There are 163 users in the forums

Terrell Brown Vs Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Unless he somehow comes on late he should be released. He is due 3.3M next year, and he isnt worth it. He hasn't been consistent ever in his career. His best thing is he has always been good against Fitz. Rather cut him and save the 3.3M in 2012.

I know that Spencer's durability is a real issue, but 3.3 isn't that bad for someone of his skills... and also factoring in our lack of good CB depth.

Just a thought... no tears if he is cut loose.

may not sound like a lot, but with the new rules of the cap being so low, and him being no better than a 3rd/4th CB, 3.3M is way to much.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Unless he somehow comes on late he should be released. He is due 3.3M next year, and he isnt worth it. He hasn't been consistent ever in his career. His best thing is he has always been good against Fitz. Rather cut him and save the 3.3M in 2012.

I know that Spencer's durability is a real issue, but 3.3 isn't that bad for someone of his skills... and also factoring in our lack of good CB depth.

Just a thought... no tears if he is cut loose.

may not sound like a lot, but with the new rules of the cap being so low, and him being no better than a 3rd/4th CB, 3.3M is way to much.

Agree to disagree, I guess... I think Spencer is a quality # 2 CB when healthy... not a "no better than a 3rd/4th."
I think Spencer just got unlucky with the injuries and the dudes who took his place Brown and Culliver have played well. Id actually like to see Spencer get more PT but if Culliver and Brown keep playing well it probably wont happen
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think Spencer just got unlucky with the injuries and the dudes who took his place Brown and Culliver have played well. Id actually like to see Spencer get more PT but if Culliver and Brown keep playing well it probably wont happen

according to Maiocco, Spencer would be gone if it was an attitude problem, so it really is just that the coaches think he's the 5th best CB on the team right now, which I think it largely due to his injuries and quality play of Culliver, Brown, and Brock, like you say.

I have to imagine he'll be active this week, though, as the Giants have a bunch of weapons and we'll need good coverage.
Spencer was our #1 CB after Rumph for a couple of years. He just has not been healthy this year but is a capable #2 corner and is good to use against other teams taller receivers.
There are 6 other Niner DB's listed on the passes defensed list. Brown does not even make the list for passes defensed and also has no interceptions. Rogers,Culliver,Goldson,Whitner,Smith,Brock are all on the list and all of these guys have at least 1 interception. On the flip side Brown is the 3rd leading tackler in the secondary. I really believe that Spencer is better than both Brown and Brock I think there is more to this.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Me > Brown
You wish!!!
I think Spencer not suiting up was more of a numbers thing because of the DL. With McDonald out, RJF had to take his spot. RJF probably backs up all 3 DL positions, so we had to suit up 2 extra DL rookies that usually are not on the active game day roster. When McDonald is back in the lineup, look for Spencer to be back also, with the 2 rookie DL back to inscribe.
Good question! Spencer is easily one of our best CB's and yet we keep starting Brown who is a liability. We need to start Spencer!
Culliver is going to be be across from Rogers next year

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Ironic to say, but this is a good problem to have...your younger guys outperforming a vet that has started over the past few years.
Originally posted by kronik:
I disagree. I think Brown has had a solid season with his first year being a consistent starter. I like SHawntee too but I don't think he's gonna be in a niner uniform next year anyways.
Brown gives up too many big plays!!
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
Love ME!
Share 49ersWebzone