LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Who do we need to upgrade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
I do agree with WR but I want to actually get a nice sample of Braylon first. If he can stay healthy and produce, I would be more than ok with Braylon, Crabs, Morgan, Davis, and Walker with K. Will and Ginn coming in to stretch the field.

I was a big Manny fan and he didnt put up numbers like everyone thought he should, and in the same regard Haralson is in that same boat as well. But honestly, 14 tackles 2 sacks (all in one game) - I would like to see a bit more production there.

definitely agree about Braylon. Wait and see.

as for Haralson, he has provided some pressure, but that's not really his job right now. Like you say, he's kind of like Manny right now. He sets the edge, he plays in coverage. He's doing a good job. I don't think production is a problem. Just my opinion.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
QB and WR (Edwards and Crabs are too often injured)

I honestly believe that even Kaepernick could do what A.Smith has done this season. It's just Harbaughs genius.

Lets say a team has our running game stuffed. Would Smith be able to throw for 400 yards, 3-4 TD's if need be?? I don't think so.

LOL. What? Kaep has shown nothing to indicate he can be anywhere close next year to what Alex is doing this year. Alex is playing at a very high level. With no offseason, a brand new system and all new coaches. No question he could be better yet next year. Kaep doesn't even know what to do in a pocket. We are back to that again and maybe even worse. It will take 3 years to develop Kaep if ever. We need to RESIGN ALEX.
Realistically, we should always be looking to upgrade, it is asinine to say otherwise. There should be a constant quest to improve and secure our future at every position, this builds depth, creates competition, and will help sustain a team at the top. So hell yes we need to improve, or our success will be short lived!
CB
S
WR
C
NT
Originally posted by lamontb:
CB
S
WR
C
NT

I think CB is ok if we resign Rogers. If we don't we are looking at HUGE dropoff and not as good of a team. S is much improved with Goldson back. Resign him and we are ok. WR is ok if Edwards can stay healthy and he resigns. Can he stay healthy? NT isn't that bad I think. But our D Line could use more depth. C we could use for sure but I like what we have for at least 1 year.
Veteran backup QB

Safety - Rangy and with the instincts of a Troy Polumalu if possible. As much as Dashon Goldon can be a big hitter and big playmaker at times, still dont trust him to be reliable back there like he should be.

CB - an elite shutdown corner would be nice or we need to continue to find.

NT - of the Haloti Ngata/ Jay Ratliff types
  • Chico
  • Veteran
RB!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
CB
S
WR
C
NT

I think CB is ok if we resign Rogers. If we don't we are looking at HUGE dropoff and not as good of a team. S is much improved with Goldson back. Resign him and we are ok. WR is ok if Edwards can stay healthy and he resigns. Can he stay healthy? NT isn't that bad I think. But our D Line could use more depth. C we could use for sure but I like what we have for at least 1 year.

Good list ...I want to re-sign Rogers and then draft a CB in the first round, we need to keep adding depth at CB if we are going to be dealing with potent passing attacks and competing for a playoff spot in the coming seasons

I wanna keep Goldson too, plus add more depth at safety in the 2nd round

Same with WR, I want to lock up Braylon and Morgan for awhile and grab another talented WR to groom for the coming seasons with either a 3rd or 4th round pick

I think we should be ok at NT for a bit, Jean-Francois and Ian williams should develop as time goes by , but I want us to get another DE with a non stop motor like Justin Smith and Ray Mac to add to the DL rotation
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM ]
LOL. What? Kaep has shown nothing to indicate he can be anywhere close next year to what Alex is doing this year. Alex is playing at a very high level. With no offseason, a brand new system and all new coaches. No question he could be better yet next year. Kaep doesn't even know what to do in a pocket. We are back to that again and maybe even worse. It will take 3 years to develop Kaep if ever. We need to RESIGN ALEX.

exactly, remember him trying to handoff in the TB game? everyone always thinks the grass can be greener. i'm starting to hate that whole "what if we're down/shootout" argument. It seems pretty obvious what the strategy is. Ball/clock control, great defense, no mistakes, adjust and make plays when you need to. This strategy has worked pretty good for the last 7 games. I also have had a feeling that JH is holding back on opening up the playbook so we can surprise teams later and to protect turnovers.
Its hard for me to really see a glaring need, but if I had to pick...we need an upgrade at FS. Yes we have two pretty good safeties in Goldson and Whitner, but i feel like they are both SS. Reggie Smith looked liked like he could take that FS spot before his injury, but we need someone back there with some range. I love Goldson's hits, but on that TD to Cribbs he made two blunders; first he locked onto the TE when he's one of the 2-deep safeties(blown coverage), then he didnt pursue when it looked like brown was going to push Cribbs out of bounds(no hustle). That TD could have been prevented with proper coverage or if he just hustled over to make the tackle. since youtube is removing everything: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d823a2979/GameDay-Browns-vs-49ers-highlights @1:30

Overall though this team is getting set up for quality depth so that when guys get injured or need to come out of the game, there is not a huge drop off in production. We've kind of already seen that. you can tell there is an effort to get everyone on the team involved so when the time comes for them to take more snaps, they are ready and willing.

Even if Rodgers is resigned this team needs to upgrade the position imo. Brown looks good one week then garbage the next week. Brock is a solid back up at best. I get the feeling that Spencer won't be back with the team next year. I love the potential of Culliver but they still need another top level corner. Edwards seems to always be nicked up, and he's on the wrong side of 30. WR position needs an upgrade. Crabtree and Morgan are both decent but nothing special. As far as NT that is more of a depth issue. I forgot all about Williams. So i agree they could use overall d line depth. Somebody who can come in and produce while giving J Smith a few plays off.

• dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Alex is essentially a rookie this year, IMHO. He has another OC, entire new coaching staff, new offense, no time to install it, key injuries to all three WR's, changes along the OL, tough early schedule, etc. The reality is that he is doing everything that is asked of him at a very high level and I feel he will grow as the offense evolves and injured players get back into the fold. Remember, he's had to "unlearn" 7 years of different offenses and that is very difficult esp. with no offseason. He is essentially a rookie who isn't making rookie mistakes right now. To say we need an upgrade right now is very premature as he's grown every week with really, only one area he needs to improve upon and that is his deep accuracy although he's made some beauties here as well this year esp. along the sidelines in between defenders.

I agree with HessianDud as well re: our potential upgrades. I'd also consider a true two-gap dominant NT as well which would give us a ton of depth on the DL. Safety is a big one as we essentially have two strong safeties right now who excel at playing inside the box, in run support and are benefiting off a great pass rush and plenty of extra CB's on the field. But both are slow in range and can certainly be beaten deep and sometimes, slow to help over the top. We could use another star RB or a scat-back, another dominant MLB in case Willis/Bowman go down. Maybe another veteran C just in case and blocking TE. We need mostly depth and preparation in case anyone goes down...next guy up.

No question Alex can be better next year with 2 years in the same system. He didn't even have a legitimate offseason and all new system and coaches.

If better QB play was an easy thing to find, 22 other teams in the league would do it today.

QB and WR are inextricably linked. As Edwards and Crabtree get more PT, both positions will be improved. As it stands now, PATIENCE is what is needed. Right now Smith is playing better than he ever had, better than 20+ other QBs in the league. His arrow is pointing up. Until it becomes clear he has reached his ceiling, any move would be foolish.

WR is in the same category as QB, IMO. It needs time. That being said, the passing game needs a speedy guy that can really go get the long ball. Ginn has neither the hands nor the judgement to be that guy. All good passing teams have more than just two dependable catchers. Davis and Walker add a component that some other teams do not have but they are not put in the position of sitting outside and scaring the safety into doubling over the top. Green Bay sets the standard for WRs right now. They can bring 5 guys that force the DC to plan for them.

Center/RG is an area that needs upgrading but Kilgore may play in that issue. Again, the main thing needed here is PATIENCE. For 8 years the coaching has been so bad that we really don't know what the current roster can do or what is needed that is here but only needs time to develop.

On defense; you can never have too many pass rushers, but the present mix of Aldon, Justin, Haralson and Brooks seem to be bringing it more and more as time goes along.

The secondary is the one obvious area of need. A big CB with speed is the single greatest need.

The safety position is a changing one in the league. Both safeties need excellent cover skills. Goldson, as exciting as he is with some of his hits, is not a good cover guy. No one else on the roster appears to have the skill set needed to play safety. Add AT LEAST one, better still, two players at this position.

By the time we actually CAN do something about upgrades, we will know a lot more about WHERE we need an upgrade.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:42 AM ]
Thought about this the other day, and was surprised how hard it was for me to decide what I'd want to see taken in the first round. Man, what a difference a year makes.

CB - Is Brown the weak link in the secondary? Maybe. I've been impressed with Culliver to this point. Maybe he takes that job. Either way, you can never have too many CBs in this league.

WR - Do we have a true #1 guy out there that defenses have to account for? Someone that you have to double-team? I don't think so, or, if we do, I haven't seen it yet.

QB - Smith has been playing well, perhaps the best "winning" football of his career. Will he ever be elite? If not, will Kaepernick? This draft will have three top prospects at the position(Luck, L Jones, Barkley), with a bunch of teams having addressed that need last year. We will not likely be in a position to draft any of those guys from where we draft *poster crosses fingers*, and with teams like Washington, Miami, Arizona, and maybe Indy looking for a QB, any move on those guys will require a good chunk of our draft picks(think Atlanta/Cleveland trade). Then again, maybe our roster is in a position where we can trade a bunch of picks to go get someone.

DE - Not an immediate need, but is now the time to start looking for another Justin Smith/BY? It would give us the option of rotating more guys in and out for now, keeping Smith and MacDonald fresh.

Nine more games to go, this could all change. Ask us again at the end of the season....somewhere around Jan/Feb.
Starters
Tarell Brown--great backup, but can take talents somewhere else
Synder--Just a great swing OL, great. Need to keep, but not start.
Rachal--For this year, in a pinch. Won't be a starter here so upgrade in FA or draft
Goldson--Maybe...he need to demonstrate more heart and finish the frickin' game
Harlson--Time for Smith to take over next year, he's now the backup.
Ice--Maybe, but shown he can handle NT. I do hope we can get another fatty though.

WR in itself needs to be addressed even with Morgan coming back.

Depth and competition at key positions:
WR
OG
OT
OLB
FS
SS

[ Edited by ninertico on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM ]
1. QB 2. WR 3. probably another db?
CB
WR
WR
DE - Justin smith cant do it forever, get his replacement before its too late.
G
T
Share 49ersWebzone