LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Aldon Smith's illegal hit vs. the safety play

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why was Aldon Smith not flagged for the hit below the knees on the Lions quarterback on the play in which the 49ers scored the safety? I am glad he did not get a penalty on this play, but I am confused about the rule. What was different about this hit than the hit where he DID get the flag?
because the QB wasn't planted and throwing, he was scrambling. The first one comes as the QB steps up, plants and throws and he comes barrelling into his lower legs. Not the same.
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Why was Aldon Smith not flagged for the hit below the knees on the Lions quarterback on the play in which the 49ers scored the safety? I am glad he did not get a penalty on this play, but I am confused about the rule. What was different about this hit than the hit where he DID get the flag?

Pretending this game had an officiated crew that was worth a sh*t...I could only assume the first time Stafford was hit below the kness the play was close to being over...The play on which the saftey occured, the ball had not yet been thrown therefore the takle was legal
I think I'm wrong, but I think the ruling is that you're not allowed to be on the ground and THEN try to tackle the QB by his legs.

The safety was probably okay because Aldon Smith was going straight at Stafford's legs.

I'd like some more explanation...
Originally posted by Shorteous:
because the QB wasn't planted and throwing, he was scrambling. The first one comes as the QB steps up, plants and throws and he comes barrelling into his lower legs. Not the same.

this
Know the rules, Mississippi_Sam!
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I think I'm wrong, but I think the ruling is that you're not allowed to be on the ground and THEN try to tackle the QB by his legs.

The safety was probably okay because Aldon Smith was going straight at Stafford's legs.

This. You can't be on the ground and then project yourself forward into the QBs legs.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

This is right.

If a defensive player is on the ground, he can't lunge at the legs.

If he is on his way down and hits the qb's legs its ok.
delete
[ Edited by Shorteous on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM ]
one of the crappiest rules in the game. Thanks Tom Brady

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Cause NFL is soft and pansies
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

I thought this was due to Carson Palmer and his injury in the playoffs
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Know the rules, Mississippi_Sam!

Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

I thought this was due to Carson Palmer and his injury in the playoffs

his was cant intentionally go for a qbs legs. Bradys was player on the ground cant lunge and hit a qb in his leg.

On September 7, 2008, Pollard was involved in a play that ended with New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady being taken off the field with a knee injury and not returning for the rest of the game. It was later revealed that Pollard's hit on Brady had ended the quarterback's season.[3] Pollard later apologized for the hit, saying, "It was really an accident, I can't change what happened. I can't do anything but pray for him and hope he has a speedy recovery."[4] That hit resulted in a rules change in the NFL beginning with the 2009 season: A defensive player on the ground may no longer lunge or dive at the quarterback's lower legs.[5]

Lol
Share 49ersWebzone