LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Originally posted by okdkid:
We are watching one of the best single season coaching performances in NFL history.

This is easily becoming fact; a rookie coach (everybody doubted; from college ranks) coming in with only 2 weeks to install his system/mentality/personality, and mesh the team with the rest of his coaching staff (all those other personalities), and take a team to not only 6-1, but to coach/prepare them for winning games they haven't consistently won in 8-10 years (Eastern-time road games; trap games, comebacks)... it's just unheard of.

Oh, and he has that Alex Smith kid playing like nobody would have ever imagined... so if we make the playoffs, Jim is a lock for coach of the year.
I think the true color of a coach comes out when they are no longer under the Walsh influence.

Seifert inheirited a championship team from Walsh. He didn't have to build anything. It was already in place. Now, to be honest, he did make the smart move by not changing a thing. You don't fix what ain't broke -- and you've got to give Seifert credit. He didn't attempt to put his "stamp" on the team. He just ran what worked and it did work for nearly another decade.

But when he tried to duplicate that success later at Carolina -- he flopped. This tells me that he couldn't do it on his own. The Walsh influence loomed large. Without Walsh, Seifert was exposed for the coach he really was.

Mooch also benefit from Walsh. Remember, it was Eddie D. who brought Walsh back to rebuild the team after we fell flat on our collective faces when Steve Young went down with his final concussion. We struggled mightly after that. But Walsh pulled some strings, pulled off some great drafts, found a QB that nobody wanted from the CFL, and we got the ball rolling again. It wasn't a championship-quality rebuild, but it at least put us back into the playoff picture. It's a credit to Mooch that he was the coach of the team that Walsh re-built, and he pulled off some memorable seasons.

But Mooch couldn't reproduce that success in Detroit. In fact, he fell flat on his keester. Without the Walsh influence? Mooch was lost.

It's my opinion that Mooch was plucked from the coaching ranks a wee bit early. What did he have? One season at Cal?
I won't take anything away from Seifert he was a good coach and he had a big hand in some of our rings. I think it's too early in the season for any annointing just yet , but Harbaugh has had very little time with these players and he has turned aroung a losing culture so far. Harbaugh and his coaches have definitely been very creative so far.

A very strong candidate for coach of the year.
Possible. Mooch wasn't a bad coach, just had no killer instinct. We just didn't put people away, and we packed it in too often way too early. The half-time "give-up" with PLENTY of time to go against Tampa was the final straw for fans. I liked Mooch, but that embarrassed me as a 49ers fan. I expect so much more than that.
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
A wet rug is better than Seifert.

If Harbaugh keeps this up, he'll be the best coach since Bill Walsh.

Seifert didn't have to turn around a culture of losing like Harbaugh has. This puts him into the Walsh conversation in my opinion. Plus, Seifert just ran the Walsh WCO. He didn't change anything. He also didn't bring anything new to the table. We were lucky to win that final Super Bowl, and it's only after Eddie D. violated the salary cap in a big way to bolster the defense with free agent signings that we did win.

Seifert's true colors as a coach were exposed when he went to Carolina and took an average team and ran it straight into the ground.

It's way too early to proclaim Harbaugh as the second coming of Walsh. But he is opening some eyes around the league.
this
  • dj43
I think the true color of a coach comes out when they are no longer under the Walsh influence.

Seifert inheirited a championship team from Walsh. He didn't have to build anything. It was already in place. Now, to be honest, he did make the smart move by not changing a thing. You don't fix what ain't broke -- and you've got to give Seifert credit. He didn't attempt to put his "stamp" on the team. He just ran what worked and it did work for nearly another decade.

But when he tried to duplicate that success later at Carolina -- he flopped. This tells me that he couldn't do it on his own. The Walsh influence loomed large. Without Walsh, Seifert was exposed for the coach he really was.

Mooch also benefit from Walsh. Remember, it was Eddie D. who brought Walsh back to rebuild the team after we fell flat on our collective faces when Steve Young went down with his final concussion. We struggled mightly after that. But Walsh pulled some strings, pulled off some great drafts, found a QB that nobody wanted from the CFL, and we got the ball rolling again. It wasn't a championship-quality rebuild, but it at least put us back into the playoff picture. It's a credit to Mooch that he was the coach of the team that Walsh re-built, and he pulled off some memorable seasons.

But Mooch couldn't reproduce that success in Detroit. In fact, he fell flat on his keester. Without the Walsh influence? Mooch was lost.

It's my opinion that Mooch was plucked from the coaching ranks a wee bit early. What did he have? One season at Cal?

Seifert had a lot of barriers to success in Carolina but it isn't worth the time to go into it now. I just remember all the defensive innovations he brought to those "Walsh" teams such as the Elephant formation that allowed Charles Haley to become the outstanding performer he was. Walsh's offense would not have had near the number of opportunities to perform if Seifert's defense had not been so good.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by TimeBandit:
Originally posted by TimeBandit:
Seifert sucked.

Ya know I have been a Niner fan since 79 and followed this site an kept my mouth shut for along time. I know this will turn into a stupid argument to which ther is only one out come. But this makes me sick and disgusted with somenof our fans! George was amazing for us every second he worked for the Niners and even a huge fan before his employment! He was walshes constant and only lasting right hand man during Bills work here and only has one less ring! Ther is to much to say here but I will not leave without saying anyone who thinks Siefert sucked or wasn't out last great coach is a complete and utter loser and not a niner fan but someone who has no grip on reality at all!!

I am glad my joke made you sit and upset. lol

Ah you got me all fired up lol:-) no worries I thought you were serious!

Nope, he was handed a force with Walsh but he did a pretty damn good job maintaining it. Plus his years as DB coach and Def Cord were very impressive.

If I'm not mistaken he was with the 49ers at some level for every Superbowl win.

You arent mistaken, but he will miss out on the next one.
Count me in the Too-Early-To-Tell group. This has mainly to do with wanting to see the winning continue. I agree with most(if not all) the positive points listed here in support of Harbaugh's rank among 49er coaches. However, this is a franchise that experienced nearly two decades worth of dominance in the NFL, and Seifert and Mooch were a part of that. Can Harbaugh bring this team all the way back to the point where we are a good team, each and every year? I think he can, but I'll wait and see before I decide on his place in the ranks of all time Niners coaches.

I do, however, agree with the poster that said this is one of the finest coaching performances for a single season, and, barring a McDaniel-esque collapse, Harbaugh should be a lock for COY.

McDaniel. Boy, I remember when some of us(myself included) were interested in bringing him here. Phew, dodged a bullet on that one.
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
A wet rug is better than Seifert.

If Harbaugh keeps this up, he'll be the best coach since Bill Walsh.

Seifert didn't have to turn around a culture of losing like Harbaugh has. This puts him into the Walsh conversation in my opinion. Plus, Seifert just ran the Walsh WCO. He didn't change anything. He also didn't bring anything new to the table. We were lucky to win that final Super Bowl, and it's only after Eddie D. violated the salary cap in a big way to bolster the defense with free agent signings that we did win.

Seifert's true colors as a coach were exposed when he went to Carolina and took an average team and ran it straight into the ground.

It's way too early to proclaim Harbaugh as the second coming of Walsh. But he is opening some eyes around the league.
this

^ someone let left the door open at the mental ward!! Exposed!! What a joke! We have five rings and he was involved big in all of them. Walsh didn't do defense I believe. He went to Carolina which had nothing and sure he wasn't succesful ther but to call him a fraud or bad coach! Jc you are and will never be as crimson and gold as George ever! Harbaugh might and hooeefully will end up the best coach since walsh but I'm not gonna trash Seifert to prove it. The legacy our team has and the rings he was coaching our D:-).
Seifert was good and so was Marriuchi, but Harbaugh IMO is the best coach since Bill Walsh............ The entire coaching staff has been awesome so far.........

He's the best since Walsh. I've got lots of love for Seifert, but no way Seifert could get this team to 6-1. Seifert won two Superbowls but he also inherited maybe the best roster in the history of the NFL and was the beneficiary of Eddie D's big spending when the salary cap was new and a team could actually gain a talent advantage by spending big in free agency and prorating signing bonuses.

Harbaugh inherited what most analysts would have called, prior the season, a bottom 5 or certainly a bottom 10 roster in today's NFL. He's gotten that same roster to the second best record in football at the midway point of his first season, with no splashy free agents signings. That's absurdly difficult. It's early in Harbaugh's NFL career, but right now, he's out coaching the world. Only Walsh has done more with this team in my lifetime.
Seifert was like the John Gruden....let Dungy(Walsh) make and coach the team, then take over and collect the spoils....
  • titan
  • Veteran
^Dungy is no better than Gruden, that was Moras creation.
IMO, Harbaugh is the best coach since Walsh. I loved George Seifert, but as a defensive coach, Seifert had a common problem. Each time his team led the NFL in offense and won a title, Holmgren the first time and then Shanny, another franchise lured the offensive coordinator away to be head coach. When the head coach is the one with the offensive system, you don't really have to face that problem. Offense requires order, consistency and time, much more so than defense. And, keep in mind that as good as Seifert was, he was basically still working with the team that Walsh built. Plus, Harbaugh is the first HC since Walsh to actively scheme for the next opponent - to fashion his game plan to attack the weakness in the opposing teams defensive system. Harbaugh is also the most innovative coach we've had since Walsh and, as I keep pointing out, sat with Walsh for Walsh's last couple of years getting lots of ideas from him.
Harbaugh is probably the best coach since Walsh because I don't see any of his players throwing s**tty wads of TP at him
Share 49ersWebzone