There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are we wearing our players out?

Are we wearing our players out?

• Chico
  • Veteran
* Here's the rundown of Niners who have played at least 100 defensive snaps this season. The data was provided by Pro Football Focus:

CB Tarell Brown: 414 of 416 (99.5 percent)

LB Patrick Willis: 410 (98.6)

CB Carlos Rogers: 409 (98.3)

Note: Willis missed his six plays at the end of the 48-3 win against Tampa Bay.

LB NaVorro Bowman: 406 (97.6)

LB Ahmad Brooks: 398 (95.7)

DT Justin Smith: 392 (94.2)

DT Ray McDonald: 390 (93.8)

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/10/28/iron-man-justin-smith-showing-even-more-stamina-at-32/

I was just reading this article on the amount of playing time our defensive players are playing. As happy as i am to see them build continuity, i'm worried that they're going to burn out come playoff time. do you think we're overplaying them?
No
You play to win the game.

Can't count on playoffs if the team ain't winning
No. I would bet the defense is in the top ten in terms of fewest plays from scrimmage. Playing two 3 & out's is less wear than a single 6 play series, for example.
No,

Awsome players can't help the team win if they arn't in the game... Players like these are why were winning.
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/28/4013069/49ers-notes-the-defense-rests.html

Per Lord Fangio himself...

This isn't baseball or basketball where the same guys play an entire game. Offensive and defensive players come off the field for rest regularly as possessions change. Most football players, assuming they stay healthy, should be playing nearly all of the available snaps.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I worry about Gore more than the defense. Hunter should see a bit more time so Frank is fresh at the end of the year.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
This isn't baseball or basketball where the same guys play an entire game. Offensive and defensive players come off the field for rest regularly as possessions change. Most football players, assuming they stay healthy, should be playing nearly all of the available snaps.

this. And people who dont go to games often dont understand the time it takes for tv timeouts, etc.

Not worried.
These guys are professional athletes.....worn out shouldnt be in their vocabulary....
Nope, no more Nutcrackers.
Remember they were talking about the Lions' defensive line. How they have really good rotation. And their guys will be fresh going against our offensive line. Their awesomeness would make our offensive line crawl up in a fetal position and whimper like little girls. Yeah, what happened....

We need depth with our backups if there's injuries, but our guys will be fine play full 60 minutes
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:57 AM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Basketball players sub out a lot....All-star players like Dirk and D-Wade might get 30 mins out of the 48. I don't follow baseball AT ALL so I can't comment on that. Either way my answer is no, I don't think players like Dobbs or Tukuafu should get anymore than 5 snaps a game.
[ Edited by VaNiner540 on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM ]
this aint baseballs jr.
No, the Niners are wearing other teams out.