There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The bar has been raised

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I predicted 8-8.

Pretty crazy to think..just ONE more win and we will have broken 9 years of futility and losing. One more win after that will be our first double digit winning season since 2002.

I see us going at least 13-3.

I think we'll split PIT and BAL putting us at 14-2.

If you were to make 2 predictions prior to the season and one was based on Harbaugh being the "real deal", I'm sure we would have looked at our schedule and said 10 to 11 wins.

However, since we didn't believe in ANY coach until it happened due to our s**tty prior coaching, we said anywhere from 6 to 9 or 10 wins.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I predicted 8-8.

Pretty crazy to think..just ONE more win and we will have broken 9 years of futility and losing. One more win after that will be our first double digit winning season since 2002.

I see us going at least 13-3.

I think we'll split PIT and BAL putting us at 14-2.

If you were to make 2 predictions prior to the season and one was based on Harbaugh being the "real deal", I'm sure we would have looked at our schedule and said 10 to 11 wins.

However, since we didn't believe in ANY coach until it happened due to our s**tty prior coaching, we said anywhere from 6 to 9 or 10 wins.

Yeah true.

Honestly my thoughts prior to the season were: just learn the system, go 8-8, have Alex ride it out so Kaep can learn, and build a solid culture and foundation for 2012. And what's worse is that would have been "good."

It's nice to finally EXPECT wins and EXPECT good play from all of our players and EXPECT stellar coaching. Thank you Harbaugh for bringing a WINNING MENTALITY back to the team and FANS alike.
First thing first, win the division which is a given, but still...then next goal is win homefield advantage for the playoffs. When that is done I'll look at the playoff games at hand. A lot of things can happen between now and the playoffs. The niners would be foolish to look to far ahead. That is how many teams fall. We started fast and we need to finish hot, GB started slow last year because of injuries, but when they started to get their players back they heated up and won the SB.

The same can be said of past 49er SB's, the exception being the year the niners went 15-1 in the reg season.
Raising the bar is fine, as long as it is incremental. At least that is the way I think Harbaugh is handling it.

What are his two most used cliches so far?

1) We need to get one mile an hour faster today than we were yesterday........

2) We move forward with humble hearts. (Translation - DON'T be overconfident)

No matter what happens, this season and this team has been a success in my book. If they go all the way, I will be ecstatic. If they don't, I will still be happy with what the Niners have become.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i'd have no problem losing to the packers in the nfc championship game to be honest. this team has exceeded expectations beyond belief.

Don't settle. This team can compete with anybody, and that includes the Packers. An icy game at Lambeau might just be to our advantage. As long as they keep taking one game at a time (which clearly we fans are not), we've got a legitimate shot at winning the whole damn thing. I firmly believe that there's no team in the league the Niners can't beat.

I remember a time when 49ers expected to win Superbowls. Dear god bring them back.
I am so bad at predicting, esp during last 8 yrs, I did not predict a W/L record, but really liked our coach, both in college and coming here. My big question mark was the OL and Stanford under Harbaugh had a great one. I expected and predicted 8-10 games to get our OL in shape. Once there, I thot we could win most of last games, so somewhere between 4 or 6 games, and with luck maybe 8 Ws overall. With no OL I knew we couldn't win. After the Saints, then the Texans, my guess was affirmed. It was going to take 8-10 games to get the OL in shape. The first couple wins, well, I was suprised at how well the Ol played. It was obvious that neither noln nor BM had any idea about what to do with an OL so I figured half a season to build it. What I never figured tho, was the departure of baas and heitmann, 2 really mediocre to bad OL guys nor did i know about Goodwin (stellar acquisition), and the sudden coached up Snyder. Staley was already a good OL , and Iupati pretty well coached also coming out of college. What i didn't realize was that JH could coach up AD, make iupati better, and bring them all together as a group. Benching rachal was part of that. So JH knew which 5 guys could work together best, and all 5 improved merely by the guy on either side of them getting better. That was part A

Part B was coaching around weaknesses, something he tried with rachal, and it didn't work. He does best in relief appearances. The other thing JH did was coach each and every one of those guys how to exactly play the position as JH wanted it, from footwork to hands to overall technique.

Part C, was playcalling, running behind strength, and always with emphasis on protecting alex. How he succeeded in such a short period of time was a phenomenal accomplishment. Acquisition of the right players, teaching them how to play their position, and then calling O plays that the OL could perform perfectly was the summary of how he got the OL going, and after that, everything else fell in place. Obviously he liked alex's moxie, and knew the kid wanted to play...really play...and win. OL was key to that.

The remainder was vastly improving a great run D by adding Carlos and Culliver, with Whitner. Bowman was allowed to break out, p52 is just an all pro lock and our front 7 is as tough ----maybe tougher than any in the league. Stats sure say so. But JH's concentration on the small things, the ST in particular, were just as amazing. We already had a spectacular punter, who got better, and jh added ginn, then Akers, about 30 mins after he was released. Somebody, eg, JH and Baalke know talent, because our ST play is best in league, our D is right up top and our O is playing within itself , always good enough to win.

The change over of Goodwin for Heitmann, snyder for baas, Iupati, AD, staley, was the heart of all this. Carlos , Culliver and whitner added to it and the ST was fantastic. Now who in the heck could ever have predicted all that, let alone half of it.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
This season is already an incredible success.

That said, its time to go for broke. this is a Champion-caliber team right now. Super Bowl or bust!

I wanna take my pants down.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I wanna take my pants down.

Don't forget the tissues.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
One game at a time.

Also, this threads proves the point once again how totally misguided the Alex Smith critics proved to be. Anyone with a football IQ saw what our problems really were and they weren't Alex Smith. He, like our former crappy defense, oline, dline, etc, was a symptom of the problem, but not the actual problem itself.

That's where the biggest beef was between the Anti-Alex Metro's and the Smith "supporters." The so-called "supporters" simply refused to give in to irrational emotional assesments based simply on their inability to see the big picture. This is the year of the "big picture" evaluators. We have been redeemed.

Even Maddog understood this. He was wrong on other things though, primarily in his evaluation of our front office/coaching staff's ability and the caliber of players we drafted and acquired via free agency.

Funny how some posters just cant get off the Alex Smith thing. This thread had nothing to do with him but some people are just obsessed.
Trying to save some face now aren't you? Lol. Pathetic.

Also, your reading comprehension needs a little work. The subject wasn't Smith, it was the Anti-Smith Metro's who were so completely wrong about the team that they all went into hiding, with a few exceptions like yourself.

There's nothing wrong with being wrong, but you guys were so over the top with insults against the rational and educated fans that of course we are going to gloat. Just like the Metro's gloated everytime the team lost and they unfairly blamed Alex Smith.

I also think that an apology from the Metro's is in order if you ask me. I endured alot of name calling for not willing to be an irrational fool.

Also, your reading comprehension needs a little work. The subject wasn't Smith, it was the Anti-Smith Metro's who were so completely wrong about the team that they all went into hiding, with a few exceptions like yourself.

There's nothing wrong with being wrong, but you guys were so over the top with insults against the rational and educated fans that of course we are going to gloat. Just like the Metro's gloated everytime the team lost and they unfairly blamed Alex Smith.

I also think that an apology from the Metro's is in order if you ask me. I endured alot of name calling for not willing to be an irrational fool.

Some people control their emotions and some are controlled by them. Level heads usually prevail.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
One game at a time.

Also, this threads proves the point once again how totally misguided the Alex Smith critics proved to be. Anyone with a football IQ saw what our problems really were and they weren't Alex Smith. He, like our former crappy defense, oline, dline, etc, was a symptom of the problem, but not the actual problem itself.

That's where the biggest beef was between the Anti-Alex Metro's and the Smith "supporters." The so-called "supporters" simply refused to give in to irrational emotional assesments based simply on their inability to see the big picture. This is the year of the "big picture" evaluators. We have been redeemed.

Even Maddog understood this. He was wrong on other things though, primarily in his evaluation of our front office/coaching staff's ability and the caliber of players we drafted and acquired via free agency.

Funny how some posters just cant get off the Alex Smith thing. This thread had nothing to do with him but some people are just obsessed.

Alex fans were also bashing the O-line, WR, front office and defense for our team's woes.

So if you want an apology for bashing Alex then the Alex supporters need to apologize for putting blame on the Oline, WR and defense.

The poor coahcing obviously effected them as well.

First of all whats a " Metro" ?
imo we won't win the sb this year not enough experiance
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I thought we were going to win anywhere from 7 to 10 games. I thought Alex Smith was going to be a game manager with an 85 QB rating or so. I thought our defense was going to be good, but I didn't think we'd be this good. I thought Gore was going to be good, but I didn't foresee him having 5 straight 100 yard games.

The team, so far, has vastly exceeded my expectations. There's a good chance that we can finish with 13+ wins, and it wouldn't be crazy to say they can run the table. The Ravens have underperformed lately, and the Steelers will be the last true test for us.

One game at a time though...

agreed 100%