There are 227 users in the forums

Not tryin to jinx but what if Alex Smith goes down for the count?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Tolzien hasn't had a single first or second team snap in practice for us...

Aka it's be Kaep. I wouldn't love it, but Im confident Harbaugh would know how to situationalize him to put us in the best position to win
Originally posted by MaliCali:

Aka it's be Kaep. I wouldn't love it, but Im confident Harbaugh would know how to situationalize him to put us in the best position to win

I think Kaep would get the nod as well. I'm curious why so many believe Tolzien would start over Kaep?
Originally posted by kemp_j:

I think Kaep would get the nod as well. I'm curious why so many believe Tolzien would start over Kaep?

its sort of a running joke in NT that Tolzien is God
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

joke?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by A-R-S:
joke?

Is that supposed to be a secret?
With ANY team if the starting qb goes down, the season is pretty much in jeopardy. While we can HOPE for a second coming of Tom Brady, that is more of a hope than a reality.

Kaepernick is the #2 qb, he has played in an actual NFL game in mop up time, as he should. I am a big Tolzien fan, but do not see him getting the nod until after being around for a year or so.

I finally love our qb situation. Smith, Kaepernick, Tolzien. I have confidence in all three. I shudder to think of the Tim Rattay, Cody Picket, Steve Stenstrom, Nate Davis days.
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
When did you ever think you'd see the day when we had three quality QB's on the roster? Harbaugh has really turned this team around...

Uh, when we had Montana, Young and Bono.

Tolzien is an undrafted rookie who has not taken a snap in the NFL. Not sure that qualifies as a "quality QB" just yet. Kaep is a 2nd round pick from a small college program who has thrown 3 passes in garbage time and looked terrible in preseason. Hopefully they will both be quality NFL QB's someday. Just a note of caution. Please, let's not go back to the Nate Davis days.
[ Edited by dbdublin on Oct 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM ]
I mean isnt Kaep 3-3 in passing.....thats like a 100% passer rating isnt it? Put him in and let him dominate, its what we drafted him for.....
Harbaugh is sort of doing the - Cortez scuttling his ships deal. I can't imagine he's thinking Kaep or Tolzien are capable of replacing Smith's experience in a long term meaningful way this year if Smith goes down with injury. So by having those 2 inexperience guys, he's sending the team a message -- more specifically the offensive line-- that they must protect Smith from injury to have a chance of a good season. Would be nice to have a vet qb backing up late in the season and going into the playoffs just incase.
When did you ever think you'd see the day when we had three quality QB's on the roster? Harbaugh has really turned this team around...

we have 3 quality QB's? Phew! That's a relief. For a second there, i thought we had a second round rookie project who can barely hand the ball off to his runningback and some other guy who, when he's not turning water into wine, somehow managed to go undrafted. I'm a big believer in harbaugh, but if AS goes down, it is just as likely as any other scenario, we lose the rest of our games.

Originally posted by fearthe9ers:

we have 3 quality QB's? Phew! That's a relief. For a second there, i thought we had a second round rookie project who can barely hand the ball off to his runningback and some other guy who, when he's not turning water into wine, somehow managed to go undrafted. I'm a big believer in harbaugh, but if AS goes down, it is just as likely as any other scenario, we lose the rest of our games.
This, we have an UNKNOWN in smith, A PROJECT Unkown in Kaep, and a COMPLETE UNKNown in Tolz.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by fearthe9ers:

I disagree. If Smith goes down, we will still win games. Our passing game right now is NOT the only reason we are winning games. Alex is doing great, yes, but the running game has been fantastic (Gore has 100 yards per each of the last 3 games), and the defense has shut down other offenses, making a heavy handed offense on our team unnecessary.

If Smith goes down we surely will not perform as well, but to say we lose the rest of our games is ridiculous.
Kaep time big baby!!!....Harbaugh said he was the most pro ready out of the Rooks. I'm Rollin with Harbaugh.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Wait, he isn't?
Originally posted by Janitor:
I disagree. If Smith goes down, we will still win games. Our passing game right now is NOT the only reason we are winning games. Alex is doing great, yes, but the running game has been fantastic (Gore has 100 yards per each of the last 3 games), and the defense has shut down other offenses, making a heavy handed offense on our team unnecessary.

If Smith goes down we surely will not perform as well, but to say we lose the rest of our games is ridiculous.

good points, but i didn't say absolutely we would lose the rest off our games. AS is playing very smart EXPERIENCED football right now for us. To believe the other two could do the same is asking alot i think. JH has proven to be all we had hoped for and then some, but i don't think even he could scheme around CK. No slight on him,but he is a rookie who hasn't looked so good imo.
Share 49ersWebzone