There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

College coaches never work in the pros! Luck-ily he is the exception.
harbaugh has won at each stop. taken a loser and made a winner. very good coach. the real question is can he be the greatest niner coach ever?
He's the best since Bill Walsh. Siefert I like but realistically he inherited a heck of a team. Not taking anything away. But Harbaugh is special IMO. He does an incredible amount with what he has to work with.
Originally posted by dj43:
Seifert was very good. Walsh called him one of the best defensive minds he had ever seen.

Perhaps Seifert's greatest strength (and one Nolan/Singletary lacked) was the ability and the will to turn over the offense to guys like Shanahan and stay out of their way. Still, like Steve Young, he will never get his just here due because he followed a legend who turned around a bumbling franchise. Walsh followed a couple of total incompetents named McCulley and Meyer where Seifert followed Walsh. Seifert was a very good caretaker and was smart enough to not mess with the winning formula.

Harbaugh is more in the position of Walsh and will likely get crazy support in this thread because of the contrast between him and Nolan/Sing. I have no problem with that as I see Harbaugh making many good decisions, not only in game planning and play calling, but in recognition of talent. Does that make him better than Seifert? I don't know. It is too soon to tell...and I don't really care as long as the team continues to improve.
Very good points, Harbaugh is in a better situation than Seifert because he's not following a legend - but he's also inheriting a team with a history and culture of losing and turning them around overnight. Harbaugh has a ways to go (and probably needs a ring before this becomes a true comparison). But when I see the talent we had in the early 90's it still frustrates me we couldn't ever get past the Cowboys and Packers except for one year when we just signed every name in free agency. Regardless, I agree with your last point - doesn't matter as long as we keep winning...and discussing this is a hell of a lot funner than comparing Singletary to Erickson!
  • lyer
  • Veteran
i loved mooch, its too early to say if he's better than him. but he's def better than our last three coaches.
Originally posted by lyer:
i loved mooch, its too early to say if he's better than him. but he's def better than our last three coaches.

I loved Mooch to, but that '97 team should have been a Superbowl team.

I'm to young to really remember Bill Walsh. Honestly I think Siefert was an average coach, with a great team. I believe Harbaugh will be one of the greats, but he's not there yet.
Originally posted by susweel:
No doubt in my mind.

JH coach of the year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The man is doing an AMAZING job.

Hey Webbie are we having some issues with your site? This post CAN'T be right.
I lived through Walsh, Siefert, Mooch and all the clowns after Mooch.

Honestly I'd put him just below Mooch. I think he will pass Mooch and Siefert soon but we are only 7 games into the season. Lets get to the playoffs and get through the first year before we crown him 2nd best.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I lived through Walsh, Siefert, Mooch and all the clowns after Mooch.

Honestly I'd put him just below Mooch. I think he will pass Mooch and Siefert soon but we are only 7 games into the season. Lets get to the playoffs and get through the first year before we crown him 2nd best.

I'd crown him 2nd best right now. What he has done is unreal. Just unreal.
While JH has started great with a closet that is not as talent rich as Seifert's, until he wins two rings it is too early to compare. Carolina is apple and oranges, even a good coach needs talent. Also, yes Seifert was given a talented team, but it is like the lakers, they had Kolbe and Shaq, but until phil jackson got there, they were underachieving.
Siefert won two rings with completely different casts, minus the fumble he would have had three. Keep in mind he followed arguably the greatest coach in NFL history and didn't miss a beat. I'd place Harbaugh above Mooch, and the others.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Siefert won two rings with completely different casts, minus the fumble he would have had three. Keep in mind he followed arguably the greatest coach in NFL history and didn't miss a beat. I'd place Harbaugh above Mooch, and the others.

But when he didn't have the advantage of the Walsh inheritance? Not so good.
Originally posted by English:
No. Early days, though. Look at the inheritance they each enjoyed. And remember, this is HC only. Seifert's contribution to Walsh's teams gets my respect but is irrelevant here.

I understand that the talent Seifert had was tremendous with 4 HOFers and a very good TE. But this roster has some great talent as well. Right now we have the #1 back in franchise history, the Best LB in team history, a top 3 TE and D-Lineman in Niner history, 2 rising stars (Bowman and Aldon Smith). Not the big names of Joe, Steve, Ronnie and Jerry. But some very good ones. Gore and Willis could very well go on to be HOFers as well. The jury is still out. Seifert could have messed up and not won with that talent. Hell look at what Sing did last year with the same team?
Originally posted by 49ersfansince90:
Originally posted by English:
No. Early days, though. Look at the inheritance they each enjoyed. And remember, this is HC only. Seifert's contribution to Walsh's teams gets my respect but is irrelevant here.

I understand that the talent Seifert had was tremendous with 4 HOFers and a very good TE. But this roster has some great talent as well. Right now we have the #1 back in franchise history, the Best LB in team history, a top 3 TE and D-Lineman in Niner history, 2 rising stars (Bowman and Aldon Smith). Not the big names of Joe, Steve, Ronnie and Jerry. But some very good ones. Gore and Willis could very well go on to be HOFers as well. The jury is still out. Seifert could have messed up and not won with that talent. Hell look at what Sing did last year with the same team?
I don't think he's comparing Seifert to Singletary. In my opinion Seifert was a GOOD coach with a GREAT TEAM that was already trained to win when he took the helm. Any assistant who could hang with Walsh for that length of time had to be worth something, and no doubt he contributed to championships prior to taking the HC role. This is a difficult comparison because you can't really compare what Seifert was given to what Harbaugh had to work with this year. The best comparison that can be drawn is what Seifert did in Carolina versus what Harbaugh is doing here - and Harbugh definitely has the edge there (although our talent level is probably better than those Panther teams so it's still a tough comparison). But I mean no disrespect to Seifert, regardless of the means he brought us two rings and for that I'm grateful.
Walsh, Harbaugh, Seifert, Mooch.