Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by okdkid:
We are watching perhaps the greatest single season coaching performance in NFL history.

I don't know if I would go that fair.

I actually agree with okdkid that "We are watching perhaps the greatest single season coaching performance in NFL history." The season isn't over yet, so obviously its too early to declare it the greatest coaching performance ever. But with the way things are going now (and if we continue to be successful), its not that unreasonable to think this could be the best coaching job in NFL history. Yes, there have been rookie HCs with winning records in their 1st year. Yes, there have been HCs who turned losing teams into winners after 1 season. Yes, there have been HCs who have resurrected a player's career and helped shed the "bust" label. But how many coaches have done ALL of that at the same time after a short/incomplete offseason? Throughout NFL history, I can only name 1 coach who's done that.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by okdkid:
I would definitely go that fair.

A 6-10 team turns into a world-beating elite NFL team with no offseason, a new head coach and new offense. Name a better pure coaching job in a single season? I can't.

Well their was a reason over the last few seasons this team was picked to win the NFC west. We had talent on this roster and some elite talent (Gore, Davis, Willis, Lee, some would say Justin Smith). We just needed an actual coach for this team, which we now have.

Jeff Ireland came to a Miami team that was 1-15 in 2007 and took them to 11-5.

Dick Vermeil took a 4-12 Rams team in 1998 to 13-3 in 1999 and winning the Superbowl.

Tony Dungy took a Tampa Bay team that was never any good and in his first year lead them from a 1-8 first half to a 5-2 second half in 1996 and 10-6 in 1997 (first winning season since 1982).

Brian Billick went from 8-8 in 1999 to 12-4 in 2000 and winning a Superbowl.

A lot of people were picking the 49ers to win the NFC West mainly because we were the most talented team in the division, not necessarily the whole league. Not to mention the NFC West probably needs only 8 wins to be division champs. Yes, we had some talent...but many felt our QB situation and poor pass rush was keeping us from being legit contenders (in the league, not just the division).

Anytime a coach can turn a 1-15 team into an 11-5 team the following year is impressive. However, Sparano benefited from an easy schedule...which is why I don't consider this one of the greatest coaching performances in a single season. Only 2 of those 11 wins were against winning teams (the 11-5 Cassel-led Patriots and the 9-7 Jets). Another reason the team performed better is because the QB position was addressed. Miami went from Cleo Lemon and John Beck in 2007 to Chad Pennington the following year. The 2011 Niners also addressed the QB position...not with a personnel change, but with better coaching.

Dick Vermeil's turnaround with the Rams is also impressive and a great coaching job. However, he had 3 full seasons to implement his system. Also, a significant difference between the 4-12 Rams in 1998 and the 13-3 Rams in 1999 was 2 HOF players. The team went from QB Tony Banks and HB Robert Holcombe in 1998 to QB Kurt Warner and HB Marshall Faulk the following season. While it was a good coaching job, Vermeil benefitted from 2 impact personnel moves.

While you claimed that Harbaugh inherited a team with talent, the same can be said about Dungy and the Buccs. When Dungy took over, he had Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, and Hardy Nickerson. He coached the Buccs into a winning record in his 2nd season, which gave him 2 full offseasons to implement his system.

Like Dungy and the Buccs, Billick inherited a team with talent and turned them around in his 2nd season. The Ravens had Rob Burnett, Tony Siragusa, Michael McCrary, Peter Boulware, Ray Lewis, Jamie Sharper, Chris McCalister, and Rod Woodson when Billick took over.

All these examples show good coaching performances, but they didn't face the same struggles Harbaugh had to overcome going into the season. Harbaugh is a rookie HC, had a short offseason with limited time to implement his system, and turned a losing team into a winner in his 1st season with the team. Also, the team's biggest concern (QB play) wasn't addressed with a personnel move or impact roster addition...it was done through coaching. If the season continues to be successful, is it really that crazy to consider it the greatest coaching job in NFL history? At the very least, it has to rank somewhere at the top.

Anyways, back on topic. I think its too early to say Harbaugh is our best coach since Walsh. He has the potential, but after 7 games it can't be determined just yet.