LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Dilfer: "Baalke smartest football man in the league"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Actually, I was laughing the whole time. You were not the object of this post, which I altered while you were posting this. You would have to admit, the level of anger directed toward me is either disturbing or hilarious. I always ask if Baalke is a relative, because I cannot think of one individual I would defend to the death like some defend the Great One.

Yes it is, but you know that you intentionally tweak people to get a response, hence the venom directed at you. You are a smart guy and know exactly what you are doing. Trust me, I do it to people all the time. We can smell our own
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Yes it is, but you know that you intentionally tweak people to get a response, hence the venom directed at you. You are a smart guy and know exactly what you are doing. Trust me, I do it to people all the time. We can smell our own

My thoughts toward the way Baalke handles things is authentic. From shifting the blame of last year's pick of Mays to Singletary, to the mass email to NFL clubs about a Mays trade, to the handling of Gore this offseason. I just don't think he is a very good executive. If people get inflamed by this, I can't control their emotions.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

My thoughts toward the way Baalke handles things is authentic. From shifting the blame of last year's pick of Mays to Singletary, to the mass email to NFL clubs about a Mays trade, to the handling of Gore this offseason. I just don't think he is a very good executive. If people get inflamed by this, I can't control their emotions.

Hey a Maddog sighting, where you been ??

Dudes have been calling you lately.
Trent Dilfer provides the cosmic balance for the existence of MadDog.
Lot to discuss. I will attempt to be brief. The only person held accountable for not being 100%, by some on the board, is me. Some people will drag stuff out from 5 years ago and attempt to discredit me. They will do the same in 2011 when I gave Aldon Smith a C grade in my post-draft write up. You are right. Nobody is 100% accurate. The reason I bring up Mays is all the hang-wringing that took place on the board when it was stated that Baalke had the last call on the Mays pick. It was his call, the beat writers have stated this, but for many, all the blame falls on Singletary. The pattern of hang-wringing on behalf of Baalke is nauseating to me. Just accept that he missed, and move on. I'm glad you are one stand-up person who can.

As stated with AD and CK, nobody knows who will be the better pro "long term", as I keep repeating to some on this board. Right now, it appears AD is the better player, as he is playing at a pretty high level already as a starter. CK will need to really step up his game to match Dalton. This also goes for A. Smith and Watt, who are both off to good starts, but one or the other, or both, may end stinking in the end. I am not asking people to shower compliments on me for Watt, nor am I asking for the angry responses in regards to Smith. It is simply too early in the game for people to play the "Aha" game, or for me to call "victory". Plus, this is silly game playing, I believe I have outgrown that phase of my life, and I have better uses for my time.

As stated before, the Niners have made some moves up the board in the draft. I'm not so sure moving up from 13 to 11 is a really bold move, nor nine slots to pick CK (there was nobody left on the board to take at QB, so they were forced to move up...the next QB selected was Mallett with the 74th pick). I did salute Baalke's approach to make these moves (even though I had Mike Iupati and Dez Bryant as the top players on the board when the team selected), and wish he took the same way approach in free agency. To sit back and wait until the market dries out is not a winning proposition long-term. Over time, this strategy will land the team a host of mediocre players. At some point, you have to make a splash to get game-changing talent. Justin Smith was a splash. Nate Clements was a splash. Both guys were significant upgrades over previous players, and Smith is still a terrific talent. Under Baalke's approach, we would not have him on our roster. The Niners, under Baalke, do not seemed inclined to pay this form of money for specific talent, and I think have a roster of lower-level and mid-level players is not going to put the team, long-term in a positive direction. Let's visit this after free agency this year, and down the road.

Well, so far this year Ballke's moves for the 49ers have turned out to be very good (and if Kaep turns out to be the QB of the future along with one of the O-linemen becoming a starter it will turn out to be great. Along with last years moves on a limited time (remember he was thrust into it in the last minute. I prefer Baalke's approach of trying to work with the coachs on who they want. Yes he had final say, but in the case of Mays, he tried to warn Sing that it was the wrong choice, again, he is trying to work with the coach. That is what makes the pairing of Baalke and JH and his staff great and one of the reasons why JH took the job. He knew he could work with and trust Baalke. (That and staying in the Bay area, 5+ mil, and a team that compared to others already had some good talent.

As for Andy Dalton-they had to start him by default, they had no choice. Saying a player was a better choice just because they are starting is incorrect. Alex and Aaron is a good example. The same can be said about the QBs drafted ahead of Montana or Brady. The problem people are having with you is that you come across as pompus when you chastise the others and GM like your way is the only way and everybody else is wrong, you may not mean it, but that is how your writing comes across. Example: I would have prefered XXX because XXX, I am not sure if ....... also in the case of Aldon Smith you talk about overreaching, but never do you take into account and acknowledged that the niners tried to move back a little, but couldn't, instead you belittle those and Baalke for not doing anything. As far as Watt goes-they are thus not even close, Smith has people talking about him-haven't heard a peep or praise of the same ilk when comparing the two-so far not even close.

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion, which could end up being valid. While I am not ready to crown him after 6 games, I have been more then pleased with how he seems to be handling things. I think the Mays fiasco isn't as black and white as you would like to make it out though. Yes, technically Baalke had final say on the draft, but we all know that didn't mean squat. Scott and the Niners had just parted ways and Baalke was thrown into the GM role right about the time the draft rolled around. Not to mention we all know how much power Singletary wielded, so it does not surprise me that he deferred to him. Now if he pulled something like that a year or two into his tenure, I would have more of a problem with it. I will just chalk Mays up to the insanity that was the Singletary era.

As far as the FA's, I personally loved the route he took. Patience is a virtue and I think Baalke exhibited that. Yes, the name Nnamdi got me all excited, but it just was not a practical move to sink that much money into 1 guy. And from what I have read, the interest really wasn't as heavy as the media was making it out to be. In fact Nnamdi himself said he never had any direct contact with the Niners. The 1 year deals could end up hurting us like you said, but I don't think it will, as we are in pretty good shape in terms of the salary cap going forward.

Regarding the draft, I really don't know how much interest there was in Peterson, but it just would not have been wise to trade away a ton of picks for 1 player, a DB no less, unless that player is a Manning, Luck etc. type player. From what I read, they had significant interest in Smith for sometime, so much so that NE and HOU were trying to trade up to get him. Personally, I think Smith was the Niner's guy all along. I don't know that to be fact, just my feeling. It was also reported that the Niner's did not have enough interest in Dalton to trade for him and that CK was their guy.

In the end most of this is just speculation on our end. The real judgment will come over a much longer period of time than 6 games. I want to see how this franchise is run over the course of the next decade. The true mark of success is when someone can sustain that success over an extended period of time.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Oct 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM ]

Fair enough. Moving on. We're 5-1 through what is probably our toughest stretch of the regular season and getting primed to rip the division apart. Let's ALL just enjoy the ride.

How smart,How lucky, how whatever, Mr.Baalke has been, I for one don't know.
"bout all I can tell from my limited view is that He seem's to be a Very Hard Worker, and that
is a underappreciated quality by some. Coach Hand Shake Also.
It is a smart approach if it works, and as you and I both state, it is really early in the game. To early for some to declare that Baalke is a genius or the Smartest man in the NFL. That is my point.

Yes, its too early to declare Baalke a genius...but its also too early to say Baalke isn't a capable football executive. SO FAR, Baalke has made more positive moves than negative. Nobody is saying Baalke is the greatest GM (except maybe Dilfer lol) or he will be the greatest in the future...people are saying that he is doing a good job up to this point. Predictions for the future are just that...PREDICTIONS. What we can judge now is current performance. As of right now, can you really argue that Baalke isn't doing a good job? We're 5-1 and his acquisitions (coach & players) have made immediate contributions. Thats fine if your predictions are based on the long-term, but thats based on the WHAT IFS instead of WHAT IS. Baalke's moves could turn out bad in the future...we DON'T know that. However, Baalke's moves look good now...we DO know that.

As stated before, it doesn't take a really smart guy to wade through the list of available, leftover free agents and select the top guy left over. The harder work is getting the guy you wanted in the first place. Note: The Niners signed Carlos Rogers on August 3. Richard Marshall was signed on July 31, and Chris Carr on July 30. So, neither guy was avaliable when the Niners made their selection, which also included guys they did target and try to sign: Nnamdi and Johnathan Joseph.

(I was wrong about the CB availability there, sorry about that)

We know when these players were SIGNED, but we don't know when a contract was originally OFFERED. You have to consider the fact that free agents can choose to wait for better offers. You don't know when the Niners started negotiating with Rogers. He was signed on August 3, but the team could have expressed interest way before that day (and before Marshall and Carr were signed). Therefore, how can you say they were only interested because he was the only one left?

You said Baalke was lucky and got guys by accident. This is only valid if:
1) You know who the Niners targeted and what order the players were in
2) You know WHEN negotiations took place

If you don't know any of the above, then your statement is meaningless. You claim Rogers was like the 8th best FA CB...did Baalke feel that way too? Unless you know for sure, it doesn't matter.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Trent Dilfer just watched moneyball and now thinks balk ain't got nothing on the greatest GM ever, brad Pitt.

BTW MD, for Baalke to get "lucky" their must be some real crap GMs who picked the lesser talents before Baalkes pick. Where does that put their decision making on the totem pole?

Also, you of all people should not be mentioning that six games or any number of games as a measurement of success or non success. You of all people should know that a player can be evaluated by how he plays rather than the stats produced in any number of games.

So far, Aldon Smith has displayed impressive arm speed, power, and assortment of technique while rushing the passer. Other rookies have done the same at their positions yet you, a person who scouts these displays weighing higher than stats and other things should know better.
You based your entire evaluation of Brooks on a subjective measurement which was that you felt he would f**k up. That is not very credible in most cases.

Too bad you don't give credit to what Baalkes selections/free agents HAVE done over stubbornly and improbably stating what they still have a chance at not doing. One is cold hard fact and the other is pure subjective prediction.

Teams that continually are drafting in front of the Niners do have a poor history in talent evaluation, so it no shock that some of the guys that others bypassed may now have regret over choices made. Does this make Baalke a genius or someone that is the smartest man in the league? No. It just means there are a lot of meatheads out there. Hence the statement I made before, Not the smartest, and certainly not the dumbest.

My evaluation on Brooks is that he was a colossal failure in Cincinnati, and being displaced on the roster by players such as Niners' reject, Jim Maxwell, showed that he was not committed to tap his potential. It took nearly three years for that to happen here. So, I don't regret my evaluation of Brooks. Feel free to read the reports from him a few years ago. Terms like: lazy and undisciplined were the norm. He has been reborn as a player, and good for him and us.

As for not giving credit for the free agents Baalke signed, you need to go back and re-read what I stated earlier.

Noted but there's just too many picks this year that Baalke hit where you can't simply call it luck. You are right, he isn't the worst and he isn't the best, but he only isn't better than most due to the fact that it's really only been 2 years.

However, in those 2 years, he has a damn good resume that can hold up against some of the better drafting teams.

Also, Trent Dilfer said playing with a dead squirrel is the most cutest thing he's ever seen.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM ]

LOL. Typical MD response. Not mad in the slightest, nor have you offended me. I just like to mess with you because you make it so easy. Maybe you should reread my post before you go off on one of your "Lord Baalke" tangents. I don't recall me singing his praises. You'd think as a teacher your reading comprehension would be a little better . Go have a drink MD, you seem to be a little tightly wound .

Actually, I was laughing the whole time. You were not the object of this post, which I altered while you were posting this. You would have to admit, the level of anger directed toward me is either disturbing or hilarious. I always ask if Baalke is a relative, because I cannot think of one individual I would defend to the death like some defend the Great One.

Since my feelings have been deeply hurt by some on this board, in order to rebuild 100% Board Love, I am soon going to post the most sugercoated, teeth rotting sweetheart, smoochy lovefest for Baalke thread ever written. Then, the angry will fall in love with me again, and baby seals will no longer be clubbed.

No alcohol required. I am drinking from the sweet nectar of life. And, it is good.

your like the alcoholic you doesn't think he has a problem... you have a intervention date of destiny my friend, one way or another.
Smartest man in the league is a bit of a reach. Baalke has done well, there is no doubt about that. It will be easier to determine his 2011 based on what happens in 2012 and 2013.
Originally posted by zillabeast:

Someone please photoshop this with #58 "feeling a little Captain in him" with his right leg on Dilfer's behind, .
I think an AVERAGE GM does what is obvious. There is nothing remarkable about signing big name free agents. Big name free agents are most often not worth the price.

Baalke has done things that were not obvious, but have obviously worked out well.

Personnel decisions:

- Starting Ahmad Brooks and letting Manny Lawson walk -- AMAZING decision. Manny Lawson was a good player. Who would replace him? Baalke did not see the value of paying big money to one-dimensional players. He replaced him with the wild card in Brooks and it has proven to be an upgrade. An upgrade over a widely regarded quality football player.

- Moving Soap to NT and letting Franklin walk -- AMAZING decision. Most did not think he would be as good as Aubrayo, as he did not work out too well at the position in the past. Upgraded the position. Most thought Franklin was a big time NT, but Soap has been an upgrade at NT.

- Starting McDonald at LE -- Great decision. Had been a backup. Not sure if he could play every down, hold up, or stop the run well. Some did not even think he was worth the pedestrian contract he signed. Now he is playing at a very high level. A huge upgrade over Soap at LE.

- Starting Bowman at MLB and letting Spikes walk -- AMAZING decision. EVERYBODY liked Spikes. Who thought Bowman would be an upgrade? He has been a HUGE upgrade. Incredible move.

- Not paying Dashon Goldson big money -- Great decision. We got Goldson anyway, at a much lower price then he was asking. How often does that happen in the NFL?

- Not paying Nate Clements -- Good decision. Most fans didn't like him anyway, so I can't say it was an amazing decision.

- Signing Frank Gore -- Great decision. He signed our own elite running back to a long-term deal, without the crippling price tag.

Free agents

-- Carlos Rogers -- Amazing pickup, especially for the price. We actually upgraded the position over a quality player, without spending huge money.

-- Donte Whitner -- Great pickup, badly needed to upgrade the SS. We got a reasonable price for him.

-- David Akers -- A coup. Ridiculous that we were able to upgrade this position after Nedney retired. We upgraded a great kicker with a greater one.

-- Braylon Edwards -- He has been hurt, but this was also a tremendous pickup for the price.

Draft:

Aldon Smith -- A game changer. His dominant play allowed us to escape with a victory in Detroit despite committing 100 million penalties on the road. A special player. Elite. Not a fluke in any possible way, shape or form. A grand slam out of the park. In no way was this a popular pick, yet Baalke boldly made him the #7 overall. Brilliance to the highest possible degree.

Kaepernick -- Undecided. Is the number two quarterback.

Culliver -- Has been playing great. Huge upside.

Hunter -- Playing great, great value.

Kilgore -- Undecided. Made the team. Has gotten a couple of snaps.

Johnson -- Miss.

Jones -- Made the team. Contributor on special teams.

Miller -- Big time contributor and possibly has already earned himself a starting role. ALL AFTER HAVING 5 WEEKS TO MAKE THE SWITCH FROM DE TO FB. Unreal.

Person -- Undecided. Made the team.

Holcomb -- Undecided. IR.

Last years draft. I don't believe Baalke was the GM last year, so how can we evaluate last year's draft, and put it on him, good or bad?

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/18/49ers-gm-scot-mccloughan-part-ways/

"However, head coach Mike Singletary -- who has final say in all roster decisions -- has been more actively involved in the scouting, background checks and evaluation of 49ers' free agents and draft prospects."

He has been the GM for ONE year, NOT two.
Everything prior to that is pure speculation. He might, could, would, maybe did "X" or picked "X" player prior to becoming GM. We don't know.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:22 AM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Trent Dilfer provides the cosmic balance for the existence of MadDog.

Classic
Share 49ersWebzone