There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I'm Glad We Got 5 Yards Free .....

As you may have heard ....

Wonder what Lord of Officiating Mike Pereira would say about this one?

An NFL spokesman acknowledged Wednesday to NFL.com that an officiating error gave the San Francisco 49ers an extra 5 yards on a crucial punt return Sunday against the Detroit Lions. San Francisco drove to the winning touchdown following the fourth-quarter miscue.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82344399/article/nfl-spokesman-official-error-gave-niners-extra-5-yards

I'm actually glad this happened. I'm sure Harbaugh will use this as motivation. The 49ers' win is in doubt - they needed help. They had to cheat to win. This will motivate the team. This will keep the chip fresh on their shoulders. They have a lot to improve and this will only add to the reasons why.

Go Niners.

Thoughts.....
Just another sign that the Detroit win was meant to be.
I don't have much thought on this other than I understand refs screwing up is a part of every game, and the great teams figure out how to overcome them.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
It makes up for the 5 yards they took from us on the BS false start they called when Walker went in motion and drew the defender offside and vernon reacted.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Otter:
It makes up for the 5 yards they took from us on the BS false start they called when Walker went in motion and drew the defender offside and vernon reacted.

this
It made up for alot of bad calls throughout the game...I saw penaties being called I had never seen called b4...I think Mike Carrey had a rule book in his back pocket and was determined to find a penalty on everything the 9ners did..
[ Edited by ktate14 on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM ]

One of several BS calls on the offense. Lions did get screwed on a couple of calls - Chop block, horse collar, etc, but I agree with OP - it's only more motivation.
Ginn ran out of bounds on the Lions sideline. If their staff was paying attention they could have challenged the spot and clearly would have won the challenge.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM ]
The refs were on the Lions side. I always feel like the refs are swayed by the NFL's inspirational story of the week. The media was all over the Lions before our game, now they don't. I think the refs favored them subconsciously or consciously.
It made up for alot of bad calls throughout the game...I saw penaties being called I had never seen called b4...I think Mike Carrey had a rule book in his back pocket and was determined to find a penalty on everything the 9ners did..
Meh, that just means the pass that was completed to Crabtree on 2nd down would've converted a first

agreed
  • g60nx
  • Veteran
suck it lions
refs dropped the ball for both teams. It's like they took over the game. Extra 5 yards and and that horse collar were really bad calls.
I agree with you all. There was holding against our D all day long .... but I want this to be used as motivation.