There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Two Straight Opponents Coming off MNF

I just had a thought. I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about how both the Lions and Bucs came off Monday Night Football in consecutive weeks. Is it possible both of them came out a little flat because of the short turnaround weeks? Our team had an extra day of rest for each game. I hope that it wasn't a factor, but I am surprised that there hasn't been more conversation of this. We might have had the slightest edge due to this scheduling advantage. But in the case of the Lions game, I think any advantage was negated by their homefield advantage.
[ Edited by Psinex on Oct 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM ]
It had to have some negative impact on both teams, but obviously more so on TB because of the travel. But we shouldn't be apologizing for a little scheduling luck after dealing with back to back 10AM starts.
People could try to make the argument. But you can also argue they had an extra day prior and the Niners didn't. Not to mention one day doesn't really effect guys as much as the media may occasionally try to talk up, especially this early in the season.
I would say that this affected our opponents except Chicago who played Detrtoit on MNF went on to beat the Vikings 6 days later. The Colts were within 4 points of beating the Chiefs after playing the Bucs on MNF. These guys are professionals, I doubt if one day would make much of a difference.
Bucs - Disadvantage. Short week plus traveling west coast had something to do with it. Then again, before the game started, they're still bragging about winning last season and calling themselves the West Coast Killers and how Blount is gonna run right through us. *Nelson Muntz Laugh...haha!* We slaughtered them...they should've never boarded the plane and just forfeited the game. Oh well, I enjoyed every second of it.

Lions - Slight disadvantage. Yeah, one day less for them, but it offset because it was in their home stadium where we had to travel to Detroit. They were previously an undefeated team, arrogant with a conceited HC who had two losing years before finally putting a decent team together. But they relied heavily on CJ and though that would back up our coverage to allow Best to run all over us. NOT! We were definitely the superior team that had to overcome double-digit penalties, two turnovers and dropped TDs...and still found a way to win. Too bad Schwartz is a sore loser not only for the hard handshake, but because Harbaugh took a losing team in nearly a decade and turned them around in only a few weeks after a lockout off-season. I have no sympathy for them and it felt good to give them their first loss of the season in front of their own fans.

Looking at the schedule, we only have 4 days from playing the Cards to playing the Ravens. I'm sure no teams out there will feel sorry for us if we lose to the Ravens on Thanksgiving. I won't be making excuses, Harbaugh will just have to get his team ready to play his brother on a really short week.
Prediction for that cards game? Lots of Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon, w/ minimal passing... To end the game quickly, and preserve Gore and the defense.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Prediction for that cards game? Lots of Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon, w/ minimal passing... To end the game quickly, and preserve Gore and the defense.

Overlooking anyone even the cards is bad, I wouldnt be surprised, if we get surprised by one of the crappy nfc west teams, probably the rams or something.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Overlooking anyone even the cards is bad, I wouldnt be surprised, if we get surprised by one of the crappy nfc west teams, probably the rams or something.

If it's any division team we stumble and lose to, it'll be playing in Seattle second to last game of the season. That dome gets super loud (louder than in Detroit) and Niners always have a tough time playing there.

Last game will be in STL and we could rest our starters by half time, but should still win that game easily.
we'll beat the cardinals on a sunday, fly to baltimore and beat the ravens on a thursday an throw all the out the window.
well we will have to experience the same thing, if not worse shoot we play in november 3 games in 2 weeks 2 division games and the ravens on thursday night football so it evens out i think
What about the back to back East Coast teams we have to play in Cincinnati an Philly. We were disadvantaged, but we came out on top. We and they should take full credit for the wins and losses.

Oh I absolutely agree, I'm just saying that I would think something along those lines will be the gameplan going in, not saying things won't need to be changed up depending on what happens....hopefully what I suggested remains the optimistic case however
Good point. Frankly, it's the luck of the draw. Every team all seaon long will put up and deal with it. We will and we do. JH was smart enoug to stay in Ohio between 2 road games and I think that helped. That may even become a trend. In the end it is all Wins and Losses and the rest is chatter.

beating the hawks in seattle alongside the 12th man won't be exactly easy either
Originally posted by Psinex:
I just had a thought. I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about how both the Lions and Bucs came off Monday Night Football in consecutive weeks. Is it possible both of them came out a little flat because of the short turnaround weeks? Our team had an extra day of rest for each game. I hope that it wasn't a factor, but I am surprised that there hasn't been more conversation of this. We might have had the slightest edge due to this scheduling advantage. But in the case of the Lions game, I think any advantage was negated by their homefield advantage.

Whats the history of teams win and loss percentage after Monday night, that'll tell you if, historically, it has any bearing on games. My guess is, it does not hold that much of an impact on games.