There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dilfer: "Baalke smartest football man in the league"

I remember Dilfer gushing about the 49ers selections on draft day. I was pretty disappointed in the picks at the time so it sticks in my mind. It did seem biased to me at the time but the way the rookies are contributing makes him look pretty smart.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I don't know about whether or not he's the smartest, there are many great minds in the nfl. The thing about Baalke is he looks like a genius when he has a good coach and looks like a total tool when he doesn't. The reason behind that is he basically was hired because he had a vision that won't clash with any head coaches- he basically collaborates with them and builds the team that the head coach envisions.(and for the defense, what fangio wants).

-Singletary wanted a power run game, Baalke drafts two o-linemen so that we can get better blocks for gore. He then lets sing pretty much hand-pick Mays as well, who was supposed to be a fast "hit em in the mouf" type of guy. Davis struggles his first year, making many question baalke moving up to get him, and mays sucked and got cut this year.

-Harbaugh comes in(baalke letting jim have so much control had to be an influence in getting him) I'm sure if jim wanted a 1st round qb baalke would have gone for whoever he wanted. But with their plan to keep alex as a stopgap it made sense to let fangio have his weapon, whoever gets credit for liking aldon in the draft room is looking like a genius. Baalke is a former scout so he should get some credit but you never know if it was fangio himself who saw aldon and said "hey that guy reminds me of Ware" or something lol.
I think Baalke lines up the draft board and then tells the coaches this is the order, then when it comes to their time he asks, so can you use this guy? Also, which way do you want to go? Then he makes it happen if it is reasonable, if not JH and staff understand when he tells them, the dips**ts want this for that-not worth it, they agree.

In other words they work together. I think Harbaugh and company tell him who they'd like to have from his board and he makes it happen, like they are really sure they like Kaep or Dalton- Ballke makes it happen. Team! No I in team.

Ballke is no slouch-during the bye week he himself was out scouting.
He has certainly started to establish himself among the best right now. I think he has the brightest future as well. There was a recent article out about how he spends over half the week scouting college players, and the other days scouting the teams next opponent. He said he watches their 3 previous games.

He is definitely working towards being the best, and I'm glad we have a guy who loves football as much as he does

LINK
its weird how much Trent Dilfer loves the 49ers. It kind of makes me uncomfortable.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Dilfer is a moron

Yeah, I rather get my analysts from niner fans, since they have won super bowls and played in the NFL.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
its weird how much Trent Dilfer loves the 49ers. It kind of makes me uncomfortable.

This, He is such a homer I dont take what he says serious, its nice to hear him orgasm when talking about us though
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

This, He is such a homer I dont take what he says serious, its nice to hear him orgasm when talking about us though

its especially strange considering how loudly Niner fans at the Stick cheered when he got the concussion that ended his career. lol.
Trent Dilfer = Mr. Hyperbole
Originally posted by RayWersching:
I remember Dilfer gushing about the 49ers selections on draft day. I was pretty disappointed in the picks at the time so it sticks in my mind. It did seem biased to me at the time but the way the rookies are contributing makes him look pretty smart.

You can't compare Baalke or the organization with the Patriots until we do it for 5-6 years straight. Saying he had the best offseason of any executive wouldn't be too far off, but saying we will be great for a half decade or more is too soon.
During the same interview yesterday Dilfer said Aldon Smith is having the best rookie season as a DE in the past 10 years, on a per snap basis.
Originally posted by genus49:
Don't care who says what, results speak for themselves. This team is definitely headed in the right direction.

Let's look at the offseason under Trent as GM.

Coaching hires:
Jim Harbaugh is on track for COTY and this team has done a complete 180 from last year with mostly the same roster. The game planning and the way the team works together has been completely changed and this will lead not only to wins but potential free agents wanting to come here and play for these coaches. Roman and Fangio have been tremendous as well. Great coaching hires all the way around.

Draft:
I liked our draft but felt they were drafting for the future since guys like Aldon, Kaepernick, Culliver, Miller, Kilgore and Pearson were raw or projects who wouldn't contribute much right away. To see them contribute as much as they have so quickly has been a huge and pleasant surprise.

What this draft also shows is how well the coach and GM work together. This has been missing from this franchise for a while now. We were drafting the biggest and strongest players but couldn't get them coached up and placed into positions where they can succeed on the field. It started pretty quickly with Alex Smith - I never did understand drafting a spread QB and then having him be a game manager only.

Free Agency:
Many people complained about the inactivity or failure to get the big names...some people were flat our furious. End result?
upgrade at ILB - we all thought Spikes leaving was a huge loss but Bowman has stepped up to say the least. Addition by subtraction in a way. We improved at the position and didn't fall victim to spending too much money on an aging player.
upgrade at CB - Nate wouldn't take the pay cut so he went. Carlos Rogers has been playing terrific ball. The only bad thing about his deal was it was a 1 year deal.
upgrade at WR(?) - talk about a cheap deal for Edwards. He's been hurt but the talent is clearly there. Hopefully he comes back strong and earns that tiny contract.
upgrade at S - Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson have been playing very well when out there together. Niners called Dashon's bluff and won.

Other guys have been contributing who weren't huge splashes in free agency. Really was there a single player signed who didn't work out?

People were b***hing about letting Franklin walk and re-signing McDonald to the money deal he got...well Ray Mac has been playing great and the DL is better than last year.

It will be tough to duplicate this offseason but if Baalke continues to hit on even 60% of this offseason we'll have many years of success in our future. Especially if we find our QBotF
Don't forget he also ran last years draft outside of Singletarys Mays pick, he also got A.Davis,Iupati, Bowman,Williams,and Bynam (who I think would be having a big year in Harbaughs offense) also Philip Adams he looked good but that bad ankle injury really set him back.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Baalke has done extremely well for some time now. It is getting more difficult to refute claims like this.

agree
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
This morning on Colin Cowherd's show Dilfer again praised Baalke, stated again that he's the runaway winner for the executive of the year award, and that even beyond Holmgren, Dungy and other brilliant football minds he's been around, Baalke is at the very top of the list. Guarantees we are going to be Patriotesque for the next decade because of him. He's kind of a niner homer, but it's nice to hear.

Thoughts?

MadDog, disagrees.......

LMAO @ maddog, he's always an egotistical idiot that NEVER admits when he's wrong. If he was GM, we would have Derek Smith still playing ILB for us with Adam Carriker, Eric Heitmann on our DL annually. Ahmad Brooks, Soapoaga, and other starters would've been cut by the fool and many more dumbass moves

What a joke he is
[ Edited by kronik on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
This morning on Colin Cowherd's show Dilfer again praised Baalke, stated again that he's the runaway winner for the executive of the year award, and that even beyond Holmgren, Dungy and other brilliant football minds he's been around, Baalke is at the very top of the list. Guarantees we are going to be Patriotesque for the next decade because of him. He's kind of a niner homer, but it's nice to hear.

Thoughts?

MadDog, disagrees.......

LMAO @ maddog, he's always an egotistical idiot that NEVER admits when he's wrong. If he was GM, we would have Derek Smith still playing ILB for us with Adam Carriker, Eric Heitmann on our DL annually. Ahmad Brooks would've been cut by the fool and many more dumbass moves

What a joke he is

I think that's true of all of us except for maybe NinerGM. The only difference is he wont admit it.