There are 328 users in the forums

Who do we need to upgrade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What starter do we absolutely need to upgrade to take this team to the next level? The obvious answer is Alex, he is playing pretty good right now based on what he is asked to do but Quarterback is the most important position and he can easily be upgraded. I am not bashing him but it's true. So seeing how that is the easy answer what starter do we absolutely need to upgrade to be better other than Alex?

The one thing that is lacking on this team is Passing Offense and Passing Defense. Brown Culliver and Rogers have played very well but I think we seriously need another starter aside Rogers. I think Culliver or Brown can be that guy in the future but while they are developing I think if we had another solid CB RIGHT NOW we would take this team to the next level.

More consistent play out of Rachal/Snyder would greatly upgrade us but I think Snyder has filled in nicely to this point.

Personally I am sick with Parys Haralson as well. We need better production out of our ROLB. The FF are nice but what else has he done. I think he is an easy upgrade. I do not consider Aldon Smith and him to play the same position since Smith is more of a DE in passing downs. If he can develop the ability to show that he can also cover in this league than we have found our upgrade but until then we need someone else.

Thoughts?
no
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:32 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oct2076:
spam

this
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:32 AM ]
Haralson has been very good. Not sure why people don't like him. He plays on 1st and 2nd down--running downs--for the best run defense in the NFL. Dude isn't our best LB but he ain't bad. Eventually Aldon will replace him, so nothing needs to be done to upgrade this position.

Snyder has helped stabilize the line but I would much rather have him as the top interior backup than a starter. Need to upgrade, but might have that upgrade on the roster already in Kilgore.

Brown has been better than I thought he'd be, but definitely we need another CB. We also need another safety.

We also need another WR. If Braylon gets into the groove and we can re-sign him, then that might solve that; if not, WR is almost an equal need to CB, IMO.

so, upgrades we need (in addition to signing our own free agents, which is the priority #1)

WR
CB
S
G
Long Snapper
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Haralson has been very good. Not sure why people don't like him. He plays on 1st and 2nd down--running downs--for the best run defense in the NFL. Dude isn't our best LB but he ain't bad. Eventually Aldon will replace him, so nothing needs to be done to upgrade this position.

Snyder has helped stabilize the line but I would much rather have him as the top interior backup than a starter. Need to upgrade, but might have that upgrade on the roster already in Kilgore.

Brown has been better than I thought he'd be, but definitely we need another CB. We also need another safety.

We also need another WR. If Braylon gets into the groove and we can re-sign him, then that might solve that; if not, WR is almost an equal need to CB, IMO.

so, upgrades we need (in addition to signing our own free agents, which is the priority #1)

WR
CB
S
G

I do agree with WR but I want to actually get a nice sample of Braylon first. If he can stay healthy and produce, I would be more than ok with Braylon, Crabs, Morgan, Davis, and Walker with K. Will and Ginn coming in to stretch the field.

I was a big Manny fan and he didnt put up numbers like everyone thought he should, and in the same regard Haralson is in that same boat as well. But honestly, 14 tackles 2 sacks (all in one game) - I would like to see a bit more production there.
Ownership.

We need an upgrade on new threads
Early on I would have said the right side of the offensive line, but Davis has gotten better and Snyder has solved the Chilo problem. Now, I wouldn't make any changes till the offseason.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Early on I would have said the right side of the offensive line, but Davis has gotten better and Snyder has solved the Chilo problem. Now, I wouldn't make any changes till the offseason.

Amazing what a difference Chilo out an Snyder in did. We can actually pass block now...

Alex is essentially a rookie this year, IMHO. He has another OC, entire new coaching staff, new offense, no time to install it, key injuries to all three WR's, changes along the OL, tough early schedule, etc. The reality is that he is doing everything that is asked of him at a very high level and I feel he will grow as the offense evolves and injured players get back into the fold. Remember, he's had to "unlearn" 7 years of different offenses and that is very difficult esp. with no offseason. He is essentially a rookie who isn't making rookie mistakes right now. To say we need an upgrade right now is very premature as he's grown every week with really, only one area he needs to improve upon and that is his deep accuracy although he's made some beauties here as well this year esp. along the sidelines in between defenders.

I agree with HessianDud as well re: our potential upgrades. I'd also consider a true two-gap dominant NT as well which would give us a ton of depth on the DL. Safety is a big one as we essentially have two strong safeties right now who excel at playing inside the box, in run support and are benefiting off a great pass rush and plenty of extra CB's on the field. But both are slow in range and can certainly be beaten deep and sometimes, slow to help over the top. We could use another star RB or a scat-back, another dominant MLB in case Willis/Bowman go down. Maybe another veteran C just in case and blocking TE. We need mostly depth and preparation in case anyone goes down...next guy up.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:46 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
QB and WR (Edwards and Crabs are too often injured)

I honestly believe that even Kaepernick could do what A.Smith has done this season. It's just Harbaughs genius.

Lets say a team has our running game stuffed. Would Smith be able to throw for 400 yards, 3-4 TD's if need be?? I don't think so.
A). WR - I think Edwrads can be the guy BUT we have to see what he produces. Crabs has potential BUT potential is not results. My key concern about him is injuries. Two years in row he's had injuries that keep him from reaching his potential.

B). CB for sure. Right now Rodgers is playing very well. Mostly because our DL has put LOTS of pressure on opposing QB. If we can get another in FA or the draft we'll be in pretty good shape.

C). Safety - just one more hard hitting guy who can cover

D). I see Snyder playing G for one more season as a starter. That Kilgore guy was impressive the last time I saw im play.
If upgrading the QB was that easy I dont think Alex would still be here. But I like what Ive seen from CK and Tolz enough to keep them as development projects while Alex continues to try and heighten his ceiling.

From a need stand point, As long as there is value we need the top DB available, either at CB or S. Resign Rogers & Goldson, and get a stacked secondary to compliment our front 7.

In the second, I would stray from convention and target a TE like that dude from Stanford. Defenses have gone small and quick to counter the abundance of 3-4wr sets, and finding a Jimmy Graham or Jermichael Finley type TE would add a good weapon while keeping the offense built to run. Peele is servicable but not spectacular. I could see 4 TE sets with VD, Walker, Byham where Ice or Boone would be, and Rookie with 1-2 flankin out at receiver to exploit mismatches out of a more versatile jumbo set.

Then another OLB, RB, WR, DE/DT, and OL for depth and competition... but always go with value.
[ Edited by 5280High on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:54 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Alex is essentially a rookie this year, IMHO. He has another OC, entire new coaching staff, new offense, no time to install it, key injuries to all three WR's, changes along the OL, tough early schedule, etc. The reality is that he is doing everything that is asked of him at a very high level and I feel he will grow as the offense evolves and injured players get back into the fold. Remember, he's had to "unlearn" 7 years of different offenses and that is very difficult esp. with no offseason. He is essentially a rookie who isn't making rookie mistakes right now. To say we need an upgrade right now is very premature as he's grown every week with really, only one area he needs to improve upon and that is his deep accuracy although he's made some beauties here as well this year esp. along the sidelines in between defenders.

I agree with HessianDud as well re: our potential upgrades. I'd also consider a true two-gap dominant NT as well which would give us a ton of depth on the DL. Safety is a big one as we essentially have two strong safeties right now who excel at playing inside the box, in run support and are benefiting off a great pass rush and plenty of extra CB's on the field. But both are slow in range and can certainly be beaten deep and sometimes, slow to help over the top. We could use another star RB or a scat-back, another dominant MLB in case Willis/Bowman go down. Maybe another veteran C just in case and blocking TE. We need mostly depth and preparation in case anyone goes down...next guy up.

No question Alex can be better next year with 2 years in the same system. He didn't even have a legitimate offseason and all new system and coaches.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone