he is a good qb. Rodgers is way better so we will need to better. A lot of zoners think it we can easily stop him and that they don't have the defense, but there defense similar to ours, they make big plays, may not be as good against the run, but good enough.

As for the catch that could have tied the game. Look at it again, although it touches the wr fingertips, that does not make it a catchable ball. Not saying it can't be done, but it would have been an extraordinary catch. Even on the replay, the announcers said it was just slightly overthrown. A catchable ball would have landed in the wr's palms. As I like to say, football is a game of inches.
Share 49ersWebzone