LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

How Long Should an Extension/New Contract for Alex Smith Be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How Long Should an Extension/New Contract for Alex Smith Be?

So I think we can all agree that Alex Smith has earned the right to stay with the team beyond this year. If you were Baalke, how big of an extension/re-sign would you give him? Personally, I think a 3-year contract with a $6m/yr base and a ton of incentives that pays him like a Pro Bowl QB if he plays like a pro-bowl QB. That will take him through his 30th Birthday and Kaepernick's final season under contract. At that point, we will know if Smith will be a career 49er or not. If he is going into the '14 season and Kaepernick is developing, we trade Kaep for a 1st rounder and give Smith a contract commensurate with a 30-year old fringe pro bowler.

Thoughts?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
5 years.

Alex should not accept anything less. He will get offers of 5 years or more from other suitors this offseason, should he explore free agency.

Alex is the franchise.
barry zito-type contract
Originally posted by okdkid:
5 years.

Alex should not accept anything less. He will get offers of 5 years or more from other suitors this offseason, should he explore free agency.

Alex is the franchise.

Yeah, I expect at least 3 years on the contract, 5 would be optimal. Put Kaep in the wildcat!
More than 3 would surprise me
  • fryet
  • Veteran
If Alex continues to play decent, I think he has earned a 3 year contract. I think he will earn a 4+ if he wins a playoff game.
Originally posted by toeknee:
More than 3 would surprise me

this
Re-sign him for 5....draft Nick Montana in 2014...trade for/FA sign Luck in 2015 (after he "Sucks for Harbaugh" his first 3 yrs)...
2 years
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Zero incentive for Smith to take a short contract. Teams will be throwing big money and years at him.

We're gonna have to pony up big time if we get a first round bye and win at least 1 playoff game.

At least 4 years and average of top 10 qb money sounds about right.

Alex will have plenty of offers but he and his wife will want to stay so we have that going for us.

Could not be happier that Jim took Alex under his wing and turned him around like this. Its super big for our team and is 1 less position that we have to fill in next years draft. Team can now fine tune the roster and continure to rip it up in the years to come.
10 years 100 million
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
barry zito-type contract

Heck No, Alex Rodriguez type deal, 10yr/$250M.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
4 years 35 million with a 18 million s/b
Originally posted by okdkid:
Zero incentive for Smith to take a short contract. Teams will be throwing big money and years at him.

why would he want to go to a new team? I mean he's got to be loving JH and GR. why would he up and leave to play for ANOTHER HC and OC?
i say 3 years is fair.
Share 49ersWebzone