There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Move that sparked the turnaround for the Franchise

• Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Sing is a dead horse. I'm going to credit Jed York here. He and we wanted Harbaugh. To make that happen he needed Baalke's help and in return gave Baalke the GM position. Fans and the media was all over him for promoting someone inexperienced from within instead of looking outside for a vet GM. He stood firm, took all the sh*t from us and the media.

Jed you made it happened. Thank you

I gotta give it up for Baalke. He's done a great job. I was not happy about the Baalke hire at the time. I thought Harbaugh was a GREAT choice but had a lot of misgivings about Baalke. But looking at what he did in FA, plus the last draft, I'm impressed. Jed made the right move and Trent proved me wrong.

Regarding the Singletary move: I suspect Jed was thinking about his replacement long before that Rams game.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the turnaround was Jed deciding to make Baalke GM, because Baalke and Harbaugh are BFFs.

I actually agree with this. I was going to say signing Harbaugh, but to go back to what made that possible is probably a more accurate assertion.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Our new numbers 99 and 22 are placed in the top 10 in sacks and Int's. Our old 99 and 22 through 6 games haven't recorded a sack or an int.

THIS!

Where are all the Manny supporters now?! All of us on this board with a half a brain knew this guy stunk years ago.

As for Clements, he was decent for us for a few years but never anything spectacular. It was evident last year that he fell from mediocrity to sucky, jumping routes and making stupid plays to account for his lack of speed.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

God fellas, how great does this season feel so far? We were long overdue for this and much more. It's been a long, long wait. I've yet to come down from the high!
  • lyer
  • Veteran
shoulda fired his ass mid rams game.
Originally posted by JREED23:
the turnaround was Jed deciding to make Baalke GM, because Baalke and Harbaugh are BFFs.

I actually agree with this. I was going to say signing Harbaugh, but to go back to what made that possible is probably a more accurate assertion.

yeah, i mean, in all seriousness, the move was blasted at the time, but Baalke is an "all-ball" kind of guy and I'm fairly certain that he articulated to Harbaugh an idea of a football team, a way of doing things, that Harbaugh could sign on for. They're simpatico. Harbaugh is smart enough to not put himself in a situation where he doesn't think he can be successful, and I think Baalke helped convince him that he could do that here, in the way he wanted to.
Singletary can be credited with two things:

maturation of VD
the ad with him and Patrick Willis
looking back, you really can't blame singletary, he clearly isn't meant to be HC material. Jed is the one more responsible to be honest. He made a mistake by hiring Singletary and made up for it by getting Harbaugh. Maybe it was meant to be.
Lot's of moves to acount for. Certainly the Sing firing was a good one. As was the promotion of Balke.

No the turning point was when it was found out the old GM had issues, if he didn't have issues he might still be here
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
looking back, you really can't blame singletary, he clearly isn't meant to be HC material. Jed is the one more responsible to be honest. He made a mistake by hiring Singletary and made up for it by getting Harbaugh. Maybe it was meant to be.

Yeah agreed. Sing was unready and just lacking in the X's and O's department. He had no clue on offense, he was a Hall of Fame linebacker and a Linebacker coach, and a motivational speaker. In retrospect, pretty clearly that isn't going to cut it against even the cheating Josh McDaniels' of the world.

So we ended up with Jimmy Raye, a guy ten years retired who can't couldn't get the plays in and was apparently unfamiliar with common Internet sites. OMG the Ray-Gun office: run, run, pass, punt, it was like a 1950s horror movie.

Sing was passionate though and his heart was in the right place, if his pants always weren't.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
THIS!

Where are all the Manny supporters now?! All of us on this board with a half a brain knew this guy stunk years ago.
I am right here. And those same half brain people said alex was useless. Also many called sopo useless and it he is killing at NT.

I would think after this year(so far) people would realize how misused many of they players were.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I understand your point about Sing, but if they hadn't lured Harbaugh that moment wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

As for what player move made the bigges impact? It's close between drafting Aldon Smith and letting Takeo Spikes go, but I'd have to go with the latter. I couldn't understand all the hue and cry at the time about how indispensible Spikes was (he was a 10 year vet who had only once been on a winning team and he'd NEVER been to the playoffs), but even I had no idea how incredible NaVorro Bowman was going to be.

To me, while Patrick Willis might be able to stake a claim to NFL Defensive Player of the Year, it is Bowman who has so far been our Defensive MVP. The reason is simple: Patrick could cover the field side to side and almost single-handedly take away the opponent's running game. Now Bowman can do that too. There are only a handful of linebackers in the entire league who can do that, and here we have two of them! Now on passing downs, Bowman can spy on the back out of the backfield (did you notice him running down Jahvid Best?! That's "track star" Jahvid Best!! And he did it against Michael Vick too.

That has left Willis free to take away the tight end ONE-ON-ONE! This is HUGE! This means Whitner doesn't have to crowd the line, but can join Goldson playing deep, which in turn frees up the corners to take chances underneath. The effect on the whole defense has been electric: corners playing tight, holding the short passes to little or no gains, or breaking them up altogether, or better yet, intercepting!
[ Edited by bret on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by 52thegreat:
And Harbaugh, in 6 games with this team, has proven that Singletary should never be a HC, on the NFL level, ever again.

Amen To This ^
Just think, we had all this talent on the team. Talent that would have been cast away because the head coach was inept. Imagine if we had Pete Carrol come in here and throw everybody away.
I'm still not sure why Harbaugh got hired. After Er-wreck-son and Don-azz-hue, then the amazing GQman, noln (he doesn't deserve another letter in his name), and followed up by the incomparably horrid BM(bowel movement mike), why on earth would we expect a Harbaugh. Sure he was close by at Stanford. I would love to know who we would have gotten if Humpty's Dump had been the coach at Stanford. My interpretation: we got lucky, really , really , lucky.

In the end it doesn't matter how, just how much. And we got huge in the HC dept. If it was Baalke, ok, i like him even better than i did before. But there is a lesson here for many who thot that baalke was just another putz. Look at his drafts. Wow! If he missed on anything, it sure as heck wasn't by much. Coach Harbaugh has already proven many times over what a great coach can mean to a team. Jed, or baalke did do the one thing that has to be done for a HC. He HAS to have been an OC, so O continuity can be maintained when successful OCs move on. It rarely happens to pure DCs (noln, worse BM, with no coaching experience except LBs).