LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Lockup Bowman before he hits free agency

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He's a monster next to Willis. We need to lock him up before he hits free agency and becomes too expensive.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 7, 2011 at 4:13 AM ]
we also have a ton of others to lock up....
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's a monster next to Willis. We need to lock him up before he hits free agency and becomes too expensive.

he is in his second year of what i believe is a four year contract. There's time.
And we need to lock up people like Rodgers!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
still time. we have others to worry about.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:47 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
still time. we have others to worry about.

Got to definetly lock him up next year. I just wanted to guage what other people felt about him. Can't let him slip away.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:57 AM ]
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
he is in his second year of what i believe is a four year contract. There's time.

Is it just me or is it completely frustrating how everyone in WZ spells Rogers as Rodgers. We do not have Aaron Rodgers we have Carlos ROGERS.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Is it just me or is it completely frustrating how everyone in WZ spells Rogers as Rodgers. We do not have Aaron Rodgers we have Carlos ROGERS.

This. all these ppl rave about his game, but cant even spell his name, the way aaron rodgers spells it is far less common than the way carlos does
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Tentative deadline to lock Bowman up long term is exactly a year away. Waiting until week 8 of next year will give us plenty of time to evaluate him and see him in playoff situations and also see him through a full off-season with the coaching staff. Baalke knows that we have to worry about other people a lot sooner then we have to think about Bowman leaving us. Secondly, with the culture that Harbaugh is building I don't see any of our up and comers wanting out of a promising team with what looks like a death grip on their division.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Let him play out til the end because paying guys early can them to lose their hunger.

if he keeps playing like he has, he might demand a new contract.

Locking him now wouldn't really be much cheaper than waiting, IMO. The dude isn't unaware of how good he's been, or how valuable, and even if he is, his agent isn't.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Locking him now wouldn't really be much cheaper than waiting, IMO. The dude isn't unaware of how good he's been, or how valuable, and even if he is, his agent isn't.

yes, but his agent might tell him "take a lower contract now. if you wait and get a career threatening injury, there won't be a next contract. This is insurance, and you can always renegotiate if you outplay your contract." I think that's what agents do. Also, they want their money now as well.
Originally posted by Shaj:

yes, but his agent might tell him "take a lower contract now. if you wait and get a career threatening injury, there won't be a next contract. This is insurance, and you can always renegotiate if you outplay your contract." I think that's what agents do. Also, they want their money now as well.

i won't be surprised if Bowman looks for a new contract after this season, especially if he's a Pro-Bowler and an All-Pro. It will be cheaper than it would be in 2 years if he keeps it up, but it'll be more expensive than his current contract, which still has two more years on it. So on the one hand its good for us but on the other its not. Its also possible that this agent would ask not for a "cheaper" contract but one that reflects the assumption that he'll continue to play at an All-Pro level. He'll want a Willis contract.

I don't think the Niners should look to extend Bowman right now, but I think they might be confronted with the possibility at some point this offseason. Just MO.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:

i won't be surprised if Bowman looks for a new contract after this season, especially if he's a Pro-Bowler and an All-Pro. It will be cheaper than it would be in 2 years if he keeps it up, but it'll be more expensive than his current contract, which still has two more years on it. So on the one hand its good for us but on the other its not. Its also possible that this agent would ask not for a "cheaper" contract but one that reflects the assumption that he'll continue to play at an All-Pro level. He'll want a Willis contract.

I don't think the Niners should look to extend Bowman right now, but I think they might be confronted with the possibility at some point this offseason. Just MO.

I say extend him this off season and take the drama out of it.
I would work on his contract now -- he gets more expensive every game he plays! LOL. Seriously though, you quietly let his agent know you would like to discuss a contract extension and that will motivate him even more without becoming a big distraction later.
Share 49ersWebzone