There are 211 users in the forums

Grade the job 49ers' GM Trent Baalke has done so far

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade the job 49ers' GM Trent Baalke has done so far

B+
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Kawakami Says . .

Again, there's a lot of season left to play. But if you're grading the 2011 off-season, right now, it's an A+, 1.000%, thumbs up, whatever Baalke wants to call it.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/10/21/guess-what-49ers-gm-trent-baalke-mightve-had-a-perfect-off-season/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29
Yep. Even Kawakami's eating some crow! (I think he phrased it "eating a bullet" in the article.) He's no homer, but he is willing to admit when he's been mistaken.

Makes him a better sportswriter, enhances his credibility, to me.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
As of right now it's an A+. We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out before that mark is confirmed. Next season will be a big test to see who the organization can retain and for what price.
And who they will bring in as replacements, through the draft and in FA.

Like everyone else, I like what Baalke has done so far--since being appointed GM. His moves so far give confidence that he will continue to make improvements to the roster in the future.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Olin Kreutz just quit people. This is the guy everyone said we should go after instead of Goodwin. Saint just knew they were getting an upgrade at OC.

Guess who they wish they had back......

BAALKE IS GENIUS!!!.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7131226/agent-center-olin-kreutz-walking-away-new-orleans-saints

LOL , Yeah I just saw that too , WOW.
Originally posted by noblood:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Because of the success this team has had so far AAAAAAA+ How can you go anything lower? 5-1 with 3 Non divisional road wins, really?? when was the last time that has happened.He drafted the QB, Got the Coach, CB, Drafted the Passrush and the line is actually starting to protect. all in 1 strike shorten season without breaking the bank. if everything continues on the same trend then GM of the Yr will happen.

Could not have said it any better

The reason I said A- is because there is still room for growth, The quarterback issue issue is up in the air, I like the Kaep pick and how he got it, but reality, we have to wait on that and the OL than we drafted. Also, not saying it is easy, he got it right by signing Rodgers, but it would have been perfection if it was a 3 year deal. I know -gnat $hit on the details, but that is the thing about A+, the grade will change as the season goes on.
ok, I can understand guys rating baalke a B. But C, or 1 F? Wow. Let's see.

Then: DBs sucked, LBs good, DL poor, OL sucked, running game sucked, Qb sucked, Wrs sucked, TEs were good, ST was andy Lee, and HC was worst in history of nfl

Now:DBs playing lites out, LBs fantastic (4 best in the business), Running game rehabbed, Qb rehabbed, Wrs doing well until hurt, TEs still excellent ,STs now with Ginn and Akers plus Lee are tops, and then a coach who in a mere 9 weeks picked this team up off the mat and got us to 5-1 with 3 away wins in E coast, and we destroyed a very good Bucs team, beat Vick and andy reid, beat the Lions in Detroit...unnhh, what exactly does a guy have to do to get a strong A around here?

Based on the above I can only recall Donashole, noln, in recent memory, and they surely rated Fs. Baalke? A+ and screw the fact there are still 10 reg season games to go. You B guys and C guys are pretty hard to please. no comment on the F guy.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by fryet:
A-

This year's draft class is looking very good, however last year was not so good. Anthony Davis and definitely Taylor May has not lived up to their draft status.

If I were to grade just this year, it would be A+.

I think Anthony Davis is getting better.

I haven't given up on him, but neither can I say he has been a success yet (compare him to the other first rounders, Iupati and Aldon Smith). Still, I am overall happy with the results and gave him an A- ; I just wanted to list what it would have taken to get an A+ from me.
A-

This year's draft class is looking very good, however last year was not so good. Anthony Davis and definitely Taylor May has not lived up to their draft status.

If I were to grade just this year, it would be A+.

I haven't given up on him, but neither can I say he has been a success yet (compare him to the other first rounders, Iupati and Aldon Smith). Still, I am overall happy with the results and gave him an A- ; I just wanted to list what it would have taken to get an A+ from me.

Anthony Davis went toe to toe with the Lions' D-line (mainly Suh) and held his own. I've never seen him so fired up for a game before! Granted, he is inconsistent, but I think having Adam Snyder at RG has really helped him improve.
[ Edited by PTulini on Oct 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Chico:
I give him an A+ just for Harbaugh...but, he addressed the D-line & O-line which hasn't been done in awhile so MAD PROPS to Baalke!!!

Yup. The Iupati and Davis picks were not "sexy" picks and criticized by many.

Just look at those two now. We haven't played a defense yet that can stop the power. When defenses know what's coming and still can't stop it? That's something right there.

I agree!!!!..And he will continue to get better....

I find i difficult to hang the early picks in last year's draft on Baalke. I'm pretty sure Singletary had he final word on the 53-man roster that year (he mentioned the fact that he had that language written into his contract several times in offseason interviews), so even though Jed said Baalke would run the draft, all Singletary had to do was say, "Fine, you can draft him, but I'll cut him." I wouldn't put that past big Mike. Remember the dustup in the draft room before the Mays pick? Baalke seemed more unhappy than Singletary by the time it was over. I don't think Mike would have done enough homework to weigh in on the mid-to-late round picks, but the Mays pick, in particular, REEKS of Singletary.
Share 49ersWebzone