There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers and the National Media (Perceptions, predictions, articles, etc.)

Originally posted by susweel:
I agree with this.

Before i actually liked LC's articles but lately he seems to be reaching.

Well, yeah because he doesn't have a coach so bad with the media that the articles write themselves. He wants Harbaugh to screw up and give him a story...almost all of them want that so when he doesn't he reaches for one.
Originally posted by danimal:


There has never been any hard evidence that any other NFL team besides the 49ers have been interested in Alex Smith.

uh..

There were some substantial reports around the middle of the season that arose revealing that the Seahawks expected him to walk and were prepared to make him an offer. Also, it was pretty well known a few years ago(09 while he was still backing Hill up) that Tom Moore had brought up the options of attempting to trade for Alex to back Manning up, Moore said both before and after the draft how much he loved Alex, I remember that all so well because it was why I always refused giving up on him, Moore knows quarterbacks.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by susweel:
I agree with this.

Before i actually liked LC's articles but lately he seems to be reaching.

Well, yeah because he doesn't have a coach so bad with the media that the articles write themselves. He wants Harbaugh to screw up and give him a story...almost all of them want that so when he doesn't he reaches for one.

L COhn does not write anything like he used to when he was with the Chronicle. Heck, towards his last few years in the Chronicle, his pieces were getting sloppier and sloppier. He has to resort to this type of articles to make HIMSELF (or at least try to) relevant.

- 98
Originally posted by danimal:
I was listening to some ESPN radio last night. And one of the analysts stated that the Niners should give Alex Smith a 5 year deal(3 guaranteed) for Mid Range money.

Schlereth retorted that he can think of 10 teams who would outbid that....and he was challenged to do so. He had to back peddle. It was pretty funny.

There has never been any hard evidence that any other NFL team besides the 49ers have been interested in Alex Smith.

Rumors were that Seattle and Oakland were pretty interested AFTER 2010. After a 14-4 campaign, I'd imagine they'd still be interested. Any of these teams would at least be interested in Alex Smith as a starter or compete for the starting job.

Cleveland (QB situation is shaky at best)
Miami (No QB)
Washington ( Smith vs Grossman/Beck)
Oakland (I don't think the rest of Oakland believes in Palmer as much as Hue Jackson did)
Seattle (Smith vs T Jack?)
Jets (I think Smith is better and more reliable than Sanchez).


Maybe:

Tampa Bay (QB situation isn't so concrete there anymore)
Chicago (someone needs to light a fire under Cutler)
Dallas (is Romo really the long term answer?)
Denver (two spread QBs competing. The irony of this one would be awesome. Tebow claims he WATCHED FILM on Alex Smith to "learn." Lulz)
Kansas City (QB situation is a little unsettled. Alex could compete).

*********

There you go. 10-11 teams that would/could use Alex Smith. The 4 bolded teams are teams I think Alex would/could definitely be a day 1 starter WITHOUT much, if any, competition.

This being said, I think it would be absolutely stupid for Alex to go anywhere. His best chance of long term success and a championship is here without a doubt.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Rumors were that Seattle and Oakland were pretty interested AFTER 2010. After a 14-4 campaign, I'd imagine they'd still be interested. Any of these teams would at least be interested in Alex Smith as a starter or compete for the starting job.

Cleveland (QB situation is shaky at best)
Miami (No QB)
Washington ( Smith vs Grossman/Beck)
Oakland (I don't think the rest of Oakland believes in Palmer as much as Hue Jackson did)
Seattle (Smith vs T Jack?)
Jets (I think Smith is better and more reliable than Sanchez).


Maybe:

Tampa Bay (QB situation isn't so concrete there anymore)
Chicago (someone needs to light a fire under Cutler)
Dallas (is Romo really the long term answer?)
Denver (two spread QBs competing. The irony of this one would be awesome. Tebow claims he WATCHED FILM on Alex Smith to "learn." Lulz)
Kansas City (QB situation is a little unsettled. Alex could compete).

*********

There you go. 10-11 teams that would/could use Alex Smith. The 4 bolded teams are teams I think Alex would/could definitely be a day 1 starter WITHOUT much, if any, competition.

This being said, I think it would be absolutely stupid for Alex to go anywhere. His best chance of long term success and a championship is here without a doubt.


Those "maybe's" are really pushing it. Those team's fans would riot if they replaced their quarterback with Alex Smith.
No WAY Oakland starts Smith over Palmer, after the trade they made.
Sanchez??? Smith replacing him in New York? Oh my god they would put Rex Ryan's head on a pike in Times Square.

Smith vs T Jack? Its possible. But they won't sign him to anything more than we would pay him.

Washington, Miami and Cleveland might give him a shot, but its not like they'll break the bank for him. They don't have the NFL's #1 defense, so they'll have to add a HECK of a lot of talent to support Smith.

Alex Smith isn't going ANYWHERE, and nobody is going to break the bank to pull him out of here.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Rumors were that Seattle and Oakland were pretty interested AFTER 2010. After a 14-4 campaign, I'd imagine they'd still be interested. Any of these teams would at least be interested in Alex Smith as a starter or compete for the starting job.

Cleveland (QB situation is shaky at best)
Miami (No QB)
Washington ( Smith vs Grossman/Beck)
Oakland (I don't think the rest of Oakland believes in Palmer as much as Hue Jackson did)
Seattle (Smith vs T Jack?)
Jets (I think Smith is better and more reliable than Sanchez).


Maybe:

Tampa Bay (QB situation isn't so concrete there anymore)
Chicago (someone needs to light a fire under Cutler)
Dallas (is Romo really the long term answer?)
Denver (two spread QBs competing. The irony of this one would be awesome. Tebow claims he WATCHED FILM on Alex Smith to "learn." Lulz)
Kansas City (QB situation is a little unsettled. Alex could compete).

*********

There you go. 10-11 teams that would/could use Alex Smith. The 4 bolded teams are teams I think Alex would/could definitely be a day 1 starter WITHOUT much, if any, competition.

This being said, I think it would be absolutely stupid for Alex to go anywhere. His best chance of long term success and a championship is here without a doubt.


Those "maybe's" are really pushing it. Those team's fans would riot if they replaced their quarterback with Alex Smith.
No WAY Oakland starts Smith over Palmer, after the trade they made.
Sanchez??? Smith replacing him in New York? Oh my god they would put Rex Ryan's head on a pike in Times Square.

Smith vs T Jack? Its possible. But they won't sign him to anything more than we would pay him.

Washington, Miami and Cleveland might give him a shot, but its not like they'll break the bank for him. They don't have the NFL's #1 defense, so they'll have to add a HECK of a lot of talent to support Smith.

Alex Smith isn't going ANYWHERE, and nobody is going to break the bank to pull him out of here.

Right. My point was that Smith would have a shot at those teams. Some longer shots than others. But the notion that "no one would want Smith besides SF" is ridiculous.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Right. My point was that Smith would have a shot at those teams. Some longer shots than others. But the notion that "no one would want Smith besides SF" is ridiculous.


Ridiculous--unless you still believe Smith peaked in 2006 and has gone down hill since. Honest evaluation would put Smith amoung the top ten QBs in the NFL with an unknown ceiling.

Could he become elite? Harbaugh has made every QB he has coached into a top rate QB at that level and I believe he will do the same with Smith. He will get back to the potential that a runner up Heisman, Bowl MVP, 21-1 college carrer record reflects. These are not good stats they are excellent stats and Harbaugh sees that in Smith, I trust he will get him back to that level.
Not sure if posted already..."greatest defensive effort in NFL playoff history"

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577179120491199182.html
[ Edited by phiLthyphiL on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM ]
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:
Not sure if posted already..."greatest defensive effort in NFL playoff history"

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577179120491199182.html


Great read, thanks!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Rumors were that Seattle and Oakland were pretty interested AFTER 2010. After a 14-4 campaign, I'd imagine they'd still be interested. Any of these teams would at least be interested in Alex Smith as a starter or compete for the starting job.

Cleveland (QB situation is shaky at best)
Miami (No QB)
Washington ( Smith vs Grossman/Beck)
Oakland (I don't think the rest of Oakland believes in Palmer as much as Hue Jackson did)
Seattle (Smith vs T Jack?)
Jets (I think Smith is better and more reliable than Sanchez).


Maybe:

Tampa Bay (QB situation isn't so concrete there anymore)
Chicago (someone needs to light a fire under Cutler)
Dallas (is Romo really the long term answer?)
Denver (two spread QBs competing. The irony of this one would be awesome. Tebow claims he WATCHED FILM on Alex Smith to "learn." Lulz)
Kansas City (QB situation is a little unsettled. Alex could compete).

*********

There you go. 10-11 teams that would/could use Alex Smith. The 4 bolded teams are teams I think Alex would/could definitely be a day 1 starter WITHOUT much, if any, competition.

This being said, I think it would be absolutely stupid for Alex to go anywhere. His best chance of long term success and a championship is here without a doubt.


Those "maybe's" are really pushing it. Those team's fans would riot if they replaced their quarterback with Alex Smith.
No WAY Oakland starts Smith over Palmer, after the trade they made.
Sanchez??? Smith replacing him in New York? Oh my god they would put Rex Ryan's head on a pike in Times Square.

Smith vs T Jack? Its possible. But they won't sign him to anything more than we would pay him.

Washington, Miami and Cleveland might give him a shot, but its not like they'll break the bank for him. They don't have the NFL's #1 defense, so they'll have to add a HECK of a lot of talent to support Smith.

Alex Smith isn't going ANYWHERE, and nobody is going to break the bank to pull him out of here.


you're flat out wrong that he wouldn't/might not beat out TJack, Sanchez, and Palmer. Both the Jets and Raiders would've made the playoffs with Alex as their QB IMO. I doubt he's going anywhere but he definitely outplayed those guys this year, plus is better than anything Washington, Miami, and Cleveland have to offer.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
you're flat out wrong that he wouldn't/might not beat out TJack, Sanchez, and Palmer. Both the Jets and Raiders would've made the playoffs with Alex as their QB IMO. I doubt he's going anywhere but he definitely outplayed those guys this year, plus is better than anything Washington, Miami, and Cleveland have to offer.


Not buying it. You can't discount the impact Harbaugh has had on Smith. Could you imagine him going to the Raiders and whats his face telling him to, "just sling it." Sounds like an epic fail.
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:
Not sure if posted already..."greatest defensive effort in NFL playoff history"

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577179120491199182.html

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not buying it. You can't discount the impact Harbaugh has had on Smith. Could you imagine him going to the Raiders and whats his face telling him to, "just sling it." Sounds like an epic fail.

Agreed.