There are 593 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will we be the Fox Game of the Week vs. NYG?

Will we be the Fox Game of the Week vs. NYG?

Originally posted by boqi:
Sorry, but what's the significance of "Game of the Week?" Does that mean it's nationally broadcast? I thought NFL rules were that only 1 game (usually the home team) can be shown on Sunday.

I don't know if this is exactly how it works, but my experience on the East Coast seems to suggest that it works something along these lines:

The Game of the Week is always a 4 o'clock EST start. So it doesn't matter at all on the West Coast, you get your home game come what may. But in the Eastern and Central time zones, where the bulk of the NFL teams reside, the 4 o'clock slot is only occupied when your team is on the road to the West Coast. This allows the NFL to showcase a national 4 o'clock start that alternates between the NFC and AFC, hence the "double header" billing that bounces back and forth between Fox and CBS.

In sum, having the Niners as the Game of the Week next week is a boon for California's expatriated refugee population. Provided our adoptive home market isn't playing a 4 o'clock start.

Simple, eh?
  • boqi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I don't know if this is exactly how it works, but my experience on the East Coast seems to suggest that it works something along these lines:

The Game of the Week is always a 4 o'clock EST start. So it doesn't matter at all on the West Coast, you get your home game come what may. But in the Eastern and Central time zones, where the bulk of the NFL teams reside, the 4 o'clock slot is only occupied when your team is on the road to the West Coast. This allows the NFL to showcase a national 4 o'clock start that alternates between the NFC and AFC, hence the "double header" billing that bounces back and forth between Fox and CBS.

In sum, having the Niners as the Game of the Week next week is a boon for California's expatriated refugee population. Provided our adoptive home market isn't playing a 4 o'clock start.

Simple, eh?

So what you're saying is that on the West Coast, the Game of the Week is virtually purposeless/never shown unless it's your team being featured. And on the east coast it's shown at 1PM (EST) when the east coast team is playing on the west coast, in order to bide time for that 4PM game. The thing that confuses me is that 1PM EST is still 10AM PST, in which case the Niners (home), for example, aren't even playing yet.

Yeah, I'm confused.
I looked ahead on tv guide n so far says niners televised least here in so cal! Goniners bring on the lil giants
Should be, best match-up next week, hands down.
So what you're saying is that on the West Coast, the Game of the Week is virtually purposeless/never shown unless it's your team being featured. And on the east coast it's shown at 1PM (EST) when the east coast team is playing on the west coast, in order to bide time for that 4PM game. The thing that confuses me is that 1PM EST is still 10AM PST, in which case the Niners (home), for example, aren't even playing yet.

Yeah, I'm confused.

Whoops, I didn't get it across quite right.

On the East Coast the early game starts at 1 o'clock, which is 10 o'clock AM on the West coast. So on the East Coast most home markets have finished their football games by 4 o'clock Eastern (even those playing away games, because they're likely playing in the Eastern and Central time zones). As a result, the 4 o'clock Eastern start time allows the NFL to showcase a game nationally. Take the Pats/Giants game that is currently on. They moved back what would normally have been a 1 o'clock Eastern start time to showcase the game nationally. Taken a step further, if the Niners had played at home today, it wouldn't have mattered a whit to fans in the Bay Area because they'd get their home game regardless.

Next week, here in DC, the Redskins will play at 1 o'clock in Miami which should allow me to see the Niners as the Game of the Week at 4 o'clock.

Slightly clearer mud?
  • boqi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Whoops, I didn't get it across quite right.

On the East Coast the early game starts at 1 o'clock, which is 10 o'clock AM on the West coast. So on the East Coast most home markets have finished their football games by 4 o'clock Eastern (even those playing away games, because they're likely playing in the Eastern and Central time zones). As a result, the 4 o'clock Eastern start time allows the NFL to showcase a game nationally. Take the Pats/Giants game that is currently on. They moved back what would normally have been a 1 o'clock Eastern start time to showcase the game nationally. Taken a step further, if the Niners had played at home today, it wouldn't have mattered a whit to fans in the Bay Area because they'd get their home game regardless.

Next week, here in DC, the Redskins will play at 1 o'clock in Miami which should allow me to see the Niners as the Game of the Week at 4 o'clock.

Slightly clearer mud?

It's making more sense.

The only thing I don't get is why didn't we (West Coast) get to watch the Game of the Week (Pats v Giants on now) on FOX? It's not playing here in SF... :(
Well on a side note, if the Giants have this much trouble scoring on the patriots soft defense. I think we can shut them down, and force Eli to have a bad game. I've lived in the Bay area my whole life, but i feel for you guys who dont get the games.
when does flex scheduling come into effect? dont they usually switch up the sunday night/mon night games?
It's making more sense.

The only thing I don't get is why didn't we (West Coast) get to watch the Game of the Week (Pats v Giants on now) on FOX? It's not playing here in SF... :(

That's another layer of the rules that I do not fully understand, but I *think* you can blame it on the Raiders since you are in a shared home market. The broadcast rules are incredibly convoluted.
Joe Buck just said on the Giants/Patriots game that he, Troy and Pam Oliver will be in the bay area next week for the Giants / 49ers game.
Yes.
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Joe Buck just said on the Giants/Patriots game that he, Troy and Pam Oliver will be in the bay area next week for the Giants / 49ers game.

Joe Buck can stay home.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Joe Buck can stay home.

cool I'm glad I called it. And I'm glad that FOX is giving the Giants and Niners their due. Two first place teams with real good records.
Can't wait to see what it looks like on the 506

http://the506.com/nflmaps/
This is going to be a great matchup. Good test for our Niners. They will definitely be in the spotlight next week against the G-Men. Can't wait.