There are 245 users in the forums

Week 9: Thoughts after re-watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One thing I will add.... Ok, so last week Brooks didn't have any offsides for the 1st time in what seems like seasons. Now, this game he reverts to his old self and then stands there after being offsides. Goose mentioned it as well... I have been saying it for a few seasons now... a coach needs to tell him to not stop... if you can't get back and know you will be offsides then just go after the QB. They will blow the play dead if you get close enough to the QB. By stopping you are allowing them a free play with 5 yards guaranteed while having one less pass rusher. Dumb, dumb, dumb... you would think one of our great staff would see this. Guess we get the good with the bad with him... he got cut and signed a few times with us early on... was an ILB... was too heavy but he has turned out well. Just needs to cut that out and be smarter.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
......Just noticed something else.....

Gore: 782 yards
Hunter: 217 yards

Thats 999 yards.....at MIDseason.

Once again, another good write up! I enjoy reading them every week.
I thought the reason the refs inadvertantly delayed us getting to the line in the 1st quarter was because they were trying to announce additional eligible receivers. Still pretty bad if the refs can't keep up but that was my initial thought watching it live. Thoughts?
Originally posted by RayWersching:
I thought the reason the refs inadvertantly delayed us getting to the line in the 1st quarter was because they were trying to announce additional eligible receivers. Still pretty bad if the refs can't keep up but that was my initial thought watching it live. Thoughts?

As I understand it, the players trying to declare couldn't get the refs attention until late because he was spotting the ball. Once he did so, he was allowing the D to "react" to the eligable players and wouldn't let the O snap the ball.

At that point it was too late because the play called for shifts.

Harbaugh tried to call a timeout, but the refs didn't see.

Essentially, total cluster by the refs.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

spot-on.

This team has played the toughest part of its schedule, has only played one complete game, and has won 7 out of 8. It is almost scary to imagine how good they will be when they hit their peak.

Agree. We have a long ways to go to get on the same page before the playoffs
Well said Brotha !
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Well done, Marvin

......Just noticed something else.....

Gore: 782 yards
Hunter: 217 yards

Thats 999 yards.....at MIDseason.

Lets not forget Alex has 78 rushing yards and Dixon has 10 so...1087 yards!
[ Edited by cj_smith24 on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:27 PM ]

2) Alex: Its kinda funny. This has happened a few times this season. I think he's not playing all that well (not badly, just not a great game) and then I look up and he has a 109 rating. To everyone who says tho that he is being "protected", look at John Beck. Wash is TRYING to protect him as well. Prior to the garbage time stuff, he looked like a High School QB.

I am not sure what you mean about the bold. How on earth could you possibly say that Washington is trying to "protect" John Beck the way we are with Alex. Look, I have been a staunch Alex critic, but have been pleased with his play overall. Alex IS being protected because he is NOT asked to do that much....and thats OK. Its working. John Beck threw the ball damn near FIFTY times on Sunday. How is that being protected? Thats the opposite of being protected. Thats letting him loose.

Alex is not being asked to do much, and we are winning. Thats all that matters. But to say that Beck is trying to be protected the way Harbaugh is protecting Alex is ridiculous.

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

2) Alex: Its kinda funny. This has happened a few times this season. I think he's not playing all that well (not badly, just not a great game) and then I look up and he has a 109 rating. To everyone who says tho that he is being "protected", look at John Beck. Wash is TRYING to protect him as well. Prior to the garbage time stuff, he looked like a High School QB.

I am not sure what you mean about the bold. How on earth could you possibly say that Washington is trying to "protect" John Beck the way we are with Alex. Look, I have been a staunch Alex critic, but have been pleased with his play overall. Alex IS being protected because he is NOT asked to do that much....and thats OK. Its working. John Beck threw the ball damn near FIFTY times on Sunday. How is that being protected? Thats the opposite of being protected. Thats letting him loose.

Alex is not being asked to do much, and we are winning. Thats all that matters. But to say that Beck is trying to be protected the way Harbaugh is protecting Alex is ridiculous.
They really didn't start throwing the ball tell the end of the first half and into the 2nd half because they were down 13 - 0 and eventually 19 -3 they had no choice but to let him throw the ball to try and get them back in the game. Also most of his throws traveled a whole 2 yards down field lol.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
And the Penn State coach was molesting little boys in the shower at Penn State

Poor Bowman.....
  • jdean
  • Veteran
1) Miller: Its hard to believe that this guy was rushing the QB at this time last year. He seems to have the body type, the speed, and the ball skills to be a natural FB. He still has things to learn, but thats a pretty impressive find for Harbaugh/Baalke.

3) Goldson: I freely admit that I am not a big fan of his. I've always though he was a big hitter, but too often was caught out of place in coverage. I'll admit tho that he is having a very good year. He's blowing people up more than ever (and getting flagged on BS calls) but is still playing well in coverage.

4) Refs: This isn't a "they hate us" kinda complaint. This is just saying that the officials better get on board here. The Niners shift. ALOT. They are ALLOWED to do so. There have been several occasions this year where they have been flagged for a LEGAL shift. The NFL needs to get with those refs and teach them the freakin' rules. Is it unconventional? Yes...but thats not excuse for screwing it up.

5) Willis/Bowman: I hate to quote Matt Millen, but in this case he's right. They are the best LB tandem in the NFL.

6) Crabtree/Edwards: Bit by bit, little by little....this thing is really coming together. They struggle at times. Sometimes everyone isn't where they are supposed to be. This is still a work in progress. Ya know what tho? This division is all but wrapped up and they have 8 more games to figure this thing out before they start playing in January. More on that later...

7) Culliver: This guy is starting to really play well. I think he may be a force in the future. Next year (assuming Rogers is extended), Rogers and Culliver may be your Game 1 starters.

8) Brooks: I really like this guy. Ya know what I like most? He makes a great play and then he just walks back to the huddle. He doesn't celebrate. He just does his job and moves on to the next play. Several weeks ago he hit Andy Dalton so hard his helmet popped off. He got up, rebuttoned his chinstrap, and got ready for the next play. Love it.

9) O-Line: Still playing well. Allowed two sacks....one each to their outside linebackers....but not bad. The first hit on Smith was as much Smiths fault as it was Davis' fault. Alex never saw the guy coming.

10) Team Progression: Something kinda struck me this weekend. Everyone has hammered Alex Smith for several years over his poor play. In many cases, it was justified. One of the most frustrating things tho as fans was that this team would tease us. They would suck badly early, then come on late and give us hope that NEXT year would be different. Alot of that can be explained by the fact that a New OC would be there every single year and by the time Alex and the rest of the team started to really get it down, they had too many losses to actually contend.

This year is different. The O is still struggling because they are still learning....but the team is winning anyway. This team is winning and that late season surge isn't here yet. I completely understand what Braylon Edwards is saying....this team is winning and they haven't really scratched the surface of what they can do.

I don't know if they will get it all figured out or not. If they are true to form tho and get it figured out late in the year, watch out in January.

As for #4 sando had a good article about the penalties at espn. He also had a link to mike pierra's story on some ??? Penalties over the weekend.

4) Refs:

6) Crabtree/Edwards:

10) Team Progression: Something kinda struck me this weekend. Everyone has hammered Alex Smith for several years over his poor play. In many cases, it was justified. One of the most frustrating things tho as fans was that this team would tease us. They would suck badly early, then come on late and give us hope that NEXT year would be different. Alot of that can be explained by the fact that a New OC would be there every single year and by the time Alex and the rest of the team started to really get it down, they had too many losses to actually contend.

This year is different. The O is still struggling because they are still learning....but the team is winning anyway. This team is winning and that late season surge isn't here yet. I completely understand what Braylon Edwards is saying....this team is winning and they haven't really scratched the surface of what they can do.

Great post as usual Marvin, thanks! A couple of comments:

#2 I had the same feeling after the Detroit game. Thought Smith had a bad game and then realized he had played pretty well.

#4 Saw a comment from the NFL that it is up the the refs whether the shifting was being done to try and draw the D offsides. SF will have to adjust unless the NFL talks to the refs.

#6 These guys have to stay healthy! If they can it will be a great offense by end of season.

#10 Have been thinking about this all year! The team has been a second half of season team for a few years, which should scare the hell out of opponents coming up!

As far as your comments on Miller--he is amazing for a rookie changing position--any of those guys who criticized Baalke for drafting players for a new position (me )--any comments? No...I apologize!
Share 49ersWebzone