LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Not tryin to jinx but what if Alex Smith goes down for the count?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by fearthe9ers:
Originally posted by Janitor:
I disagree. If Smith goes down, we will still win games. Our passing game right now is NOT the only reason we are winning games. Alex is doing great, yes, but the running game has been fantastic (Gore has 100 yards per each of the last 3 games), and the defense has shut down other offenses, making a heavy handed offense on our team unnecessary.

If Smith goes down we surely will not perform as well, but to say we lose the rest of our games is ridiculous.

good points, but i didn't say absolutely we would lose the rest off our games. AS is playing very smart EXPERIENCED football right now for us. To believe the other two could do the same is asking alot i think. JH has proven to be all we had hoped for and then some, but i don't think even he could scheme around CK. No slight on him,but he is a rookie who hasn't looked so good imo.

Fair enough. He is a rookie, and he would play like a rookie, but given how the rest of our team is doing I think that would be enough to still get us into the playoffs.
Originally posted by fearthe9ers:
I disagree. If Smith goes down, we will still win games. Our passing game right now is NOT the only reason we are winning games. Alex is doing great, yes, but the running game has been fantastic (Gore has 100 yards per each of the last 3 games), and the defense has shut down other offenses, making a heavy handed offense on our team unnecessary.

If Smith goes down we surely will not perform as well, but to say we lose the rest of our games is ridiculous.

good points, but i didn't say absolutely we would lose the rest off our games. AS is playing very smart EXPERIENCED football right now for us. To believe the other two could do the same is asking alot i think. JH has proven to be all we had hoped for and then some, but i don't think even he could scheme around CK. No slight on him,but he is a rookie who hasn't looked so good imo.

Fair enough. He is a rookie, and he would play like a rookie, but given how the rest of our team is doing I think that would be enough to still get us into the playoffs.

IMO If we had a rookie back there with the way the team was playing earlier this season, I'm almost certain we would have a lot more turnovers with the way Alex was getting sacked. Those turnovers would have cost us big time and our record wouldn't be so good right now.
Tough call. I have faith JH will make the right call. I think Kap has a rocket arm which would open up another facet of the game. I really like the cool Tolzien displays. It may take a game or two for a new QB to fit into the flow.
Honestly I only think it would affect us very slightly in the win column. Stats wise I bet we would have more yards points etc, but with it will come some boneheaded picks.
if alex goes down for the count, the backup qb comes into play, pretty straight forward to me
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Re-sign Garcia

No
What happens when any started goes down? The backup comes in and you hope they can do their part.
We run the same strategy were doing with Smith
We would get blitzed to death and our line would crumble. Smith has been outstanding when blitzed and teams are stepping back a bit which is also helping our running game. That goes out the window with a rookie stepping in and gore being the focus. Becomes two birds with one stone for defenses.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
We run the same strategy were doing with Smith

I think since we are holding smiths hand (most of the game) that Kap could easily do what limited things we are asking of Alex.

harbaugh is a miracle worker so who cares whos out there
Alex wont get hurt. He's a lot stronger than people credit him for.
I think Harbs would find away to keep defenses honest, if Colin had to play.....we'd run it up the gut if they blitzed us, and if they clog the middle...well calling a necked bootleg with Kaep might get us big gains.......then with teams trying to contain Kaep rolling to the outside, then that might spread the defense out just enough for Gore/Hunter to find creases up the middle.

yes, easier said than done......but I just don't think we'd be done for the season if Colin had to come in.
We are winning games with defense, special teams, and our running game. That wouldn't change if Alex was out.
Preseason doesn't mean s**t, people are realizing that now. Kaepernick would be just fine.
The Niners would be just fine if Alex were to get injured. I'm sure CK can throw 2 yard passes and let the defense and running game do the heavy lifting just as well as Alex. Seriously, the Niners passing offense is among the worst in the league. The key to our resurgence is defense and running game.
Share 49ersWebzone