There are 148 users in the forums

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

lol why dont you just make the poll say "Is Harbaugh better than Mariucci".

And please, stop bagging on George Seifert. he was a good coach. Walsh built a dynasty, but Seifert wouldnt have continued that dynasty for 8 more years if he wasnt good.

Funny how Seifert has a higher winning% and more wins as a 49er HC than Walsh does, but its dismissed so easily. just how you can like Montana AND Young, you can like Walsh AND Seifert. Walsh was clearly the better coach, but that doesnt mean Seifert was just the beneficiary of a good system. Seifert was an integral part of Walsh's staff from 80-88, and deserves some of the credit for building the dynasty as well.

the entire idea that he was just along for the ride on Walsh's team has always been ridiculous to me. regardless of who built the framework of the team, he still coached us to 2 Super Bowl titles, and 14-2 records in THREE of his 1st four seasons as HC. not even Walsh ever had that kind of success.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ersfansince90:
Originally posted by English:
No. Early days, though. Look at the inheritance they each enjoyed. And remember, this is HC only. Seifert's contribution to Walsh's teams gets my respect but is irrelevant here.

I understand that the talent Seifert had was tremendous with 4 HOFers and a very good TE. But this roster has some great talent as well. Right now we have the #1 back in franchise history, the Best LB in team history, a top 3 TE and D-Lineman in Niner history, 2 rising stars (Bowman and Aldon Smith). Not the big names of Joe, Steve, Ronnie and Jerry. But some very good ones. Gore and Willis could very well go on to be HOFers as well. The jury is still out. Seifert could have messed up and not won with that talent. Hell look at what Sing did last year with the same team?

You must be young, not that I'll hold that against you. I appreciate and share your enthusiasm.

However, as good as he is, Frank Gore does not measure up to Roger Craig as an all-round RB.

Overall, in terms of what a TE is to do, it is a wash between Vernon Davis and Brent Jones. Jones was one of the best I have ever seen at identifying weak areas of the zone, helping out his QB with excellent adjustments and making catches in the face of bone-jarring hits from defenders.

But all that isn't worth a big discussion. I like the talent on this team and we are blessed to have a coach with the vision and insight to turn this deal around.
He's certainly off to a very good start.
  • dj43
Originally posted by paulk205:
I can't believe the lack of respect of some people here for George. Apart from two rings and continuing to be a perennial contender despite Plan B free agency being specifically made to weaken teams like us, he was the DC for Walsh's great teams of the 80s as well. He was an awesome coach, and had we not choked the 90 NFC championship and robbed of the 92 one, he might very well have 4 rings right now. Was he as innovative as Walsh? No. But he was a wonderful HC and I miss those days.

Two things; many of the posters here were too young during the main years of Seifert to be able to appreciate him.

Second, Seifert was a great innovator. It is just that defensive innovations never get the same play as offensive ones. Among others, he brought in the Elephant position which is a bit like what Aldon Smith is running now. It allowed Haley to terrorize offenses. He used some zone blitzes before it even had a name - dropping DL into short zones. He also had the misfortune of coaching defense on a team that was changing the world offensively.
Originally posted by thedude:
Too soon to tell, but could be the best coach we've had since Walsh. I know I'll get lit up for this, but I was never a huge Siefert fan and felt he was mostly the recipient of Walsh's hand-me-downs and very aggressive free agent signings. I really liked Mariucci but think Harbaugh does have the ability to surpass him.

I share this feeling. I didn't think much of Seifert, and was glad to see him go. When Mooch was coach, I liked winning, but felt that he ran the ball too much. I don't follow college ball much, so I can't speak to Harbaugh's coaching ability before this August. Harbaugh possibly has what it takes to be Walsh-esque, but eight weeks into his first season is too soon to assess. Still, I like this topic. It's better than the usual Alex Smith vs Joe Montana B.S.
Originally posted by dj43:
You must be young, not that I'll hold that against you. I appreciate and share your enthusiasm.

However, as good as he is, Frank Gore does not measure up to Roger Craig as an all-round RB.

Overall, in terms of what a TE is to do, it is a wash between Vernon Davis and Brent Jones. Jones was one of the best I have ever seen at identifying weak areas of the zone, helping out his QB with excellent adjustments and making catches in the face of bone-jarring hits from defenders.

But all that isn't worth a big discussion. I like the talent on this team and we are blessed to have a coach with the vision and insight to turn this deal around.

Apples and Oranges my friend, it could be argued that they were not properly utilized by the previous regimes. Gore it may be argued did it with an inept team and coaching staff. The question is what would have Gore done on a team with Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor and Rathman, and a OL coach like Mac. Also, how would Craig do in Gore's shoe. Same with Vernon-Vernon is a better blocker and has more speed, although it may be argued Jones has better hands. Not to mention offensive phillosophy.
I wonder what this coaching staff would have done with the 2001/2002 teams. The talent on this team is better on defense, but on offense I'd say they had the better team.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WildBill:

Apples and Oranges my friend, it could be argued that they were not properly utilized by the previous regimes. Gore it may be argued did it with an inept team and coaching staff. The question is what would have Gore done on a team with Montana, Young, Rice, Taylor and Rathman, and a OL coach like Mac. Also, how would Craig do in Gore's shoe. Same with Vernon-Vernon is a better blocker and has more speed, although it may be argued Jones has better hands. Not to mention offensive phillosophy.

And that is the problem comparing players from different teams and situations, even eras.

Joe Perry was the best pure running back this team has ever had. He played at a time when there were fewer teams and the talent was not as diluted as it is now. He had power and speed as well as a smooth, easy running style. And the team was not always winning then either. Does that make him better than Gore? Not really but it points out the problem.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I wonder what this coaching staff would have done with the 2001/2002 teams. The talent on this team is better on defense, but on offense I'd say they had the better team.

I dont know what they are going to do with this team!! I dont think we will see what the potential of this team is until next year.
And that is the problem comparing players from different teams and situations, even eras.

Joe Perry was the best pure running back this team has ever had. He played at a time when there were fewer teams and the talent was not as diluted as it is now. He had power and speed as well as a smooth, easy running style. And the team was not always winning then either. Does that make him better than Gore? Not really but it points out the problem.

The other thing is that gore, if he plays two more seasons, should reach 10K in yards rushing barring injury, not an easy task and certainly worthy or Hall of Fame consdieration.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

I dont know what they are going to do with this team!! I dont think we will see what the potential of this team is until next year.

Exactly
He is the best coach since........... Bill Walsh. George did an excellent job taking over a great team and winning 2 Superbowls. BUT, he never took a team that was losing and turned them around the way Harbaugh has. He failed miserably in Carolina in his only attempt to do that. George was a good Head Coach that was in the right place at the right time with great players. Harbaugh is going to be special in this league in my opinion.
Great start, but WAY to early to tell.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WildBill:

The other thing is that gore, if he plays two more seasons, should reach 10K in yards rushing barring injury, not an easy task and certainly worthy or Hall of Fame consdieration.
And he would join Joe the Jet in the HOF.
Time will tell
Share 49ersWebzone