There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Jim Harbaugh the best coach in the NFL?

So far, our coaching staff has outcoached nearly every other opponent. I think, with Dallas, we'd beat them now that the team has finally had their time together, and had time to install their playbook, and gotten some confidence.

But as for Harbaugh... definitely, that's the Coach of the Year.

I wonder though if it's just a case of teams being unfamiliar with our team's tendencies. I mean... I'm sure the Bucs had NO idea on defense that they were going to line up and see 5 offensive linemen, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Bruce Miller, Isaac Sopoaga, and an extra offensive lineman in Chilo Rachal or Alex Boone. There's some ideas and concepts the 49ers are using that the league has probably never seen before. We're probably going to have that element of surprise for a few more weeks because this is only the first game we've come out passing. Cat's starting to come out of the bag.

But by the end of the season, teams will have figured out our tendencies, and the REAL test to see Harbaugh's coaching prowess will come. I think he'll rise to the occasion too.
At this point yes. Hes def at the top for coach of the year.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
So far, our coaching staff has outcoached nearly every other opponent. I think, with Dallas, we'd beat them now that the team has finally had their time together, and had time to install their playbook, and gotten some confidence.

But as for Harbaugh... definitely, that's the Coach of the Year.

I wonder though if it's just a case of teams being unfamiliar with our team's tendencies. I mean... I'm sure the Bucs had NO idea on defense that they were going to line up and see 5 offensive linemen, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Bruce Miller, Isaac Sopoaga, and an extra offensive lineman in Chilo Rachal or Alex Boone. There's some ideas and concepts the 49ers are using that the league has probably never seen before. We're probably going to have that element of surprise for a few more weeks because this is only the first game we've come out passing. Cat's starting to come out of the bag.

But by the end of the season, teams will have figured out our tendencies, and the REAL test to see Harbaugh's coaching prowess will come. I think he'll rise to the occasion too.

Excellent point, but IMO - even if the opposing teams know our tendencies, it's almost impossible to keep up with them. We're throwing out so much stuff at them, that 1 week preparation is not enough. The hard part for Harbaugh is going to come when other teams will have the whole off-season to prepare and install similar elements in their offense and defense. He will have to prove over time that he can execute his playbook better than anyone else.

Many teams adopted Bill Walsh's offense, but no one did it better than Walsh - which is why he is one of the greatest coaches of all time. He had a system, and he ran that system better than anyone else.
Originally posted by SoTx9R:

Coach of the year doesn't mean best coach in the NFL. Two different things.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by SoTx9R:

Coach of the year doesn't mean best coach in the NFL. Two different things.

I never said it meant the same thing. I just added that he should be.
No, he is not the best coach in the league. There are guys named Belichek,Tomlin, Coughlin, and Sean Peyton that have to be in the mix before you get to Harbaugh. Harbaugh has won 8 games as a head coach. Those guys I mentioned have won championships!!!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngb:
What's your deal?

Shut up and Take it like a man. You Wuss!!
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
You don't become the best after 9 games. You have to be among the top for a few years to get there and then the hardest thing is to, stay there. Only then you can be in the conversation as the best coach in the National Football League.

This.
i agree with the fact that it has only been nine games and it may take a few years to be considered the best in the league. however you also have to take into account the years of mediocrity with virtually the same personnel (obviously a few different BIG pieces this year) but he has done an amazing job. it makes you wonder if we were just bad the years prior or if it was STRICTLY coaching.
First, Harbaugh is a bit of a nut! His intensity level and abrasiveness reminds me of a hyper Walsh...which I love but other coaches and media people won't. Fans from other teams see the brashness and are put off, so they are "offended by 9ers success"...too bad!

Have you noticed other teams using some of Harbaugh's tactics? Yesterday I saw more big guys being brought in on offense and I predict that movement will also become more popular. Harbaugh did not invent these things but he is re-popularizing them. Extra OLinemen, three TEs, DLmen in the backfield and catching balls, on and on. What a great day for the 9ers!

Is he the best coach in the NFL? I would put him on a level with the best but Belichik is a darn good coach. Can't think of another I would put with those two.

Edit: One of my criteria to be considered a great coach is being able to attract great assistants and Harbaugh has done that.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:44 AM ]
He is right there with Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, and bellicheat. Pretty good company.

Or to put it another way, is there any other coach out there YOU would rather have? Didn't think so.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:03 AM ]
He is right now.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes he is. I told you so a long time ago. Believe the awesomeness...

all youve been doing since youve been here is complain and criticize everything about this team.

dont try and take credit for something a million bay area football fans were clamoring for long before he got hired.

I always like Harbaugh and said he was the right hire and the best possible hire from the beginning.

I have no heard SanDiego say anything bad in a long time. He's been one of the most positive fans on here for a while.
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
It's not just his competitiveness. He's been out-coaching every opponent. It's the whole supporting coaching cast that's doing such a good job.
Not the best in the league. He needs to make some postseason splashes first. He's a Damn great coach but what seperates him from the others is his coaching staff. He has surrounded himself with football coaches, not just people with names. Every coach on this team has a say