There are 197 users in the forums

If we were to play Green Bay today...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The best thing I like about 49ers vs Green Bay matchup that not too many talk about is the fact that the 49ers are very sucessful at bringing pressure without sending extra rushers.

This advantage will serve as kryptonite to superman Aaron Rodgers.
Originally posted by verb1der:
The best thing I like about 49ers vs Green Bay matchup that not too many talk about is the fact that the 49ers are very sucessful at bringing pressure without sending extra rushers.

This advantage will serve as kryptonite to superman Aaron Rodgers.

Yup. I mentioned that before.

Additionally, if they try to run against the nickel D, the 49ers are the only team with both starting ILBs in the nickel.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't think Green Bay could score more than 24 points on our defense. And I think our offense could score 24 points on their defense.

It would be a close game. That favors us in every way.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Rogers would light up our defense like he does everyone else.
Originally posted by Esco:
I like our chances then

yep! if maddog is claiming we'd get destroyed then that means we'll win the game. he has been wrong on just about everything else this year, from our draft picks to our record!
Originally posted by susweel:
Rogers would light up our defense like he does everyone else.

I don't know about light up but he would still have some success. I'm confident our D would be able to contain him.
I would blitz most plays. He will burn you no matter how many you put into coverage. At least you get some sacks, forced fumbles, and bang him around a litttle if you blitz. I go down blitzing. If we are going to go down anyway. I don't prefer the passive approach with this guy. The only way is you got to punch him in the mouth...
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by fastforward:
The debaters forgot the fact that A. Smith is capable of participating in a shoot-out on his own. He threw 3 TDs in the second halves against the Texans and the Packers in 2009 for example. His past problems have been not being able to put together a complete 4 quarters of play - in the Packers game he only turned on his engine in the second half. This season while some problems are still there, Smith has played a lot more consistent. He had a great third quarter against the Eagles. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Harbaugh opens the gate as the game situation demands.

Funny how everyone is always so focused on Alex and Aaron. How many loses does Rivers, Brady and Brees have combined? Aren't these "elite" QB's? Ahhhh, but "any given Sunday" lives on b/c this is the ultimate "team game." Nobody thought we could win four games away let alone in the EST. Nobody thought we could come from behind, down 20 against Philly or blow out Tampa Bay at home. Nobody thought we'd be 7-1 or the have the best defense in the NFL with all the big names we lost. Nobody thought we drafted well or made a play in FA or make any noise to start the season b/c of the lockout and new coaching staffs. Now we have a team who's entire culture has changed, who gets better each week and basically, has been playing straight up for the most part. We have a FO down to water boy who believes we can not only win but win anywhere, anytime.

What this and any game comes down to is coaching (scheming) and execution. Period. This is pure Walshian-like. We saw a weakness in Tampa (runs off-tackle) and exploited them and confused the hell out of them on defense. NOBODY thought we could not only neutralize but destroy and Lions DL. Nobody thought we had the weapons to come back from 20-down in Philly. Or make a last minute drive to win on 4th down in Detroit or win a game with ST's, etc.

We have as much talent as anyone but they key now is that we have coaches who know how to exploit weaknesses in the opposition again and now, with confidence, the players just have to execute. So it won't come down to Alex vs. Aaron...it will come down to the game plans and the entire teams executing. Period. And therefore, we'll see, who the better teams are as we go. But the good thing for us is that we have only been out-coached one time this year and really, it was Harbaugh over-coaching himself.

Nice post.

All this talk about what we can, and cannot do reminds me of the 1984 game against the Bears. Everyone was talking about the innovative killer 46 Defense and how the Bears were going to just crush Montana and the wimpy, wine-sipping 49ers on a day in January where the wind chill was in the single digits. Well...Walsh had other plans and the 49ers embarrassed the Bears 23-0 in their own house! No one really recognized until then how much talent the team had and how Walsh was able to negate just about any advantage another team had just by putting his players in a position to use their own skills instead of worrying about what the opponent MIGHT do.

I'm not suggesting Harbaugh is even close to the same level as Walsh but he has already exhibited a lot of Walshian ideas and tactics.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I would blitz most plays. He will burn you no matter how many you put into coverage. At least you get some sacks, forced fumbles, and bang him around a litttle if you blitz. I go down blitzing. If we are going to go down anyway. I don't prefer the passive approach with this guy. The only way is you got to punch him in the mouth...

If Ray McDonald and the rest of the line is healthy, we don't have to blitz a lot to get pressure. RayMc is the key, IMO. Smith, Smith, Sop and McDonald are going to cause some issues for the Packers...now if you add a Bowman/Brooks blitz package, things could get interesting.

Another interesting story line would be Capers, the mentor versus Fangio. the student. You know BOTH of those guys will be helping the offense guess what the other guy is going to do in such-and-such a situation.

Gonna be fun...if it happens.
The Eagles had 513 yards of offense against us...we had 442 on them. We won 24-23. Rodgers may get his yards but he won't get his points and Alex can play spread at any moments; we've evolved a lot as a team since the Eagles game.

right now i just want to worry about the NYGs. then week 11 and etc.
We'd lose today but win in the playoffs
It would definitely be and interesting game and likely to be in Green Bay where we haven't won since montana was quarterback. That being said, Rodgers is like Michael Jordan, the best way to slow him down is to deny him the ball. If we can control the clock and have long time killing drives on offense we stand a solid chance. We have to get more efficient in the endzone, field goals ain't gonna get it done against them. If we played them today I think they would win, but if our offensive improves I think we would beat them.
I think we would win if we played like how we are playing that's GBs weakness. T.o.p. battle with us grouding it out. Heavy blitzing on defense and no big plays given up. I think we win on defense win on st and tie on offense we barely would win n a heart breaker
Much as i love this team, we wouldn't beat GB today. Aaron Rodgers was well served sitting behind Favre all those yrs. We on the other hand ,have a very talented Qb who finally got his QB coach, his OC, and his HC all rolled up into one. I follow the packers, and good as McCarthy is , he is no JH. Coaching wise, I think we have the advantage.
Right now, tho, we need more time to get Wrs and alex, VD, on the same page. It was really interesting watching those two passes to Soap and Staley...they were deft , elegant touch passes, barely even thrown, but right on the money. Strange that alex doesn't have that slick control for his quick slants and outs. The OL pass plays shows us alex does have the touch passes, and is learning to read Ds, way better than any yr before. Finally, the OL is indescribably better, but not good enough yet for GB. I just hope they are where I think they will be around the second round of the playoffs. First there are the 3 little matters of Pitts, NYG, and Ravens. We win one game, that is great, and this sunday would be a good start. Balt and Pitts, i just hope we are far enough along to take those guys. If we win two of those, that is incredible. Should we win 3, than maybe we are ready for GB. We seem to improve noticeably each game, and we see more and more of JH's playbook. but GB right now...nope, it is just too soon.
Share 49ersWebzone