LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 308 users in the forums

The Next 8 Games Will Separate the Band Wagononers from Us Loyal S.O.B.s

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As a Niners fan since the late 70's, I personally have had the opportunity to witness greatness! I have also had the misfortune of witnessing defeat and heartbreak. In an age where everyone has an opinion and can easily share that opion with millions of others, it has been challenging to be a 49er fan over the last decade to say the least. After decades of domination, many fans and media have felt no sympathy for our erroding franchise and laughing stock of a team. While many pundits and media personell have found it "trendy" and "outside the norm"to endorse the 49ers over the past few seasons, I dont think any of them down deep feel our team is on the level of the big boys (Packers, Saints, Steelers...).

Hell as a fan over the last decade, I dont know if I firmly believe this year's team is as good as any out there. But as a true fan, that has never mattered to me. I have always rooted for, sported gear of and loudly protested for my 49ers no matter how bad we were playing at the time (excluding Chris Weinke's start). But make no mistake about it this season has been magical so far...through the toughest part of our schedule we not only competed, but often dominated. You cant watch NFL Network or ESPN or pick up any NFL related material that doesnt want to talk about what we are doing out here in the West. In fact they are running out of stuff to write about. The storyline about Harbaugh being responsible for the transformation has been beaten to death. The story lines are slightly turning from positive and refreshing, to synical and predictive of failure. These pundits thought we would beat up our division, but to win against the heavy hitters...come on.

And so to finally get to my point....the next 8 games will no doubtedly be much different than the first 8. Like it or not the 49ers now have a target on their backs from other teams, other fans and the media. The same pundits who thought it was trendy to pick the Niners as a contender in the NFC will quickly dismiss us should we...lets say lose to the Giants this weekend. A few interceptions by Alex and the world will no doubt be crashing in for our young team. While I would love to see the 49ers win every game from here on out, I know its highly unlikely. Some times a loss can strengthen a team and feed a need to get better that may have been dying down.

This board alone can be a place of negativity and hate after a Niner loss, for the Noobs go back and look at articles written after the Dallas loss for confirmation. Which to me has always been fine. It allows you to more clearly see through the BS and spot your fellow loyal fans and those who just want to hop on board. If we lose to the Giants and lose a game or two to the likes of the NFC West, I will be steadfast in my belief that this team has and is getting better. Though many will want to talk about, "here we go again" and "told you so". I am definitely not saying this team is void of criticisim or in need of improvements, but the bottom line is this. We are now relevant in the NFL, we are fun to watch again and we are building a solid foundation. To those on this board who love to wait for failure and are currently towing the line, get on board now or stay the hell off!!!
[ Edited by TonyMantana on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM ]
Probably. Anyway GO NINERS.
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
As a Niners fan since the late 70's, I personally have had the opportunity to witness greatness! I have also had the misfortune of witnessing defeat and heartbreak. In an age where everyone has an opinion and can easily share that opion with millions of others, it has been challenging to be a 49er fan over the last decade to say the least. After decades of domination, many fans and media have felt no sympathy for our erroding franchise and laughing stock of a team. While many pundits and media personell have found it "trendy" and "outside the norm"to endorse the 49ers over the past few seasons, I dont think any of them down deep feel our team is on the level of the big boys (Packers, Saints, Steelers...).

Hell as a fan over the last decade, I dont know if I firmly believe this year's team is as good as any out there. But as a true fan, that has never mattered to me. I have always rooted for, sported gear of and loudly protested for my 49ers no matter how bad we were playing at the time (excluding Chris Weinke's start). But make no mistake about it this season has been magical so far...through the toughest part of our schedule we not only competed, but often dominated. You cant watch NFL Network or ESPN or pick up any NFL related material that doesnt want to talk about what we are doing out here in the West. In fact they are running out of stuff to write about. The storyline about Harbaugh being responsible for the transformation has been beaten to death. The story lines are slightly turning from positive and refreshing, to synical and predictive of failure. These pundits thought we would beat up our division, but to win against the heavy hitters...come on.

And so to finally get to my point....the next 8 games will no doubtedly be much different than the first 8. Like it or not the 49ers now have a target on their backs from other teams, other fans and the media. The same pundits who thought it was trendy to pick the Niners as a contender in the NFC will quickly dismiss us should we...lets say lose to the Giants this weekend. A few interceptions by Alex and the world will no doubt be crashing in for our young team. While I would love to see the 49ers win every game from here on out, I know its highly unlikely. Some times a loss can strengthen a team and feed a need to get better that may have been dying down.

This board alone can be a place of negativity and hate after a Niner loss, for the Noobs go back and look at articles written after the Dallas loss for confirmation. Which to me has always been fine. It allows you to more clearly see through the BS and spot your fellow loyal fans and those who just want to hop on board. If we lose to the Giants and lose a game or two to the likes of the NFC West, I will be steadfast in my belief that this team has and is getting better. Though many will want to talk about, "here we go again" and "told you so". I am definitely not saying this team is void of criticisim or in need of improvements, but the bottom line is this. We are now relevant in the NFL, we are fun to watch again and we are building a solid foundation. To those on this board who love to wait for failure and are currently towing the line, get on board now or stay the hell off!!!
lol Chris Weinke
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Too many words. Eyes glazing over. Feeling sleepy now.

I was thinking of the same thing about all the bandwagon fans. I was listenting to knbr and they had Brian Jennings on and they brought up the game when we beat the giants in 02, he was on that team!!!!! I couldn't beleive that Jennings has endured all theese horrible teams since 02. we both endured a lot of losing!
i'm a loyal bandwagoner
Waytomanywords
I'm just happy the 49ers are good enough to even have an actual bandwagon! Unbelievable!
DYNAMITE!! Niners forever. Great post.

I've been a Niner fan since December 1976 and have also seen terrible and great Niner teams. I reach for the barf-bag at the mention of Stinky Weinke and Jim Suckenmiller.

But like that great song, "The Times, They are a Changin'," this is an uplifting season and we have turned the corner from the dark days of Erickson, Dumbahue, Nowin, McDrunk, Sing and Raye. It's the start of a new dynasty. One loss and the scumabg Forty-Whiners will come out of the woodwork to tell us it's "all over." They'll blame Alex, Baalke, JH and just about everone else. If we lose to the Giants; life will go on and we will get better from it. We got MUCH better after the Dallas game.

I think we'll give the Giants a giant beating this weekend. By the time the playoffs roll around we will be MUCH better tha we are right now.
I will love this team until the day I die, win or lose.

Originally posted by jreff22:
I will love this team until the day I die, win or lose.

The fact that most of us Webzoners have been here for YEARS shows dedication to this team. We know who those folks are and I don't think pointing fingers are needed.

Just damn glad we are relevent once more and hopefully, to the years that will follow.

Not sure of the relevance. Who cares if fans jump ship or stay onboard until it sinks?
Not if everything goes well.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not sure of the relevance. Who cares if fans jump ship or stay onboard until it sinks?

Relevence as in talking about the playoffs and actually getting there... without a losing record.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Like the ladies tell me " thats way too long"
Share 49ersWebzone